DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is mic a must when tuning with a dsp or does it just make it easier?
Is there a wizard app or a REW app one could use or do you tune to your personal preferences.
Just bought a Dayton 408 and very excited to start tuning my set up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mic is a must for proper tuning. What you set your equipment to play doesn’t mean that’s how it will sound to your ears. Each vehicle has different acoustics. Mic is a must. Check out an RTA.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
You can get pretty far without a mic, but you will want a mic if you truly want to optimize the system.

Generally, you'll use pink noise, but test tones can come in handy too. You'll need music for tuning, but not really while using a mic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have alot to learn.
I'm researching and reading as much as I can.
So the mic plugs into my phone and use a rew app?
Do I tune each speaker first with the dsp then use mic?
Sorry for my ignorance

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I have alot to learn.
I'm researching and reading as much as I can.
So the mic plugs into my phone and use a rew app?
Do I tune each speaker first with the dsp then use mic?
Sorry for my ignorance
The mic will plug into a laptop with REW (Room EQ Wizard) installed. There isn’t a phone app out there that will give you the resolution you need if you really want to optimize the system. However, even without a mic, you can use test tones, and pink noise with an SPL meter on your phone. This is a bit crude, but can work pretty well if you take your time. It will never be as good as REW and a calibrated mic, but it can still be helpful.

You will set some basic stuff like your crossovers, time alignment, and level match as well as you can. After that you’ll run A LOT of different measurements to get a clear idea of the response. You’ll measure left independently from the right, you’ll measure tweeters independently from the mids, and you’ll need to take several measurements each time and average them. The results you get with the mic will then show you if you need to adjust your levels, or crossovers, and will show you where you need to apply EQ. Tuning can be a real pain in the ass, if you don’t do it often. My strategy has always been to take my time, and just focus on one particular area each session. I may address issues with my tweeters, then put the mic away until the next weekend. After I’ve addressed most of the issues then I’ll pull the mic out again to work on the overall response curve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with the mic plugged into the laptop do I play music and let the wizzard do all the work.
By the way I'm staying passive for now until I purchas another small amp for the rears and find time to redo the install.
I'd like to dabble a bit on it before going full active.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts