DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats everyone.

I currently have a 2 rockville 10" subs (1000 rms @ 2 ohm for the pair) and 4 alpine speakers (2 component/2 coaxial 80 rms each @ 4 ohms) powered by 2 rockville amps (db45 for the speakers, db16 for the subs) installed in a 2008 accord coupe. I initially built a 2 level amp rack and placed it right up against the rear seat in the trunk and placed the subs to face the rear seats in the trunk aswell. This left me with a secure placement for the amps, but I did not feel as though the subs we efficiently delivering sound.

Plan to get started on rebuilding the amp rack into 2 separate vertical plates and placing the subs where the 2 level amp rack was, this way I can lower the rear seats and let the sound pass into the cabin easier. I also want to do a wire tuck and clean up the wire management from the first job. Will upload pics for the project.

One thing I am curious on is if should just reuse the the 1/4 inch 12" x 25" boards in the current rack or i should pick up some abs board/expanded pvc. The amos easily weigh about 4 lbs each, the Db45 being slightly heavier and bigger (21"L x 9"W)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd go with expanded PVC. Cutting and mounting to it is s breeze and moisture won't warp it. The wood can and will warp. Also it just looks better imo

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go with expanded PVC. Cutting and mounting to it is s breeze and moisture won't warp it. The wood can and will warp. Also it just looks better imo

I'm curious about expanded pvc. I've never worked with it before and I am kind of nervous it won't be sturdy enough. Is it similar to corregated plastic?

·
Registered
200 Posts
No, it's a "solid"piece no air pockets etc. I've got an Audio Control LC.6_1200 and a Pioneer GM-D9701 along with my Dayton DSP and pretty and ground distribution blocks mounted on 3/4" and it's plenty strong. It's also called starboard I believe. I also used a piece to replace my trunk under carpet board as the original got all cut up. You should be plenty fine with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so after doing some planning and drawing up several schematics for ideas on how to mount the new set up, made slight progress.

So here is my set up at the moment.

Parden the dust. There is my Db14 and the top layer, beneath is the Db45, both powering my 10" k6 subs. You can see the wire management i wanted to clean up. i was rather proud of myself for this being my first solo set up without going to a shop, as i know better now i want to polish what i have so far.

So here is how i have it while i drive. I tried to "highlight' areas where i contemplated mounting the amps. The teal is where i considered placing the Db14. Yellow is for the Db45.

i considered placing the amp on a plate, which would either mount onto the rear passenger seats allowing functionality and saving space, and then there is the underside of the rear deck, in between my to coaxial speakers. Only concerns with the underside being heat accumulation and vibration damage, with my plan to put the subwoofer right up against my rear passenger seats.

The next location being adjacent to the Db14/teal line. I would have to fabricate a mounting location and support beam of sorts as this location would not be flush, with lots of wierd angles. I have some universal mounting brackets which i am expecting to come in next week with the rest of my build supplies.

Also, came across a snag in the build. So apparantly rockville is a subpar car audio company. I was not aware of this when i bought the subs, actually saw a review saying they were ideal for budget builds. However, i wanted my system to bellow. Not even a week after i did my big 3 upgrade, and connected the subs to the amp with 8 ga. wire i noticed that they hit alot harder. Started smelling like shit too! Before i knew it, i can barely turn my volume up past 30 (max is 55) and had to greatly reduce my bass remote in order for the system to not trip protect mode. Checked the ohms of the subs, still reads close to 4.0 at the terminal, around 2.0 near the box terminal. my guess is the voice coil started to cook and unravel. Sure enough, i checked a video (which showed me how flawed rockville products are) which had a guy who produced similar results as my subs, even did a cut out to see what happened to the voice coils. Since it is no where near worth it to rebuild, i decided to take a jump and pick up some Sundown subs. Also jumped up from 10" subs to 12", which free up even more space in the trunk. This shoyld be here in the next week or 2 aswell.

More updates and pictures to come

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, update #3.

Having issues uploading pictures (wants me to contact administrator), going to try to on another post reply

Parts are slowly coming in, but im making incremental progress.

{}

Completely dismantled the previous amp rack and took out the subwoofer. Took a good lol at the space available and once again reconsidered how to mount the amps. i was previously thinking of doing a quarter panel or a rear deck mount, but those were way to complicated. Thought why not just go with clean but functional? But before i could finish that thought, i came across what i believe was causing my voltage drop, amplifier going into protect mode. I had drilled a hole for my ground in the spare tire well and the ground was loose enough to swing freely/with minimal effort. Went forth and found a new home for it. Alot more secure, has a lock washer and all.

Ended up deciding on placing one amp on the spare tire trap door and another amp directly on the back of the passenger seat. Came out very clean. I was worried the current power and ground cables would not reach the new amp locations but they were almost a perfect length. I did however once again reconsider the amp locations. Only this time, i brought in the length of the door speaker wires into consideration. They currently are basically stubs sticking out from behind the cabin (measured them to be just long enough to reach old amp spot). I do not want to re run wires, but i do want uniformity and to wrap those wires up in wire loom. Temp fix will just be some butt connectors and extra length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts