DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

401 - 420 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
you connect to the dsp over wifi to control the unit/software...and play music over bluetooth... my understanding is they did it that way so you can play music over bluetooth and tune over wifi at the same time... all wirelessly... theoretically.
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I was thinking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks! I love the way they are going with the media player. Next year or 2 will be huge with DSPs taking over for HU's!!!

Zapco needs to make some tuning vids showing how the software works - Ie: like Josiah did with the Helix stuff!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Awesome Ben. Thanks for your time in testing & demo'ing this. :thumbsup:

RTFM, LOL! Yeah, that gets us every time. :p

I think I posted my concerns way back in the thread on the probability of the HD Player being limited to FAT32. Kind of a bummer, but it is what it is. I suspect that you are correct when wanting to use a larger than 32GB capacity Thumbdrive/HHD/SSD in that it will require multiple 32GB partitions on the drive.

But I'm really happy to hear that the SQ with the HD Player is at least as good, if not better, than other digital playback interfaces. :) I think this *might* need a true A/B/X blind test to be proven due to possible confirmation bias and the McGurk effect, but I'm sure that your ears aren't lying to you either. ;) If it was worse, you'd surely notice lost or masked details that you are familiar with.

Notes on the HD Player Interface & Display:

Overall it looks really nice, responds quick enough, an the UI with the screen & rotary commander seem well thoughtout.

A small nitpick, but I'd like to see just a little bit faster Scrolling of the filenames/track titles, etc, especially for those long filenames. If it's not user-adjustable, I'm sure it could be modified in a firmware update.

I also suspected that the HD Player would not make use ID3 Tags or Album Artwork, so what you get is a basic Folder/File/Filename structure & hierarchy, & subsequent display. While not the most convenient or flashy, it is solid, reliable, & predicable.

Is there any way to randomly "Shuffle" ALL of the tracks, whether globally (the entire drive) or within a single Folder? Or you would have to manually create a "mixtape" Folder with the tracks you prefer?

I think Scott or someone else mentioned that you can use Playlists, but you would have to manually create them outside of the HD player interface, i.e. on your computer, then load onto your USB drive.

Due to the size of the touchscreen, from a convenience & safety aspect, I can't really see using this as my "Daily Driver" playback interface. Your hands & fingers looked massive in comparison to the HD Player remote. I think it would be a bit cumbersome while driving. Though I'm sure it works fine for use in competitions and demo'ing while static.

Ultimately, sound quality is obviously the most important aspect for all of us, and it looks as if Zapco has nailed it in that regard, so a huge :thumbsup:

Thanks again for taking the time to record the video.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Many thanks for the video, Ben! Looks like they really did their homework with this one. I am patiently waiting for mine to arrive to me and get it installed. Comp season over here is starting up soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Uh, oh. I feel really stupid. I read the manual regarding FAT32 format, bought a 1TB flash drive, and used third party software to reformat the flash drive from NTFS to FAT32. My Zapco unit has not arrived yet, but am now concerned about the flash drive. Is it also necessary to partition the flash drive into 32g partitions? Can anyone out there provide additional FAT32 insight? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Uh, oh. I feel really stupid. I read the manual regarding FAT32 format, bought a 1TB flash drive, and used third party software to reformat the flash drive from NTFS to FAT32. My Zapco unit has not arrived yet, but am now concerned about the flash drive. Is it also necessary to partition the flash drive into 32g partitions? Can anyone out there provide additional FAT32 insight? Thanks!
No files larger than 4GB, no partitions larger than 2TB. Those are the fat32 filesystem limitations. There may be others imposed by the Zapco hardware. I've never had any problems with exceeding supposed hardware limitations, as long as the filesystem is correct.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
Ben- nice video. Can you use the rotary knob to scroll through tracks? Can you press and hold the up/down arrows to scroll through tracks? Or do you need to press each time?
How about preset selection in the dsp, is that an instant change like on the Z8 IV models, or does it take some time to load, like the Helix?
What does the output level go to on the rotary volume controller? 0db? Or higher?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Knob doesn’t control scrolling.

You *can* hold down the arrow buttons to quickly scroll (thanks, hadn’t tried that yet).

Idk about switching tunes yet - I’ve only got one tune loaded. I’d assume/hope it’s instant like the IV...

And the volume goes to 0.

:)

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
No problem - glad it helped someone.

Happy to make more to answer any specific questions as needed.
So with the Dash Board Control, are you able to control the volume of your Sub channels separately?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got the HDSP “installed” last night. Ran in to some issues along the way. Most of them were related to the supplied USB cable. It says in the manual that you should use a shorter USB cable for initial set-up as the supplied longer one may not work properly with certain PCs. This seemed to be the case for me. It would start to load and then and error message would pop up. I’m new to this type of DSP software and newish to the work of PC as well. Been a Mac guy for some years...another topic.

Now I need to learn this software. I’m having an issue where most of the sound is coming out of the right side and the balance L to R doesn’t really do anything. It’s got to be something with my settings, so I’ll keep at it...

·
Registered
495 Posts
I got the HDSP “installed” last night. Ran in to some issues along the way. Most of them were related to the supplied USB cable. It says in the manual that you should use a shorter USB cable for initial set-up as the supplied longer one may not work properly with certain PCs. This seemed to be the case for me. It would start to load and then and error message would pop up. I’m new to this type of DSP software and newish to the work of PC as well. Been a Mac guy for some years...another topic.

Now I need to learn this software. I’m having an issue where most of the sound is coming out of the right side and the balance L to R doesn’t really do anything. It’s got to be something with my settings, so I’ll keep at it...
Ok, all is right in the world again. My HDSP is up and running flawlessly. When in doubt...RTFM...as Ben said in his video. Once you get the hang of it, the software is easy to work with. I actually had to purchase a PC laptop to run this thing. 15inch screen FTW. I can't imagine running that software off of anything much smaller.

Incredible unit. First listening impressions are extremely pleasing.

401 - 420 of 462 Posts