DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comp recommendation - JBL 608GTi, MA RK6, Tempo 6, Imagine???

Got the car audio bug again now that my weekend driver is now gone. I have some old equipment that I plan on installing in my ski car, a 99 GMC Jimmy. I currently have an Eclipse CD5030 HU, an old Orion XTR 800.4 amp (100x4 @ 4ohms, 200x4 @ 2ohms, 400x2 4ohm bridged, 3ch capable), and a really old JBL GTx 12” in a vented enclosure tuned to 32hz, IIRC. So I am in need of a front stage, and I’d really like to keep it below 3” of mounting depth to keep my stock appearance. I listen to everything, but most of my listening is to hip-hop, dance and rock, and would prefer a not-so-harsh tweeter. I also don’t plan on running an active set-up at any point in the future. After doing some research, I came up with the following options:

1- HAT Imagine I6-2 (seems to be the proverbial recommendation lately)
2- JBL C608GTi
3- Morel Tempo 6
4- Massive Audio RK6 (may be too deep for my install)

I’m leaning towards the JBL GTi, but it would require me to purchase a second amp to run my sub (would use Orion to run them; I’ve read 400w doesn’t seem unreasonable to run these). Not out of the question as I think I could get a decent sub amp for under $250. I would also plan on upgrading the sub at some point down the line, so I would want a decent amp. My GTx12 can handle up to 450w and is a 4ohm sub. The possible negative - I am not sure how difficult the install would be on these to keep the stock appearance as I’ve never worked on this vehicle before, nor have I took the door off to look. Nonetheless, I think the strong midbass would definitely be great for my suv and my listening preference, especially since I would take the sub box out on occasion to fit additional ski gear in the back.

Same goes for the Massive Audio RK6 in terms of needing an addl amp, and install could be challenging to keep my door looking stock since I may need a spacer which could cause me to remove the door grill.

The HAT’s seem to be the go-to recommendation here for a moderate budget. The idea of not having to get another amp and just run a 3ch setup with my current Orion is definitely a plus. The downside, once I decide to upgrade my sub, my sub choice will be limited since my amp won’t put out that much power in a 3ch setup.

And the same goes for the Morel Tempo 6.

Thoughts/advice? Thanks!

Edit: Also another option is selling my Orion and picking up a new amp(s). DAT is having a nice sale on MA stuff right now that I could capitalize on.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If you need extra depth in the door, add a plastic spacer between the window channel and the door. I spaced mine back almost 1/2 inch and have no issues with window movement. For tweeters if you have the factory tweeter pods in the dash, turn them around and use them they work great. The factory aimed the tweeters outboard at the windshield. If you flip the metal tweeter brackets it aims the tweeters right at the dome light, sounds very nice. Check my build log if you want to see what I am talking about, I have a 2000 S-10 Blazer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, awesome build and great attention to detail. Wanna come to Colorado lol???? I'm definitely not going that complex for my build since mine has over 200k miles on it, nor do I have the woodworking skills you have; boxes is about as far as I go. I'm probably just going to deaden and seal the doors...maybe the rear hatch area. Great tip on the nylon washer idea for the window. And I also picked up that I need to change my hinge pins to get my passenger door to stop the damn squeaking!

Which kit did you end up using for your head unit? Metra?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thinking about jumping all in and picking up a pair of MA amps, the JBL GTi's and a new sub:

1- Massive Audio NX4 to power the JBL 608 GTi's (I believe that would run 400w to each channel at 4ohms bridged, at least that's what they rate)
2- Massive Audio N3 to run either a JBL 12" WGTi (dual 6ohm speaker, so it would create a resistance of 3ohms, right? if so, the amp is rated at 700w @ 2ohms; would this be enough power or should i step up to the N4?) or ID MAX 12 (1400w @ 1ohm).

I'm probably going to mount the amps either under the front seats, or attached to the back of the back seat, so they should have enough ventilation.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thinking about jumping all in and picking up a pair of MA amps, the JBL GTi's and a new sub:

1- Massive Audio NX4 to power the JBL 608 GTi's (I believe that would run 400w to each channel at 4ohms bridged, at least that's what they rate)
2- Massive Audio N3 to run either a JBL 12" WGTi (dual 6ohm speaker, so it would create a resistance of 3ohms, right? if so, the amp is rated at 700w @ 2ohms; would this be enough power or should i step up to the N4?) or ID MAX 12 (1400w @ 1ohm).

I'm probably going to mount the amps either under the front seats, or attached to the back of the back seat, so they should have enough ventilation.

Thoughts?
NX4 is a little overrated. NX4 benched at 65 watts @4ohms, 107watts @2ohms, with 14.4V battery. So in bridged mode, your comps will less somewhat under 200watts RMS on each side. A little light for subwoofer duty, but this is not a bad wattage to send to front comps. My preference for a compact and powerful 4-channel amp would be a class D amplifier such as Alpine PDX or Kenwood eXcelon XR-4S.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. After doing some more research, I'm thinking I will use and bridge my Orion XTR800.4 for front stage and buy a new sub amp and sub. I really like the small footprint of the PDX amps, but they're a bit more than I want to spend right now. I'd like to find an amp that can put out 700w+ at 3ohms. Footprint doesn't necessarily matter all that much since my Orion is pretty big. Onlinecarstereo has a refurb Excelon X1200M for $175. Seems like it would fit the bill pretty well.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Thanks for the info. After doing some more research, I'm thinking I will use and bridge my Orion XTR800.4 for front stage and buy a new sub amp and sub. I really like the small footprint of the PDX amps, but they're a bit more than I want to spend right now. I'd like to find an amp that can put out 700w+ at 3ohms. Footprint doesn't necessarily matter all that much since my Orion is pretty big. Onlinecarstereo has a refurb Excelon X1200M for $175. Seems like it would fit the bill pretty well.

I think any amplifier that's rated for 500watts RMS with 4ohm impedance is probably fine for the figure you're aiming at. I would have picked a Boston Acoustics GTA-1000m if it can be bought for $250 or less, or PPI Phantom P1000.1 mono block otherwise.

The JBL subwoofer seems to have pretty good sensitivity. I suspect it will sound fine with only 300-400watts of power.

·
Registered
855 Posts
My Blazer has 160,000 miles, it's just how you take care of it. I got my mounting kit from a company called humount. It a small Canadian company that makes all their mounts to order out of aluminum. By far the nicest and simplest mounting kit I have ever used and great customer service. Check out his site, Humount, Quality Mounting Brackets, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I'm familiar with those. I was going to pick one up when I had my Firehawk, but opted to go the cheap route. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts