DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

441 - 460 of 491 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a quick update on what I have discovered for the past days.

The metadata files that I found are embedded into every folders that had music files. It seems to be created by Zapco HDSP-V when it access the flash drive.
The metadata files are classified as "hidden system files" so need to go to file explorer to change setting to make it visible.

Using the Daft Punk "Random Access Memories" album, which I purchased from HDtracks as test subject, this is what I found in the metadata files.

metadata_ls is a text files that seems to list the songs details in the folder. Here's the content of metadata_ls.
"v2
8F0D2722389ED535A9B20DE3CE4AA802
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/01-Give Life Back to Music.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
01-Give Life Back to Music.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/02-The Game of Love.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
02-The Game of Love.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/03-Giorgio by Moroder.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
03-Giorgio by Moroder.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/04-Within.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
04-Within.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/05-Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
05-Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/06-Lose Yourself to Dance (feat. Pharrell Williams).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
06-Lose Yourself to Dance (feat. Pharrell Williams).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/07-Touch (feat. Paul Williams).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
07-Touch (feat. Paul Williams).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/08-Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
08-Get Lucky (feat. Pharrell Williams).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/09-Beyond.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
09-Beyond.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/10-Motherboard.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
10-Motherboard.wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/11-Fragments of Time (feat. Todd Edwards).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
11-Fragments of Time (feat. Todd Edwards).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/12-Doin' It Right (feat. Panda Bear).wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
12-Doin' It Right (feat. Panda Bear).wav
/Daft Punk/Random Access Memories_High Res/13-Contact.wav
ARTIST UNKNOWN
ALBUM UNKNOWN
13-Contact.wav"

"8F0D2722389ED535A9B20DE3CE4AA802" might be the MD5 Hash for the folder, which I cannot verify.

As for metadata_ls.md5, it's also a text file containing the MD5 Hash of metadata_ls file. Here's it's content.
"CF08CDEEF8A35A5C4DAB64DB68D4F765"
I have verify it using HashMyFiles app.

My 1TB SSD from Sandish came in yesterday and I load all my music into the SSD after reformat it to Fat32 but HDplayer can't pull any music files from it. When I plug it back to my computer I did not find any metadata files.

My guess is that Zapco HDSP-V created the metadata files and uses the metadata files to load music files

I'm currently ran out of idea of what I can do now. :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello all.

I see people are having issues with the file structure so let me shed some light on what is working for me.

First off. The file structure has to be FAT32, it has already been said multiple times but let's start there. I use the following 3rd party program to do it on my hard drives. Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd super quick and easy. No need to change any setting tell it which drive location and let it do its thing.

Secondly. Don't load music files other than what it will play. No DSD, No M3u, No M4a... nothing other than what it was designed to play. It will display "bad format" and then reset and put you back on the top level of the file structure. Be patient go thru your library and the get it correct. You will only have to do it once.

Third. REMOVE THE ARTWORK from your file structure. If you're like me, you just copied all the files from your computer as they were including all album artwork. Well, that locks up the unit and causes an issue with the player as it was not designed to read those files. Remove them, I realize it sucks to go thru folder after folder to remove them but do it. You'll only have to do it once. I am using 2 separate hard drives one Seagate and one WD, both are 2TB and both have no issues. The Seagate has 1.2g and the HD has 1.7g of music.

Lastly, there will be future updates that will make life easier with the file structure and using the controller.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did some test after advice from SQHemi.

Did a clean-up on my 1TB Portable SSD, removing all the un-necessary files and now it left with only FLAC, WAV & MP3. It has 300GB worth of music and only 3 folders deep, Genre > Artist > Album Title.
Plug it back into Zapco, HPplayer appears but it still show as no file listed. Very disappointed and demoralizing. :(:(:(

Mind you that my Sony Flash Drive (16GB) also has some non-music files in it, like album artwork, PDF, CUE, etc and Zapco can retrieve the music files.
It's 2 folders deep (Artist > Album Title) and has a total of 6 albums.
I did a clean-up as precaution and added 3 more albums into it. Zapco can read it!!!

Is the folder structure too deep, causing the problem?

Once I have the time, I'm gonna do some additional test listed below.
1) 2 folders deep vs 3 folders deep
2) Load 10 albums at a time until reaching 50 albums then 50 albums at a time until issues found. Check for any folders/music files limit, if any.
3) Check music file names for any unusual character in it, which might be causing some issues.
4) Put the same metadata files on the Sony flash drive into the Sandisk SSD and test whether it works or not.

Feel free to let me know what other test you're interested in so that I can give it a shot.

Another point to note on the HDplayer for those who might want to install HDSP-V. It only listing the names of folders with music files in it. It's not like other music player that let you "scroll" thru the folders and user can select it down to the folders with music.
For example, you won't see the Artist Name folder but the Album Name folder only even though you structured to Artist Name > Album Name.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did some further testing during the past days and here's what I discovered.

Testing Tools Details
1) Sony 16GB USB3.0 Flash Drive - only flash drive to read without fail till date
  • 291 Files, 22 Folders, 12.5GB worth of music files
  • 2 folders deep only, Artist Name > Album Name
  • Have never fail when plugged into Zapco, even after adding more albums
2) Sandisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Test Tool#1 (TT1) is the benchmark and all testing done on Test Tool#2 (TT2).

Test 1
TT2 having same content as TT1 except that there's a parent directory to test 3 folders deep file structure.
Results: Fail. DIR shows the folder name but ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE shows "List Empty".
At DIR, when select a song to play, it pop up "BAD FORMAT!". Subsequently no songs can be selected to play

Test 2
TT2 re-formatted after Test 1 and now having exactly same content as TT1.
Results: Pass. Can read and can play.
Conclusion: HDplayer has problem supporting folders more than 3 folders deep.

Other Findings & Observations

1) Do not support special character, like "dot", in folder or file name. It will mess up HDplayer when displaying in DIR/ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE.

2) Can display English, Chinese (Simplfied/Tranditional) and Japanese character. Not able to display Korean character, showing a rectangular box for each character.

3) In Dir view, the folders name are not sorted totally by alphabetical orders.
Example:
A1 > A1A, A1B, A1C
A2 > A2A, A2B
B1 > B1A, B1B, B1C
DIR View: A1A, A1B, A1C, A2A, A2B, B1A, B1B, B1C

4) When a "bad" flash drive is installed, the volume control will stop working after 5-10 secs from power up. Change selection from " HDPlayer" to "Radio/CD" doesn't help. All other menu selection works.

For now, I will stick to the Sony 16GB flash drive to use until Zapco release updated firmware to resolve some of the issues, bugs and limitations that the HDplayer has.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have confirmed your 3 layers deep issue on my unit and reported to the Zapco engineer handling this issue which he confirmed as they are currently working on a firmware update to fix that. I also have a new software version that's not on their site yet that I can send if you pm me your email.:):):)

Did some further testing during the past days and here's what I discovered.

Testing Tools Details
1) Sony 16GB USB3.0 Flash Drive - only flash drive to read without fail till date
  • 291 Files, 22 Folders, 12.5GB worth of music files
  • 2 folders deep only, Artist Name > Album Name
  • Have never fail when plugged into Zapco, even after adding more albums
2) Sandisk 256GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive

Test Tool#1 (TT1) is the benchmark and all testing done on Test Tool#2 (TT2).

Test 1
TT2 having same content as TT1 except that there's a parent directory to test 3 folders deep file structure.
Results: Fail. DIR shows the folder name but ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE shows "List Empty".
At DIR, when select a song to play, it pop up "BAD FORMAT!". Subsequently no songs can be selected to play

Test 2
TT2 re-formatted after Test 1 and now having exactly same content as TT1.
Results: Pass. Can read and can play.
Conclusion: HDplayer has problem supporting folders more than 3 folders deep.

Other Findings & Observations

1) Do not support special character, like "dot", in folder or file name. It will mess up HDplayer when displaying in DIR/ARTIST/ALBUM/TITLE.

2) Can display English, Chinese (Simplfied/Tranditional) and Japanese character. Not able to display Korean character, showing a rectangular box for each character.

3) In Dir view, the folders name are not sorted totally by alphabetical orders.
Example:
A1 > A1A, A1B, A1C
A2 > A2A, A2B
B1 > B1A, B1B, B1C
DIR View: A1A, A1B, A1C, A2A, A2B, B1A, B1B, B1C

4) When a "bad" flash drive is installed, the volume control will stop working after 5-10 secs from power up. Change selection from " HDPlayer" to "Radio/CD" doesn't help. All other menu selection works.

For now, I will stick to the Sony 16GB flash drive to use until Zapco release updated firmware to resolve some of the issues, bugs and limitations that the HDplayer has.

Reactions: kennethteng

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Did some further testing during the past days and here's what I discovered....
Kenneth, thanks for all of your time in testing this!

Do any of your music files have Embedded Artwork??? If so, will they play okay or does this cause problems for the HD Player?

I have confirmed your 3 layers deep issue on my unit and reported to the Zapco engineer handling this issue which he confirmed as they are currently working on a firmware update to fix that. I also have a new software version that's not on their site yet that I can send if you pm me your email.:):):)
Joe, thanks for your response to these problems. Is there any timeline for the fixes & HD Player update? Are we talking a few days, a week, a month, or?

As above, will the HD Player handle FLAC, AAC, or MP3 files that have EMBEDDED ARTWORK (not a separate picture file that is kept in the same folder with the music files, but album cover artwork that's actually embedded into the music file)???

ALL of my Music Library of over 10,000 songs that are in FLAC, MP3, or AAC have Embedded Artwork in each actual music file. Only my WAV files do not have Embedded Artwork, but instead have a separate Album Art image placed in each folder along with the corresponding music files.

Every other Computer-based or SmartDevice-based music player program or app that I've used (A LOT) has had no problem displaying the Embedded Album Art or playing these files...

Will the HD Player support music files with Embedded Art?

Also, can you please ask your engineering/development team if they could provide a dedicated HDSP Update/Download Page on the ZAPCO website that includes a DATED CHANGE LOG with VERSION #'s for any & all of the Software/Firmware Downloads?

The Change Log with Date & Version # should state exactly what bug fixes have been made and what features have been added, etc.

A separate, but corresponding PDF document that outlines the Update Process for each update file would be advisable to reduce tech support inquiries.

In addition, a downloadable User Manual that is updated to reflect the added features and improvements would be great as well. I think that this is especially important to outline the File/Folder Hierarchy and any limitations (as noted above) in regards to using the HD Player with USB storage.

The above is "industry standard" & common practice, and pretty much expected for any & all software/firmware products.

Is there another Blog/Vlog/Forum that is dedicated to information regarding the new HDSP processors?

Thanks again for all of your time and attention here!

Billy B.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Do any of your music files have Embedded Artwork??? If so, will they play okay or does this cause problems for the HD Player?

Billy B.
FLAC/MP3/AAC support embedded artwork/metadata and they all can play very well in HDplayer when I tested it.
WAV don't support embedded artwork/metadata so should not cause any problem.

My original Sony flash drive also have JPEG Album Artwork in every music folders and they did not cause any issues. I have removed them as a precaution since it was mentioned it may cause issue to HDplayer.

I'm requesting the new Zapco firmware from SQHemi and hopefully it solve the folder 3 layers deep issue. I will test it out on my Sandisk Extreme SSD, which has close to 300GB of high res music (791 folders, 9566 files).

·
Registered
3,542 Posts

FLAC/MP3/AAC support embedded artwork/metadata and they all can play very well in HDplayer when I tested it.
WAV don't support embedded artwork/metadata so should not cause any problem.

My original Sony flash drive also have JPEG Album Artwork in every music folders and they did not cause any issues. I have removed them as a precaution since it was mentioned it may cause issue to HDplayer.

I'm requesting the new Zapco firmware from SQHemi and hopefully it solve the folder 3 layers deep issue. I will test it out on my Sandisk Extreme SSD, which has close to 300GB of high res music (791 folders, 9566 files).
Thanks for confirming that files with Embedded Art worked in the HD Player. :thumbsup: That's a big relief.

Please keep us posted on how the updated firmware handles the multi-layer subfolder issue.

·
Registered
18,487 Posts
I’d like to provide a heads-up on problems I’m experiencing with respect to flash drive folder / file compatibility with the HD player. As I sit here writing this note, my truck is in the driveway with the stereo stuck to on, producing a dudududududu………static that won’t cease. The director froze up.
[/I]
Just a heads up, the director is the name of a controller for another brands dsp, so this might be a bit confusing for others

Reactions: ryanr7386

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for confirming that files with Embedded Art worked in the HD Player. :thumbsup: That's a big relief.

Please keep us posted on how the updated firmware handles the multi-layer subfolder issue.

I have received the new firmware but have yet to test it as I need to attend some urgent personal matters for the past days.
My personal matters had been settled so I will test the new firmware this weekend.

Something did happened on my Zapco HDSP-V. It died on me while I was using it for approx 2+ hrs continuously during my drive up to Malaysia. The HDPlayer sudden goes blank and I can't power up again.

While I came back home, I went down to my installer and was told that Zapco just sent them replacement Power Supply Modules to replace those 1st Gen HDSP-V that my installer had installed.
Mine being one of them, my installer replaced the Power Supply Module and everything is back to normal.

Only visible changes is the heatsink color is now black and a black "jumper" wire is now moved to the back of the PCBA.
Sound wise, my installer is commenting that the sound is now less harsh after the upgrade.

My HDSP-Z8V & Z-400.2AP (for my sub) also arrived but will have to wait till end-Jul before they can be installed on my ride.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I have received the new firmware but have yet to test it as I need to attend some urgent personal matters for the past days.
My personal matters had been settled so I will test the new firmware this weekend.

Something did happened on my Zapco HDSP-V. It died on me while I was using it for approx 2+ hrs continuously during my drive up to Malaysia. The HDPlayer sudden goes blank and I can't power up again.

While I came back home, I went down to my installer and was told that Zapco just sent them replacement Power Supply Modules to replace those 1st Gen HDSP-V that my installer had installed.
Mine being one of them, my installer replaced the Power Supply Module and everything is back to normal.

Only visible changes is the heatsink color is now black and a black "jumper" wire is now moved to the back of the PCBA.
Sound wise, my installer is commenting that the sound is now less harsh after the upgrade.

My HDSP-Z8V & Z-400.2AP (for my sub) also arrived but will have to wait till end-Jul before they can be installed on my ride.

Thanks again, Kenneth. I'm happy that your power supply problem was solved quickly and that nothing else was damaged as a result of the 1st Gen power supply crapping out. Will your new HDSP-Z8V also need the updated PSU swap?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The HDSP-Z8 comes with the updated power supply.

Thanks again, Kenneth. I'm happy that your power supply problem was solved quickly and that nothing else was damaged as a result of the 1st Gen power supply crapping out. Will your new HDSP-Z8V also need the updated PSU swap?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a quick update. The "firmware" that I received was actually the beta version of DCP Software v.2.9.2 rc3, which is also available at Zapco Support page.
I installed the software, hook up the USB and run it but I don't think it make any changes to the functionality of HDPlayer.

One thing that I notice is that if you let the HDPlayer turn off by itself when you switch off the ignition, it will resume playback from where it stops when you turn on the ignition.
If you mute it prior switching off the ignition, HDPlayer will not resume playback. It just turn on and you will have to select a song to play.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Although I encountered problems with an early production unit, I’d like to offer this optimistic note regarding the outstanding product support I’ve received from Aurigin. Like many of you, I was captivated by early development Zapco advertising, and eagerly awaited production release (foregoing competing products). Then, presented with an opportunity to finally purchase that for which I had waited so long, I faced the same dilemma as yourselves. Should I jump in and buy an early production unit, or wait until the bugs have been worked out? Should I invest in immature technology, or take a more prudent path? I wanted to let you know that although I didn’t choose the more prudent path, I’ve landed in a good place.

I experienced early issues, and Zapco is still in the process of resolving problems. That said, there is good news. I discovered Aurigin has my back. My issues have been addressed, I’m listening to great music, and have well founded faith that production updates are forthcoming. Those of a prudent nature should probably wait a bit longer before jumping in. However, I doubt prudence is prevalent among followers of this thread, or members of this mobile audio community for that matter! For what it’s worth, I’ve been very pleased with Aurigin service support. Good luck in your future endeavors!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Although I encountered problems with an early production unit, I’d like to offer this optimistic note regarding the outstanding product support I’ve received from Aurigin. Like many of you, I was captivated by early development Zapco advertising, and eagerly awaited production release (foregoing competing products). Then, presented with an opportunity to finally purchase that for which I had waited so long, I faced the same dilemma as yourselves. Should I jump in and buy an early production unit, or wait until the bugs have been worked out? Should I invest in immature technology, or take a more prudent path? I wanted to let you know that although I didn’t choose the more prudent path, I’ve landed in a good place.

I experienced early issues, and Zapco is still in the process of resolving problems. That said, there is good news. I discovered Aurigin has my back. My issues have been addressed, I’m listening to great music, and have well founded faith that production updates are forthcoming. Those of a prudent nature should probably wait a bit longer before jumping in. However, I doubt prudence is prevalent among followers of this thread, or members of this mobile audio community for that matter! For what it’s worth, I’ve been very pleased with Aurigin service support. Good luck in your future endeavors!
I absolutely second the above statement. Ran in to some early on issues myself and the Aurigin Team stepped up immediately. Top notch customer service and support.

Cheers

Reactions: benny z

·
Registered
31 Posts
New firmware version 1.0.8 is now available at HDSP-V Support Page.
https://www.zapco.com/hdsp-5-support

Here's are the old vs new software version:
HDSP-16V Factory
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.4r
DSP - v1.6.2r

HDSP-8V Factory
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.4r
DSP - v1.6.2r

HDSP-8V After Firmware Upgrade
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.5r
DSP - v1.6.3r

No function or audible difference. All the limitations listed previous not resolved.
Hopefully Zapco can share the Change Log.

Some new bugs/limitations discovered before the firmware upgrade.
1) Happens on HDSP-8v but not HDSP-16v. When the HD Player boot up and start playing song from where it last stop, it will play for a few seconds and then it will stutter for a few seconds and then went back to normal but with a knocking sound in the background. Have to switch track for the knocking sound to go away. It's quite annoying.
To prevent it from happening, I have to pause the music for at least 5 secs when it started to play music so that the knocking sound will not appear.

2) After loading some new songs into the USB drive, user must power up the HDSP once without the USB drive before turning it off and then plug in the USB drive. I presume doing that HDSP will be able to recognize the changes to the USB Drive.
If you did not do the above sequence and plug in the updated USB Drive and do the first boot up, it will shows "Bad Format" when trying to play any selected tracks. After which the HD Player will not work. Need to perform the above sequence to get the system back to normal.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
New firmware version 1.0.8 is now available at HDSP-V Support Page.
https://www.zapco.com/hdsp-5-support

Here's are the old vs new software version:
HDSP-16V Factory
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.4r
DSP - v1.6.2r

HDSP-8V Factory
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.4r
DSP - v1.6.2r

HDSP-8V After Firmware Upgrade
Dash - v1.1.1r
Main - v1.2.0d
HD Player - v1.0.5r
DSP - v1.6.3r

No function or audible difference. All the limitations listed previous not resolved.
Hopefully Zapco can share the Change Log.

Some new bugs/limitations discovered before the firmware upgrade.
1) Happens on HDSP-8v but not HDSP-16v. When the HD Player boot up and start playing song from where it last stop, it will play for a few seconds and then it will stutter for a few seconds and then went back to normal but with a knocking sound in the background. Have to switch track for the knocking sound to go away. It's quite annoying.
To prevent it from happening, I have to pause the music for at least 5 secs when it started to play music so that the knocking sound will not appear.

2) After loading some new songs into the USB drive, user must power up the HDSP once without the USB drive before turning it off and then plug in the USB drive. I presume doing that HDSP will be able to recognize the changes to the USB Drive.
If you did not do the above sequence and plug in the updated USB Drive and do the first boot up, it will shows "Bad Format" when trying to play any selected tracks. After which the HD Player will not work. Need to perform the above sequence to get the system back to normal.
What if anything have you heard about Sub Control coming in an Update to the firmware?

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Why am I Only hearing Crickets??????????????

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why am I Only hearing Crickets??????????????
I don't think anyone has the answer to your question, as myself do not have an answer. And it seems like not many people using HDSP-V in their ride.

I'm currently having speakers & amplifier issues so I have not been using HDSP-V for the past months. Hopefully I can find time (been tied up with something called LIFE) to resolve the issue so that I can get back to enjoy my music.

441 - 460 of 491 Posts