DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of searching on here and ended up picking up the Massive RK6's for my front setup. I installed them and with a Hifonics 100x4 they sound decent. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on a better set of front components for under 200 or if i should try to tune some more and stick with the Massives. To be clear I'm running a clarion equalizer hooked to a ken wood receiver, and a ported Rockford Punch 3 sub on a MB quart 1500 watt amp. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
do you not like the RK6's?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are alright, the tweeters are pretty harsh and i was thinking was there anything that was a little more balanced for the money

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol, I was waiting for you to mention the super bright tweeters, lol. that is pretty much what everyone who gets that set says. if you pad them down, run off axis and replace the stock x-over with one that crosses a little lower, I understand they will sound better.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
there are alot of things that are better. just a matter of money, lol.

just take the crossovers off and run the tweeters and midbasses to thier own channel (like a 4ch amplifier) then you can actively cross them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry I'm new at this lol, what do you mean by "then i can actively cross them", do you mean that once they are setup on the 4 channel amp i can tune them to my liking? would i need some kind of a bass blocker or crossover for the tweets?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ok, so when you run an (active set up) you dont use the passives that came with the set.
You have to have an alternative way of crossing everything over via a mini dsp or if you have a amp that has the cross over that can go high like 3000 and can bandpass the mid with a lowpass and a high pass filter. Then you can run an active set up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I currently have the RK6's bridged on my hifonics amp with 400x2....now if i go active i will only be getting 100x4......do u think i should try to tune with the equalizers and the crossovers on the amp more or just run active? Opinions?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I currently have the RK6's bridged on my hifonics amp with 400x2....now if i go active i will only be getting 100x4......do u think i should try to tune with the equalizers and the crossovers on the amp more or just run active? Opinions?
tuning the speakers with the x-overs and eq on the amplifier IS running active. you are using active(electronic) crossovers instead of passives.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What they are trying to tell you is to run channels 1 & 2 for instance on the tweets. Cross them up at 3000 or so Hz, and run channels 3 & 4 to the mids, and cross them up at whatever frequency. That way, you are using the crossovers in the amp to cross the components instead of the passive crossovers that came with the set.

If the tweeters are too harsh, this would be one way to correct that issue. Do some reading on active setups and you will learn a lot.

Don't know the capabilities of the Hifonics amp, but probably not enough tweaking abilities to do this.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
TBO, without an RTA to see how they are responding in car, it would just be a guess. do you have an EQ?

as I mentioned before, if you have not, run them off axis, this will eliminate some of the brightness. cross them a little lower than stock (about 2.6khz) and see if they sound better.

the trouble is, taking a speaker that doesnt sound real good to begin with and trying to make it sound good. maybe look at replacing the tweeters, keep the midbasses if you like em.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I actually have the hu eq as well as a clarion eq that has a lot more tuning capability
ok, I can only say, start listening and making changes. alot of times harshness in tweeters is in the 4-5khz area or near the crossover point. pick an EQ point and boost that signal to see if it gets worse. if it does, then cut it a few db to see if it sounds better. you just have to methodically go from one band to another. only adjust one at a time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts