DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Just joined and looking forward to feedback. I have a 2011 Dodge Ram Crewcab and my current sound set up is:
1/ Kenwood am/fm/cd player.....25w per channel
2/ Morel Tempo Ultra components in front doors/A-pillar powered by Hertz HCP 4 amp
3/ Kicker CSC6934 speakers in rear door also powered by Hertz HCP 4 amp
4/ 2x JL Audio wtv0 3-4 subs powered by JBL GTX500 mono amp.
So.......I am generally happy w sound and prefer sound quality vs loudness! I do not crank my music.....looking for suggestions re what pieces to upgrade. Am considering either upgrading Kickers w Karma or Audiofrog or Focal or ?.......possibly 6x9's or components. Anyone have any experience w Karma? OR do I buy another amp to drive the Morels and just use the Hertz amp to drive the Kickers? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
448 Posts
A Digital Signal Process, DSP is the key to clean, crisp music. Let me start you off here:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Digital Signal Process, DSP is the key to clean, crisp music. Let me start you off here:

Ok....what is the difference between a DSP vs equalizer? All my truck stuff has been professionally installed. For my yruck set up, what would be 3 DSP options?

·
Registered
448 Posts
An equalizer allows you to boost or cut power at specific frequencies to tune the sound. Generally speaking, there will be one EQ between the heat unit and the amplifiers.

A DSP takes things a step further. Being digital, you can switch between different stored EQ curves. Many DSPs have allow you to apply different EQ settings for each input. Many DSPs then have an EQ on each individual speaker, allowing you to really tweak the sound.

Next up is crossovers, filters and phase adjustments. Being digital, pretty much anything is possible with enough programming and computing power. Pretty much any slope and crossover type you want, high and low pass filters, all-pass filters to fix phase issues, in addition to macro-level phase adjustment of the speaker as a whole.

But the real benefit of a DSP is time alignment. It's pretty much impossible to get equal distant from all speakers in a car, so time alignment allows you to adjust down to the millisecond level the timing of each speaker, making it so all of the sound waves arrive at your ears at exactly the same time. The definition of clean and crisp...

As for suggestions, I'm really not the one to ask... A lot of aftermarket head units have basic DSP functionality built in in now-a-days. A lot of your question comes down to how much you want to spend, whether you want additional functionality in case you decide to add more speakers later (3-way front?) and what you're looking for functionality wise from the remote. The classified section of this site is a good place to get started without spending full price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just wanna let you know rn that in ~90% of cases "professionally installed" means diddly squat. Ive seen plenty of crappy installs roll out of bay doors.
Thanks. I only know that I couldn't install/tune my set up so trust my installer knows way more than I do! I live on Vanc Island so installers are few and far between. More than 90% of the discussion on this forum re tech speak is way above my knowledge or understanding levels. While interesting, a lot of it is garbled goop to me. I maybe have $2500 invested in my entire truck stereo but some people have spent that much on a single amp and they don't appear to be entering any competitions! I thought I was doing pretty well w my set-up but it is chump.change vs some of the stuff I've seen on here!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
price really doesnt make a huge difference, well, at least for individual components, really only those last couple percents. it does however cost a lot to get deadening, dsp, good source unit, materials for custom enclosures, etc. cool thing about this forum is some people here can give you suggestions for great equipment at a very affordable price point. deaden and reinforce your doors, get a dsp, have an installer that you know REALLY knows their stuff and cares help with the tuning until you can get a good grasp on it. also personal taste nix those subs lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts