DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a budget build for a 2 way system with one sub so 4 in and 5 out?. Daytons are out of stock and I hear some problems with them as well as the DSR1 and minidsp. There is not much around here for used. Any recommendations under $300? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Around $300, there really isn't anything better than the MiniDSP, imo...

Reactions: Matti777

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'm doing a budget build for a 2 way system with one sub so 4 in and 5 out?. Daytons are out of stock and I hear some problems with them as well as the DSR1 and minidsp. There is not much around here for used. Any recommendations under $300? Thanks!
MiniDSP's don't really have problems.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Where is "here"? A Helix DSP (pre DSP.2) can be had for $300 and under since there's been two more versions. Nothing you can name within the same price range will match its capability and support

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Never heard of issues on the MiniDSP, mine has been problem free since day 1 (to be fair, it’s only been about 6 months since I installed it).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Never heard of issues on the MiniDSP, mine has been problem free since day 1 (to be fair, it’s only been about 6 months since I installed it).
The only real issues I've heard of were low temperature related, and I think those got resolved. The other issues I've heard about are PC/laptop issues or user issues, not MiniDSP issues.

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I don't think Helix is distributed up here in Canada at least not widely so certainly nothing used around. I have read of some noise issues with the miniDSP including this forum but you know how that goes. That is why I was thinking of stepping up a notch although it seems like a big step cost wise. There is nothing in the stores around here for under $700. There is an almost new Mosconi 6to8 DSP for sale locally that could be had for around $450 Cdn but I know nothing about that brand. I'll have to reconsider the miniDSP or be prepared to splurge a little.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Thanks for the input. I don't think Helix is distributed up here in Canada at least not widely so certainly nothing used around. I have read of some noise issues with the miniDSP including this forum but you know how that goes. That is why I was thinking of stepping up a notch although it seems like a big step cost wise. There is nothing in the stores around here for under $700. There is an almost new Mosconi 6to8 DSP for sale locally that could be had for around $450 Cdn but I know nothing about that brand. I'll have to reconsider the miniDSP or be prepared to splurge a little.
Oh, the infamous C-DSP 8x12 v1 noise, v2 was the fix for that. I have heard the 6x8 has a higher noise floor than the 8x12, but I haven't heard any complaints about that around here, higher noise than almost nonexistent noise is still probably pretty low.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mosconi as a brand is great, but I've heard the Mosconi DSP software sucks.

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'll probably go for the miniDSP C-DSP 6x8 if I can get over being po'd with PartsExpress. Their price is good and I need a bunch of small items .

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
There was another "budget" DSP brand mentioned here on the forum lately... Can't remember the name of it though - might be a good option here. I'll find the name and post back when I find it.

EDIT: Found it - it was the "Audio Dynamics" DSP. You can get them for $199, but that is only a 4x6 (4-in, 6-out), which may not be enough...
ADDSP46

Their next step up (6x8) is $599, so much more expensive:
ADDSP68

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I just ran across another one local here on sale for around $240. Its called an iConnects iDSP6. I was prepared to experiment with a $70 Dayton 408 (on sale but sold out) but otherwise I would like to stick with something people have had success with. That way when things go wrong it I know it will just be something I did :)

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its actually $30 more at PE so it will come down to shipping costs. PE has free shipping in US which evens things out but zero discount if you are from Canada. You get used to it.

·
Listener of Music
3,427 Posts
Get the 6x8

I've ran a c-dsp 6x8 since the week it came out with zero issues.

I have a Dayton as well. It's ok. I've installed a few for others that don't care about the noise floor. I would not buy one for my daily driver. My kids car, my winter beater, my garage system, sure.

I also have had the v1 and v2 of the 8x12. Both great. I didn't have the big noise issue but Minidsp replaced it anyway because they are awesome.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Its actually $30 more at PE so it will come down to shipping costs. PE has free shipping in US which evens things out but zero discount if you are from Canada. You get used to it.
So, would ordering direct from MiniDSP cost roughly the same? Sorry you Canadians get screwed on so many car audio products, but you're welcome to move to the U.S., we find Canadians very pleasant, polite, and generally good natured. :)

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
I have a MiniDSP I got it from @GreatLaBroski around feb 2019.
So I should unload it, and it is in SoCal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just my .02, a step up from a 408 or 2x4/6x8 would involve something with digital (toslink) input and a high quality transport feeding it. Reducing the D->A and A->D steps will always improve sound quality.

EDIT: agree with Slaking that the 408 noise floor isnt great. But I also think you'd have to be well into $1k+ of electronics to be at the level of comparing the sound quality of different DSPs.

·
Registered
2020 Mustang GT
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd like to get something on order this weekend but I have another granddaughter as of 6 am so I am distracted. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts