DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Facebook:

The next generation of processing, the ZAPCO new DSP-Z16 HDR (16 ch.) and DSP-Z12 HDR (12 ch.). HD means these are not just DSPs but HD audio players as well. Zapco HDR processors go beyond today's normal 24bit, 96Khz high resolution standard. The HD player in the Zapco SHDR processors is actually capable of much higher resolution than the 24bit/192kHz. We're just waiting for the music industry to catch up. An on-board Wi-Fi Access Point allows the DSP-Z16 to connect to all auxiliary devices such as the ‘In Dash’ custom controller, tablets & smartphones, PC’s, etc. R is for RTA included in the GUI. You can't set a car up for the best sound without an RTA to show you the response of the entire system in the vehicle, so the Zapco HDR processors have an accurate real time analyzer built in. The HDR processors have all the crossover, equalization, delay, and phase control you could hope for, but they don't stop there.
There is much more we could say, but there are some things we want to keep under our hat until such time as the product is actually shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Now, this is interesting...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I wonder if the RTA will come with multiple mikes to get meaningful measurements.
Also since it would require microphones for the RTA, perhaps it will also have some form of auto tuning. It's a shame seeing everyone coming out with a bunch of these "dumb" processors, hopefully some of these start getting "smarts" built in a la MS8 and H800.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
I wonder if the RTA will come with multiple mikes to get meaningful measurements.
Also since it would require microphones for the RTA, perhaps it will also have some form of auto tuning. It's a shame seeing everyone coming out with a bunch of these "dumb" processors, hopefully some of these start getting "smarts" built in a la MS8 and H800.
The Helix DSP tool has a built in 1/3 octave RTA with an "autoset" function.
A UMIK-1 or UMM-6 mic will either one work fine with the Helix.
Also you can draw your own custom curve to match to.
By today's standards though, and I'm sure folks will disagree, a 1/3 octave isn't adequate for painting freq response picture, but better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If they use the Sabre 32bit dacs then it will be an interesting DSP... They say it has Sabre dacs but no mention of it being 24 or 32bit resolution - would be a nice match with that new Sony HU...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
If I remember reading correctly they said sometime in the 2nd quarter of this year.........but I am going by memory and I do not recall where I seen it at, so I could be mistaken.

CORRECTION: I found what I was speaking of: Zapco Dsp Release Info

Look under the NEW AT 2016 CES title, you will see the processors shown and the statement "LOOK FOR THE HDR PROCESSORS TO SHIP MID-2016"

·
New CAJ Member!
434 Posts
If I remember reading correctly they said sometime in the 2nd quarter of this year.........but I am going by memory and I do not recall where I seen it at, so I could be mistaken.

CORRECTION: I found what I was speaking of: Zapco Dsp Release Info

Look under the NEW AT 2016 CES title, you will see the processors shown and the statement "LOOK FOR THE HDR PROCESSORS TO SHIP MID-2016"
Thanks. Looks like it should be out soon.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have been keeping an eye out for any new info myself and sadly the same info has been available since CES....but that should be resolved soon enough if they are punctual with the release.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Just read this again and realized these will have a remotely mounted (convenient) USB stick fed HD player built in. That's kind of a big deal. Bravo Zapco! No more dicking around looking for some way to feed the dang thing straight digital.

Glad to see the industry is beginning to make the 1 or 2 din box in a dash obsolete as a means of better-than-oem SQ, since the old guard (Pioneer and Alpine) kinda don't seem to have plans to go there any time soon, and newer cars eliminating the possibility with such heavily non-din OEM integrated setups.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My feeling is this is a good first step for Zapco but the extra channels to me are somewhat a waste without some form of surround processing to enable a true center channel and surround channels.

And while the direct USB high fidelity playback is nice, they would need to offer some sort of streaming playback from a phone or tablet to truly replace the traditional head unit.

Overall a really nice solution for a V1 but I'm hoping for more use of the extra channels and additional direct playback capability. With those two, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
8,853 Posts
My feeling is this is a good first step for Zapco but the extra channels to me are somewhat a waste without some form of surround processing to enable a true center channel and surround channels.

And while the direct USB high fidelity playback is nice, they would need to offer some sort of streaming playback from a phone or tablet to truly replace the traditional head unit.

Overall a really nice solution for a V1 but I'm hoping for more use of the extra channels and additional direct playback capability. With those two, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Right now, we have no idea exactly what the capabilities will be. You would think if they were going to include true surround sound processing (not just L+R) they would have had it in their marketing paper. But, you never know.

And there is always this vague statement...

"The HDR processors have all the crossover, equalization, delay, and phase control you could hope for, but they don't stop there. We have included functions previously available only in professional studio equipment so the master tuner can get exactly the results he wants.
In fact there are some features that have never been offered before in any equipment. We developed there functions in conjunction with top audio competitors and judges by asking them to assume that anything is possible and asking "what would your dream product do"

To me, this is a "catch all" statement that would allow Zapco flexibility to add or remove features of the selected DSP ship right up until the ship date. Whether this was due to development time, licensing costs, consumer feedback, or something else entirely.

1 - 20 of 462 Posts