DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Just making a return to car audio, after about twenty years. Sort of going back to two of my old loves - car audio and Nissan Hardbody trucks. Can't do the blowthrough box I had in my high school days, but would love to put a small system in there. Here's my desires...

I currently drive a single cab Nissan hardbody as my daily driver. I have a small set up in there as well. Two Alpine amps running a set of active two-way Focal components up front (most likely there lowest line, assuming that based on pricing). A set of 6.5" Massive Audio subs behind the seat, and a Pioneer HU. Sounds decent, or good actually for that small of a space. In my new extended cab, I'd desire to build a really decent SQ set up, but do admittingly like the bass to be there when I want it. (I listen to everything from country, contemporary Christian, or a might jump into an old school rap mood). So this desired system would run an active set up in the front, and a single sub in the extended cab. Ideally an external sub dial would be good. If I could, I think it would be neat to run all one brand (my local guy deals with JL and Focal pretty heavy). I've never dealt with a three way component, just two way set ups. Would consider either or, and willing to run a higher line of any brands components. I'd like to run a single 10" or 12" sub in the rear, with the smallest box possible. Ideally, being that sometimes my children would ride, I'd even like to be able to move the sub out of the rear when occasionally needed, if the build couldn't tuck the sub away to one side. A single amp would be desirable, but two would be manageable. Also looking for a clean discrete install, where things looked mostly factory.

So I'm leaning towards an all JL set-up. Wouldn't mind Focal, but not sure what their sub would offer in terms of SPL (when wanted). And for what its worth, I'm an old Linear Power fan. Would run their stuff if I could run across a couple of their old amps. Their new stuff is a bit out of my budget, which I'd say is around 2,000 max for what I'm wanting for this.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
91 Posts
Id stick with a 2way setup and a sub. if your going to go 3 way then add a DSP for tuning. For a sub id think a 10 should be good for what you want. Im in a Tacoma AC and im running a a Single 8dvc and the box was modelled to be the size of a 4L milk jug crate from a grocery store. It fit behind either seat and could be yanked out when needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slow Cruiser, thanks for the input. Kind of the way I was leaning. Feel free to give input on recommended brands. My experience comes from the days Linear Power was big, and pushed all my Cerwin Vega speakers! Yes I'm a bit old. Again, my current daily driver has a mix of Alpine amps, Focal components, and Massive Audio subs. So I'm somewhat out of the loop on what manufactures are leading the industry. I only mentioned JL Audio because of their long time standing in the industry. Plus they seem to have a good line of both components and subwoofers, and seems like I could splurge a bit on a single 10" JL sub, and still get some decent output out of it. Also feel free to chime in on one versus two amps. Again, I will keep the amps out of sight, and ideally the sub removable if need be. The only way this would change would be if I ran across two Linear Power amps, as I'd probably display the amp rack. Heck, maybe even luck across an old Vega series sub! Take it back old school...

So one or two amps? One for sub and one for components, or one multi-channel running all?
Feel free to recommend brands...
Best 10"sub for SPL that would dial in decent for SQ (maybe a remote bass knob) but enclosure has to be relatively small

·
Registered
830 Posts
My competition "career" started with a '95 regular cab 2wd hardbody. I made an adapter to put a set of Boston Rally 5-1/4's in the doors, a pair of Boston 8's behind the seat, two SS Reference 300's (one on each side) and a Ref 500 on the subs. I used a PG EQ215 in the glove box. What a great setup to my simple mind! I think with the current crop of processors, you can use whatever you want and make it sound great as long as the install is solid.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
91 Posts
Im currently running 20+ old Audison SRx amps. A 4 chan up front and a mono for the sub. Its not loud outside but I can drive down the highway windows down and hear the stereo just fine. Ive done one layer of deadener on roof, all doors and back wall. Will probably do another layer next year when I do some upgrading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to the few of you that have replied. So I'm very close to narrowing down my set-up, but have a few lingering questions that have come up through our discussion.

I will run Focal Flax series components up front - mid in door and tweeter in custom A pillar pods. I will run a single JL sub in the rear extended cab area, and again hope to find one that I'm pleased with but still have a smaller box. Sound deadening, head unit, etc as normal. So for my few lingering questions....

1. Since I'll be running both Focal and JL Audio speakers, I'd like to power all with a multi-channel amp from one of these two manufacturers. Anyone suggest either brand of amps over the other?

2. Any preferred JL sub that would fit in a fairly decently small box, that I can remove if need be? Still want to get some decent SPL out of it when I intend to. And JL has so many sub options that it gets a bit overwhelming.

3. Would you see any benefit to using the rear wall speaker areas? Being mindful this is a small truck with an extended cab, I think the speaker size is roughly 6", and the rear wall is shallow so it would have to be a thin speaker.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So help me narrow down my subwoofer please. I've settled on all Focal components up front, Focal amplifier(s) and would like a JL sub in the extended cab. With JL offering so many options, and I'm not very familiar with their products, what single 10" sub would you run? Haven't purchased the amp for this yet, so I can match whatever power I need. Also, while I do want to keep it a fairly small enclosure, I'll be placing this in the extended cab, so a shallow mount isn't necessarily a requirement. I'd like to have good SQ for the most part, but wouldn't mind dialing up the SPL when desired. Also willing to save up for this sub/enclosure, so don't mind spending a little more to be happy with it. I have read good reviews of their HO enclosure with a W6....

·
Registered
06 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
91 Posts
For a sub youll have to figure out what you want. Are you buying locally or going to order online? Ive bin getting pretty much all my gear from a local shop, bin very lucky to know the owner for about 25yrs now. So I can basically get anything I want to buy. For myself ive bin playing with DC M3 8" sub, going to try a 2nd one in the new year and do some comps with both of them. As of right now a single 8 has bin sounding pretty good to my ears for SQ and it can rumble the inside cab for SPL, I dont need to let everyone know for 2blocks that i have subs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts