DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kenwood Excelon head unit, Orion 1200d powering a Soundstream T5-12" sub in the trunk of a BMW 540. The rest of the speakers are stock powered by the stock amp. I'm on a tight budget of $400 to upgrade the front 5.25's and an amp to power them. I'll probably just leave the rear's stock. The front speakers I'm looking at are either Infinity Kappa's 50.9's, Boston Acoustics SX50's or Diamond Audio HEX S500S.

Since I'm trying to save money I was thinking about getting a used US Acoustics USB 4085 to power them. Would this be good enough to power the speakers that I'm looking at? Should I wait and save more money to get a nicer amp? What amp's would you recommend? I don't think I want to spend more than $300 on an amplifier.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
You won't be disappointed with that US Acoustics amp. I'd lean towards the Boston's myself if those are the only three choices you are looking at.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would actually lean toward the Diamond Hex's and look into sundown 2 channel amps they can be found used for under $300
Do you think there would be an audible difference if I went with the Sundown amp? What difference would it make in the quality of the sound?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Do you think there would be an audible difference if I went with the Sundown amp? What difference would it make in the quality of the sound?
from wht ive heard bostons are good i have not heard either of them personaly so i cant say much.....the sundown amp does not ring a bell with me and as such its better to go used than cheap....i agree with chit go with the US off ebay yes u may buy used and mabye it may be more expensive (i doubt it) but they are a proven brand

i cant speak for sundown i do not no if there a cheap brand like pyle/pyramid..or a good one...id still lean toward the US amp

your just running your fronts so imo it proly wouldnt make much a diffrence...but cleaner sound is still cleaner sound even if it is a tiche

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can pick up an Alpine PDX amp of the appropriate size and number of channels and a pair of Alpine 5 1/4 components for about $500 if you search the internet. I am running that setup right now in my 2001 M5, and although I am going to replace them with much higher end components, they sound remarkably good for the price, and fit the e39 doors perfectly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can pick up an Alpine PDX amp of the appropriate size and number of channels and a pair of Alpine 5 1/4 components for about $500 if you search the internet. I am running that setup right now in my 2001 M5, and although I am going to replace them with much higher end components, they sound remarkably good for the price, and fit the e39 doors perfectly.
Which speakers do you have? Are you going to sell your amp?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Which speakers do you have? Are you going to sell your amp?
I have the SPX13refs and I will be selling those. I'm going to keep the amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts