DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so this isn’t really a build log, but a modest mod to my new/existing system. I’m a newb to car audio (not SQ) and this is my first system (2 mos old) and just added an MS8 that replaced the LC6i. Don’t laugh :)

Using the OEM “floor” as a template, I traced the outline onto ½” MDF and started cutting away. LUCKILY the weather was mild for this time of yr and was kind of in a hurry to get as much done as possible before it gets friggin cold.

Anyway cutting the outline wasn’t a biggie but, trying to transfer all of the “resting” points was a bit much. The OEM piece slopes from one end to the other and is 5” at the back to 3”.

Anyway I was going to start cutting some spacers to raise the floor a bit, but then came across some dense sticky weather stripping (1/2" thick) the floor could rest on and figured I would give is a shot. Seems to work well.

Some test fits.

Add the sides and cut to clear all the little contours that keep it from seating properly

Routed the MS8 display cable and done for now. Can't believe how long it took just to get this done! Fits nice and snug though. Next will be to add the top piece.

Tacked some cable clamps to the floor so the wires stay put.

Here is my plan for the top. One piece would be difficult to get in/out. I think I will get two separate pieces and add a hinge (piano style) so it could be folded when I need access etc…I dunno, just a thought. Not sure if the hinge would be durable enough. I'll start that process shortly and if it seems to work, i'll get it carpeted etc. I'm still using the OEM top piece as it has strategically placed support pieces that rest on the tire, so I can still load items back there for a bit.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Nice addition,yeah how does it sound compared to the LC6i?....I see a problem with your concept on the beauty panel,did you take into consideration the angle of the back seats?...maybe you can make it swing towards the seat but cut out a notch to clear the sub enclosure and disquise it with carpet,just a thought.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Nice! I know one thing about the JBL's they are not fun tuning but that is any active setup really.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, nice and clean. Hows it sound?
Nice addition,yeah how does it sound compared to the LC6i?....I see a problem with your concept on the beauty panel,did you take into consideration the angle of the back seats?...maybe you can make it swing towards the seat but cut out a notch to clear the sub enclosure and disquise it with carpet,just a thought.
It is a nice addition for sure :cool:

Sound wise, it's so vastly different and better, its really something. The LC6 isn't obviously apples to apples - great product for sure but serves a different purpose. I haven't gone much further than initial calibration and default xover's. The fronts comps are still running passive as I would have had to run new wires for the tweeters etc.. The rears are stock. So its "eight" wires going to the MS8 input harness chnl 1-4 and then the sub is 7+8. Amp's filters/xovers are turned off (as they should be).

There's still a lot of tuning to be had, or at least tinker with. So little time though. I'm going to try some different xover points and then start in on the EQ. There's a learning curve here and seems like the "drum frequencies", specifically the toms aren't as present as I'd like them to be. Its remarkable to hear the difference with processor on and off :cool: Very happy.

There was a very detailed post I came across recently about frequencies (recommendations where to cut/boost) that I have to find again, that should be helpful.

I see a problem with your concept on the beauty panel,did you take into consideration the angle of the back seats?...maybe you can make it swing towards the seat but cut out a notch to clear the sub enclosure and disquise it with carpet,just a thought.
Good point, I didn't think of the back seats, thanks. I'll have to consider both approaches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts