DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a new Honda CRZ and the stock stereo in it is actually pretty damn good. The tweeters can get kinda harsh at higher volumes though. Would I likely be okay changing out these tweeters with something else. I was thinking something along the lines of CDT HD-2 or something like that.

Would a stock amp have enough to run aftermarket tweeters. I know they dont take much power but I dont know what the tweeters are getting to begin with.

The stock stereo is 360W 2 tweeters, 2 mids, 2 rear coaxials, and a sub. You can get it without a sub and then its just 160 W so I guess that 160 is divided amongst the 6 speakers somehow.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
as long as you put the correct crossover on the new tweeters, then yes, no reason you cant do that. tweeters dont take alot of power to function.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since everything else was still stock I wasnt going to mess with the crossovers... I was looking at HD-2s because they could be crossed lower if thats how the stock ones are, but should still perform well if crossed higher.

...thats what im figureing anyway

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
what I meant was, make sure you use the HD2's crossovers it came with.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If the signal coming from the stock amp is already highpassed, I would still add a cap on each new tweeter, just to be safe.

If the OEM is full range, bit steeper slope (& more passive components that goes along with it) might be a better plan.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive bought the HD-2s in the past, unless its changed, they dont come with a crossover.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the signal coming from the stock amp is already highpassed, I would still add a cap on each new tweeter, just to be safe.

If the OEM is full range, bit steeper slope (& more passive components that goes along with it) might be a better plan.
How could I find out this information for sure?

What kind of cap would I need?

Would it go before the + into the speaker of after the - out?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Ive bought the HD-2s in the past, unless its changed, they dont come with a crossover.
if that is true, I would look at designing a crossover for them. even if the stock signal has been high passed, it is unlikely it is high passed at the right freq. (but I am willing to bet it is full range and the stock tweets have simple 6dB/oct filter on it)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, where could I find info about how to design a simple crossover? How would I remove the stock filter? Ive never used stock equipment... Is it active (built into amp) or would it just be a little passive crossover?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Passive Crossovers

can get parts from madisound.

more than likely it will be a simple cap on the tweeter. once you take it out, just look at it. if you see a little "can" attached to the tweeter, that is it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info, It looks like simply putting a cap inline to the speaker would be a sufficient crossover for it? I was thinking around 200o or 3000 hz, so maube a 20mf cap?

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Thanks for the info, It looks like simply putting a cap inline to the speaker would be a sufficient crossover for it? I was thinking around 200o or 3000 hz, so maube a 20mf cap?
that will greatly depend on that tweeter. if you put a 6db/oct filter (just a cap) on a tweeter, you could potentialy blow it. think about it this way:

At 2000hz it will start to roll of, then at 1000hz it is only 6dB down, 500hz another 6db, 250 hz another 6 db, 125hz another 6 db. that will be 24dB down, this is effectively where it will stop playing. but 125hz into most tweeters is death sentance! if you are gonna cross it that low, I would go with nothing less than a 18 or 24dB slope. those kinda crossovers are not easy or cheap to biuld. if you go with a 12dB/oct filter, then 3-4khz might work better.

do you know what the manufacturer recommends?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't find it on their site. I sent an email to their support.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the communication between myself and CDT.

Hello,

I recently bought a new Honda CR-Z. I am impressed with the stock stereo but I find that the highs can be a bit harsh for my taste at higher volumes.

It is a 360W stereo,
200 to a sub and 160 divided between the 2 tweeters, 2 mids, and 2 rear coaxials.

I am looking to replace the tweeters. In the past I owned a pair of HD-2 and really liked them. Could you please let me know the recommended crossover frequency of these speakers?

I also noticed, on your site, these ES 02BL tweeters.

ES 02 BL

Could you please let me know the same information for these tweeters.

These mid-tweeter divers give you a much wider range and wider dispersion than regular dome tweeters.
They can be used at high power from 250Hz all the way up to 20.000Hz.
It depends your your needs what frequency you want them to come in. Some installs use them from 250Hz, some from 1500Hz, and some at higher frequencies.
That ability in combination with it’s wider dispersion/smooth sound make this driver unique and very popular among many type of users.
Rgds
John
CDT support

Any other recommendations you could suggest would be welcome too.
ES-010 is also a good tweeter if you want to go with another “dome tweeter”

If you can get back to me soon, I would like to buy today if I can.

Thank you

-Chris Breidenstine

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I had a pair of hifonics 3" dome midrange once. (mid 90's) I liked it alot, but they do take some space to install.

do you have 2+ inches to mount it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A 3 inch will most def be to large for the spot. The grill looks to be about 2 inches. I will take the mounting piece out of the car tonight if I can and see if I can get a better idea of size. If its too small I might go with the ES010 he suggested.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
did you look at the mounting specs for the es010? 2 1/4" not really any smaller

BTW, I highly doubt you could find those 3" mids anymore. 15+ years ago.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3 inch diameter is too much i mean. Ive been looking around for any info regarding the stock system in the car and info is sparse to say the least. Cant even find out for sure how to get the tweeter out, but I have an idea, it looks as though its mounted to a piece of dash that I can get out. Ill see what I can do tonight.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I know how you feel. most of the time, just getting in there and start removing stuff is the only way to go. good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts