DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Over in the uk, and whilst on Lockdown have been sourcing some components.
My Audi S3 bose system is not what I expected lacking in many area. So looking to completely take out and add a whole system with some audio bits I have stored away.
As family life took me away from car audio.
Found so much information on this site it's been a blessing

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Couple of questions:
My new set will be
  • Alpine ine w928r
  • Alpine PDX 1.600
  • Alpine PDX 4.150
  • Hertz Mille MPK 165 - 2way
  • Alpine SWR 12d2
  • Audison bit ten d - ( may sell and upgrade to Helix DSP) so many bad Audison reviews
I really want to go 3way with the addition of millie MP70.3, and build some a pillars, would this be difficult or should I stick to 2way? As I am a novice to unsure of tuning etc.
Alpine will be in a custom box using partially the old Bose sub area and a few inches of boot area side wall. Not keen on fibreglass, so opting for a plywood box made up of small pieces glued together to use up the space then body fill the gaps on the outside and milkshake the inside to seal it. same procedure for the a pillar.
any tips of advise on this as itching to make a start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As I am a novice to unsure of tuning etc.
Alpine will be in a custom box using partially the old Bose sub area and a few inches of boot area side wall. Not keen on fibreglass, so opting for a plywood box made up of small pieces glued together to use up the space then body fill the gaps on the outside and milkshake the inside to seal it. same procedure for the a pillar.
any tips of advise on this as itching to make a start.
[/QUOTE]

I've built a lot of boxes over the years and it's really important to get it right (or as optimal for your unique circumstances) and probably a lot harder than you might first think.

First will you go for a ported or sealed box? Then if ported what tuning freq are you going to build to? Then come the design specifics like volume, Port diameter and length, bracing ect.

My advice is to look for an online program to assist you with your box design. Use 2 or3 to make sure that you're in the right ballpark in terms of volume and Port length ect.

One well designed and built box is better as 2 shit one's!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi Luke,

Thanks for the info, Was looking to use the once removed old Bose sub space. So more of a custom shaped sub enclosure, and that is why I was going to cut up smaller pieces of plywood to the shape of the old Bose sub area.
Then glue & milkshake the internal of the enclosure and body filler to the outside.
Kinda like these photo's, mine will have to be more deeper so extend into the boot slightly.

Found a way to go 3way also Hertz do a mid/high crossover, so the mid bass can be active off the bit ten, and the over two channels on the bit ten can go to the Hertz crossover. Think its called semi active.Looking for a set of Audi S3/A3 8PA a pillars to start my build (Ebay) then away I go.
Anyone in the uk who can build metal/hpde speaker rings as trying to steer clear of mdf as bit bulky for a pillar build (IMO)
thumbnail.jpeg thumbnail.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you've got it sorted! You're in the UK yeah? I'm trying to get the software for a Cadence DSP 4.8 I bought second hand but it's just not available online. Do you think you could call them for me and ask? I tried last night without success...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Luke, the software is available if you log into their site I believe. Typed in Cadence DSP 4.8 software, which will lead you to their site and once you set up an account I think you can download. Don,t quote me on it, but this is where it lead me.
So hopefully I can get to start removing my Bose sub, and order some plywood to commence the build.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts