DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey newb here :) anyways, got a quick question. i have a small system in my car, currently runnin an infinity 5channel 5350 amp and it plays super loud through the door speakers but the 150x1 on the sub channel was getting drowned out by the door speaks. so i bought a dvc sub to run my amp channel on the 2ohm 300x1 so i could even things out. now, i dont know a whole lot about the stereo stuff. i think i might have bought the wrong sub. i bought the infinty 104.7w which hast he selectable 8/2ohm switch on it. so i wired from my amp pos to pos, neg to neg, put the switch on 2ohm and turned everything on. it sounds ok, not as good as i was hoping. it also jumps like crazy even with the volume at about 25% of max. it just doesnt sound totally right. did i buy the right sub or am i running this totally wrong? i was just tryin to keep the door speaks at the 4ohm and run the sub off 2ohm and im about to buy a new so i want to make sure that this sub will work with it too. thanks ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
hey newb here :) anyways, got a quick question. i have a small system in my car, currently runnin an infinity 5channel 5350 amp and it plays super loud through the door speakers but the 150x1 on the sub channel was getting drowned out by the door speaks. so i bought a dvc sub to run my amp channel on the 2ohm 300x1 so i could even things out. now, i dont know a whole lot about the stereo stuff. i think i might have bought the wrong sub. i bought the infinty 104.7w which hast he selectable 8/2ohm switch on it. so i wired from my amp pos to pos, neg to neg, put the switch on 2ohm and turned everything on. it sounds ok, not as good as i was hoping. it also jumps like crazy even with the volume at about 25% of max. it just doesnt sound totally right. did i buy the right sub or am i running this totally wrong? i was just tryin to keep the door speaks at the 4ohm and run the sub off 2ohm and im about to buy a new so i want to make sure that this sub will work with it too. thanks ;)
Okay, so that sub should only have one set of terminals. The 2/8 switch is connected to internal wiring that determines whether or not the voice coils are wired in series (8 ohms) or parallel (2 ohms). You should bridge your amp and connect the bridged channel to the single set of terminals, and set the switch to 2. You're done!

To bridge the amp, connect the (+) from the right channel and the (-) from the left channel (or visa versa) to the same polarity on the sub.

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
lurker,
Your amp is not 1 ohm stable :( you need to connect the sub at 8 ohms in series ]

# Power Output: 50 watts RMS x 4 channels + 150 watts RMS x 1 channels at 4 ohms and ≤ 1% THD + Noise 60 watts x 4 + 300 watts x 1 at 2 ohms, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1% THD + N2Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 85dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)

Infinity - Car Audio

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
lurker,
Your amp is not 1 ohm stable :( you need to connect the sub at 8 ohms in series ]

# Power Output: 50 watts RMS x 4 channels + 150 watts RMS x 1 channels at 4 ohms and ≤ 1% THD + Noise 60 watts x 4 + 300 watts x 1 at 2 ohms, 14.4V supply and ≤ 1% THD + N2Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 85dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)

Infinity - Car Audio
He says his new sub is 2ohms, his amp is rated for 300x1 @2ohms.

And you won't be bridging anything on a 5 channel amp, if you are hooking it up to the sub channel.

Set the sub to 2 ohms, wire it to the 5th channel,+ to + - to - and you're good to go.

If things aren't sounding right and you have it hooked up right. It could very likely be the box. What kind of enclosure do you have for this sub?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He says his new sub is 2ohms, his amp is rated for 300x1 @2ohms.

And you won't be bridging anything on a 5 channel amp, if you are hooking it up to the sub channel.

Set the sub to 2 ohms, wire it to the 5th channel,+ to + - to - and you're good to go.

If things aren't sounding right and you have it hooked up right. It could very likely be the box. What kind of enclosure do you have for this sub?
thats exactly how i got it set up, + to + and - to - with the switch set on 2ohms. i have a sealed enclosure approx .75. i added a small amount of poly fill to it. the sub just doesnt sound as tight as i was expecting. i think the amp may be just a lil overworked. im runnin 4ga power and ground, so i know my wiring is up to the task. i just ordered a kicker 5 channel with the class D 5th channel cause i needed a lil more power anyways. so im hoping runnin the sub closer to its RMS might help the quality. you think my enclosure is ok for this sub?

·
Registered
997 Posts
i bought the infinty 104.7w which hast he selectable 8/2ohm switch on it. so i wired from my amp pos to pos, neg to neg, put the switch on 2ohm and turned everything on. it sounds ok, not as good as i was hoping. it also jumps like crazy even with the volume at about 25% of max. it just doesnt sound totally right.
Things to check:

1. x-over frequency on the subwoofer is too low
2. box size / tuning for subwoofer is incorrect
3. Your expectations of a 10" driver of somewhat low sensitivity being able to keep up with the rest of your speakers was a little too high :).

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Thanx GiJoe :blush:

Lurker you could get a seperate amp and then all the power will go to just the sub.

mebbe a couple of amps will bring your system to life.

quote>
his amp is rated for 300x1 @2ohms
quote>

might not be enough to make it sing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might not be enough to make it sing
kinda what i was thinkin. the new kicker is rated at [email protected] and the sub is 350rms so im hopin that solves the problem.

and iv always had 12" subs, this is my first ten. so im not sure if that is part of the problem either. i have a 2008 impreza 5dr hatchback, i have the sub against the back seat pointed towards the back of the hatch, do you think sub placement has anything to do with? possibly aim the sub towards the back of the seat instead the hatch??

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Your positioning will be fine :) , the way you have it.

The lack of SD and power will make it play at a lower volume:( [ quietly, if you will ].

you might try firing the sub at the rear glass in your car [ up at an angle ].

Listen to a song, shove something underneath it and listen again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your positioning will be fine :) , the way you have it.

The lack of SD and power will make it play at a lower volume:( [ quietly, if you will ].

you might try firing the sub at the rear glass in your car [ up at an angle ].

Listen to a song, shove something underneath it and listen again.
that how i got it now, i got the sub pointed towards the rear glass at an upward angle. ill try out the new amp and see how it responds

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I still think your enclosure is wrong. In your first post you said that it "jumps like crazy" even at low volume. My first thing would be to check for leaks in your box, then check the recommended specs for that sub and consider building a new box.

It's hard to tell what the problem is without seeing it, but if the problem was the amp not having enough juice, I don't think you'd have this problem. Sure a new amp may be a good idea. But I would take a look at your box.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I still think your enclosure is wrong. In your first post you said that it "jumps like crazy" even at low volume. My first thing would be to check for leaks in your box, then check the recommended specs for that sub and consider building a new box.

It's hard to tell what the problem is without seeing it, but if the problem was the amp not having enough juice, I don't think you'd have this problem. Sure a new amp may be a good idea. But I would take a look at your box.

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 on the box. Either you're leaking or it's too small. How much volume/space does that driver displace? If the box is .75 cubes then your actual volume is less than that.

Also you didn't mention the efficiency of your last 4ohm sub or what it was. It could be the new sub is less efficient that your last one, so the extra power doesn't really make a diff (i.e. you need the extra power just to get as loud as the previous sub). What you really wanted in a sub is something that can be run 2ohm AND is more efficient. A single 12" that fits in a small box that is efficient would have got you louder (jbl gto for example). When you are working with limited power you have to pay attention to the efficiency of the drivers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well made a lil progress today. i turned it on and than went into the back to check it out while it was playing. it seems that the last sub i had in that box had a larger mounting ring than the current, and air seems to be leaking out of the old holes that i had the old sub mounted to. the old holes are about a quarter inch outwards of the current sub mounting ring so they are totally exposed. im goin to take the sub out and fill the holes in from the back with silicone. does it matter what kind of silicone i use?

oh btw, thanks for all the help so far people :)

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Likely not though RTV seems to be a little tougher. I would try to put screws in the holes from the back and silicone those. Or, make another baffle (the face of box) and mount it to the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts