DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone at diymobile,
Okay.. First off... I realize I am not the first one with this question however, all of the other poster's price ranges were a good 200 bucks over mine. As I was searching through the forums getting all sorts of ideas and types of speakers jotted down; I figure it would be best to get myself known here anyway and get some actual live feedback on my options here..

I have a 2010 Corolla LE. STOCK it has 6.5s in front and 6x9s in the back. I have some very nice sounding (for the price) Alpine Type-R's (6.5 components) actually and am happy with them but was gonna move them to the back for rear fill. I am looking for suggestions on very clear highs in the tweets and great woofer quality for around 200-250ish. I actually purchased some Alpine Type-X 6.5 components on eBay new, BUT they turned out to be 5.25 components when they finally arrived :mad: So... Maybe a blessing in disguise because now I am considering options I hadn't before...

Here is what I have in mind so far after scouring this forum for hours..
-MASSIVE AUDIO RX 6 6.5" 2-way
-Massive Audio CK6 Stage V (heard the woofers are amazing but tweets are harsh)
-*Focal 165 A1 6.5 components (REALLY would welcome opinions on these vs. the CK6s because I am leaning more toward the Focals at present, but the Massive Ck6s are said to have a stellar woofer.... grrr :D in need of help)
-Alpine Type X SPX-17REF (thought I already owned these lol... but seller shipped wrong size and no word yet on if he has right size but I can always just cancel the order altogether)
-BOSTON ACOUSTICS® SR60

BUT PLEASE!!
-ANY others you feel are good for the price range of 200-250approx that aren't listed let me know if you would be so kind. I am a stickler for sound quality and it seems i'm not the only one = ) happy to see that!

OH! and btw.. for amps using Audiobahn 800w mono class D, and a Pioneer:( 4channel 500? maybe 600w amp for the mids. Will be a 9 speaker system ideally when all is said and done. 6.5 woofer and tweeters up front(4) same in back(4) + 1 12" sub.

Thanks in advance! God it feels like I have finally found my fellow home for my car audio endeavors!!
-Gabriel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw really? Cool man!
Umm tried looking them up but no dice, is there a model number or anything? I keep finding links back to DiyMobileAudio heh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
might have spoke too soon...

Imagine I61-2 Component / Coaxial Speaker Set
can't post links (heh yea account IS actually that young)

^^This^^ What you are talking about? Looks good to me so far..
Kinda odd though.. Not one Hybrid Audio product on eBay :mean:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pioneer 6.5" PRS comps. I'm pretty sure they're like 250 new but you can find them on this site used for less ( i believe).

Anyway, I can't speack for the tweet...but the woofer is really something special.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Listen to different speakers out there, and decide form there. People like different sounds. There is no "best" speaker in a price range, despite what the HAT-huggers will tell you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a rule I normally stay away from ANYTHING Pioneer...
However, their Premier series MIGHT be another story as I haven't had the opportunity to take a listen.

Here is a simple question I would like a simple answer to = )

HAT Imagine's are rated at:
100 watts (musical input)
Peak Power Handling
230 watts (musical input)
Recommended Power

Whereas

The Pioneers mentioned above are only rated
50W RMS per speaker...

What is that about? Does that determine quality at all?

·
Registered
123 Posts
^^If it was realistic for most guys to go out and buy then listen too a bunch of speakers then they wouldn't come onto a forum and ask for other peoples opinions.

No such thing as 'the best' (we've all figured that out) but HATs are pretty damn good...therefore 'hathuggers'.

·
Registered
448 Posts
jbl c608gti. you wont get better midbass anywhere. but they are a little bright and vocals a little cool.. but i love them. i listen to alot of live music and they are t1t$

wouldnt mind hearing the Massive Audio CK6 Stage V. good price on sonic

·
Registered
123 Posts
As a rule I normally stay away from ANYTHING Pioneer...
However, their Premier series MIGHT be another story as I haven't had the opportunity to take a listen.

Here is a simple question I would like a simple answer to = )

HAT Imagine's are rated at:
100 watts (musical input)
Peak Power Handling
230 watts (musical input)
Recommended Power

Whereas

The Pioneers mentioned above are only rated
50W RMS per speaker...

What is that about? Does that determine quality at all?
My 2 cents...it would be a mistake to rule out pio products. They make some really nice stuff. p99rs h/u for instance.

Anyway...no. Don't worry about the wattaga.

I ran a HAT L4 and L1Pro with a prs midbass...and they worked very well together.

Another thing. To be truthfull, I ran the prs active. All speakers sound better that way over using factory xovers.

so, i can't comment on the quality of the xover.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Think I might be going with the

Hybrid Audio Technologies - Imagine 6.5components

They seem to be the clear winners so far taking recommendations/reviews/price in to account.

They appear to be highly coveted among owners and the pioneers that were mentioned aren't made anymore.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The JBLs are better speakers. The HATs just have a legion of highly devoted followers who like the harmonic distortions in them. They think they're hearing "new details". Well, to be fair, they are, because the speakers are making them up with harmonic distortions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Think I might be going with the

Hybrid Audio Technologies - Imagine 6.5components

They seem to be the clear winners so far taking recommendations/reviews/price in to account.

They appear to be highly coveted among owners and the pioneers that were mentioned aren't made anymore.
You can't go wrong with the HAT's.

FWIW, they do make the PRS' still...but they changed the part number...don't kow it off hand

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am looking at component sets in similar price range as well. So far I have been thinking of getting one of these..

Hybrid Audio Imagine (great reviews..)
Massive Audio CK6V
MB Quart QS216 (MB Quart's best with bi-amp capable crossover, bu I can hardly find any reviews)
JL Audio C3/C5. Reportedly, HATs and JLs sound comparable in show rooms, but in-car sound may be very different.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Just got these in but i too just dumped a set of type rs and i can tell that whaen you hear these DLS Reference RM6.2 (RM 6.2) 6-1/2" 2-way Component System you will be amazed at how much more mid bass you get. These things get so low i'm thinking about ordering another pair just for mids alone And the tweets are so smooth you'll think that alpine needs to blown up for designing tweets that sound sound the way they do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts