DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up sine gb 15s to run more on axis.

Is there anything I should know in advance or any tuning tips for them ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will do whatever you ask
I'm hoping by being more on axis and not firing sidways at the windshield I can increase the ambience. I already have gb 10s and am expecting a marginal difference at best. Hopefully it's better than I think it will be

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the results are in.

Center stage had a very marginal change. It's better, but very slightly.

Overall ambiance is more pronounced and a bit clearer. A lot clearer actually.

The largest difference is in clarity on the drivers side of the stage. I can hear things over there that I could not previously due to the old tweeter being buried in the corner of the dash.

I was worried that moving the tweeters closer to me would decrease stage depth but If anything it increased a bit.
I dont think it's a $400 difference but it would have been worth the extra $100 to purchase the gb15s over the gb 10's.

I'm really wanting some Utopua M tweeters. The old utopias had a level of detail that I havent heard in other tweeters. If the new utopias are better I need that in my life.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well the results are in.

The largest difference is in clarity on the drivers side of the stage. I can hear things over there that I could not previously due to the old tweeter being buried in the corner of the dash.

I was worried that moving the tweeters closer to me would decrease stage depth but If anything it increased a bit.
I dont think it's a $400 difference but it would have been worth the extra $100 to purchase the gb15s over the gb 10's.

I'm really wanting some Utopua M tweeters. The old utopias had a level of detail that I havent heard in other tweeters. If the new utopias are better I need that in my life.

Wait you have have gb10s and installed gb15s? You de realize they were designed for different applications right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the results are in.

Wait you have have gb10s and installed gb15s? You de realize they were designed for different applications right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I do. I put in gb10 oem in my stock locations as gb 15s would not fit.
That was a few years ago.
I understand the difference between the 2 very well buy what most people dont seem to realize is audiofrog makes a dedicated crossover for the gb60, gb 10 combo. It's called the 610c.
If it was a huge no no like every seems to think why is Andy selling crossovers for the combo?

Honestly, there isnt much difference. Had I not moved the 15s to on axis I doubt anyone could have even heard a difference.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I understand the difference between the 2 very well buy what most people dont seem to realize is audiofrog makes a dedicated crossover for the gb60, gb 10 combo. It's called the 610c.
If it was a huge no no like every seems to think why is Andy selling crossovers for the combo?

Honestly, there isnt much difference. Had I not moved the 15s to on axis I doubt anyone could have even heard a difference.
Are people saying the gb10 can't cleanly pair to the gb60? They did great crossed LR4 2500 with gs690's in my Grand Cherokee using all stock locations. It's a VERY capable tweeter. And congrats on the GB15's playing on axis. They're a great sounding tweeter.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Are people saying the gb10 can't cleanly pair to the gb60? They did great crossed LR4 2500 with gs690's in my Grand Cherokee using all stock locations. It's a VERY capable tweeter. And congrats on the GB15's playing on axis. They're a great sounding tweeter.
The gb60/gb10 combo isnt "ideal". It has more to do with the gb60s performance near the crossover frequency than the gb10s ability.

Supposedly there is a roll off on the gb 60 as you approach 2000hz but it was never an issue in my install. I was always cutting like crazy from 1 to 3khz.
Now it doesn't sound the best playing that high but I did a direct swap between the gb10 and gb 15s one side at a time to maximize being able to hear any differences and there aren't many.
The 10/15 sound so similar that I doubt anyone who wasnt trying to find a difference would have been able to tell. They sound that close to each other.
The reall treat for me was the enhanced imaging near the side windows. That's what I was missing and putting the tweeters pointed at the dome light compared to the old tweets firing at an angle off the windshield helped a lot in the reguard.

Still not where I want to be with the ambience so I'd doubt these will last more than a few weeks but I'll keep tinkering with the tune and see if I can dig out that extra little bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts