DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have finally started with my budget build in my 1990 Std cab Nissan Hardbody.

here's my equipment list:

HU: JVC KD-548
Comps: Cadence CWM6Kit
Amp: Un-decided (Im thinking PPI p900.4)
Sub: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 (4 ohm)

First on the list is my sub enclosure. Since it is a standard cab, space is very limited. Thankfully I have been able to come up with a design that will give me .63 cuft for the Pioneer Slim that im going to drop in there.

To start off, here's a pic of the space i have to work with.

And now with the rough shape completed.

And the Test fit. The front is only held on by a couple screws so that i could drop it in the truck to see if every thing fit the say my cardboard mock up did...

Still have alot to do, but it fits! Now I can move forward with getting the remaining pieces cut and fit.

Im still basically a NUBE so, Feel free to make suggestions or point out mistakes if I Make them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hello all,
I have finally started with my budget build in my 1990 Std cab Nissan Hardbody.

here's my equipment list:

HU: JVC KD-548
Comps: Cadence CWM6Kit
Amp: Un-decided (Im thinking PPI p900.4)
Sub: Pioneer TS-SW2501S4 (4 ohm)

hi looks good so far !:) just if you didnt already have some audio i would have said go with all clarion products or alpine ! they have shallow subs and there amps, mids, and HU's are great ! ya have a 91' ext. cab so building systems in it is easy ! i installed leather buckets seats out of a nissan pathfinder ! and did a seal through by removing my back window and installed a seal to the fiberglass topper ! so my bed acts as enclosure space too ! something you could consider as well with space being limited !? then you could run as much audio as you can afford !? or big subs as yo want im running 4x atomic 18"s in the bed and 2x atomic 10"s in the cab as mid bass ! :eek: im also running a 2 pump hydro set up as well ! but i love the hardbodys and love to see them getting hooked up ! hope to see more pics of your progress and hope goes good for ya !?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made some more progress....

I got out my new router to make the top piece, and figured out the length needed for the longer passenger side.

Ill be doing some more work this eventing (after the kidos go to bed) so i should have some more progress to report soon. Since the test fit went well, Glued and screwed all the pieces that hadn't already.

Also picked up some carpet, Vinyl, and even better yet..... I ordered some carbon fiber pannels. should be here in about a week. Once i get the front finished, Ill be running the router around the face edges to give it a finished look (even thought its being covered) i think it will look a bit better this way.

Oh, and Sound Deadening material is on order too. Going to cover the whole interior of the cab...

anyway, heres a pic of where I stopped at on FRI night.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Looking really nice. Having owned a few standard cab minitrucks, I am always curious to see other peoples installs.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This brings back some memories! My first competition install was in a 95 single cab. Two Boston Rally 8's, Dyn's in prefab kicks, PG EQ 215 and 2 SS Ref 200's and 2 Ref 300's.

Keep working on it, and don't get discouraged by the lack of room! It's a great start.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Im pretty motivated. Im redoing the whole interior this winter, and this is a vital piece of that project. I have to admit, having subs avail that only require 3" mounting depth has made this alot easier than i would have been a few years ago.

Ive been doing some work tonight, made the panel that will cover my amp now I need to start on the rings that will go over the amp opening and my sub (they will have grill cloth covering them) i just need to figure out how i want to do it... Ive got a good idea of what I want it to look like, but im not sure the best way to attach the grill cloth since i want it to be removable???

Any suggestions???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the photos of what I got done tonight.... Got the hole cut in the amp cover! I love my router, the possibilities are endlesss with that thing.

I also took the routher around the rest of the edges on the box.

Its starting to look like the picture ive had in my head since I started. lol, I hope that's a good thing??? we'll see...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not totally audio... but still part of my interior/audio build. I got my headliner finished last night.

Came out pretty good!

And this showed up in the mail....

The one on the left is a pre-finished gloss pannel (i got 2) and i plan to use it for trim panels. the one on the right is a matte finish material that is made to look like carbon fiber... its not really carbon fiber, but it looks damn close. obviously this is just a sample I might use the Faux stuff to cover some parts.

Real thing:

Faux:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This build brings back memories for myself too! Looks good!

My very first system back in 00 was two 10" Kicker Comps powered by a RF punch amp in an 84 Toyota Single Cab...Good times!

Keep up the good work! I love using routers, endless possibilities!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, it looks like my progress is on hold for the time being. My sound deadening material is temporarily on backorder :(.

without that, all i can do is strip and clean the interior. after that, ill only have a few little things to do. I suppose i could route some wires, but event with that i wont be able to do too much.....

man this sucks! :mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since i had some Suede left, i figured id do my pillar trim too.

BTW... This is the adhesive ive been using. Seeems to be working out well. its a two surface adheesive (you have to spray it on both surffaces and let it tack up).

Heres how that turned out.

Top left is the before... bottom left is the after using some of the vinyl i picked up a while back. since these are extra parts i figure i would give it a shot.

Vinyl up close...

and a little closer shot of the pillars, i really like the way this suede looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks good, standard cab installs are such a PITA! Just a heads up, I used that glue and black suede in my old black Frontier. The glue melted after 6 months, and all the suede that saw sunlight turned purple. Window tint and shade are going to be your friends.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good, standard cab installs are such a PITA! Just a heads up, I used that glue and black suede in my old black Frontier. The glue melted after 6 months, and all the suede that saw sunlight turned purple. Window tint and shade are going to be your friends.
As it turns out... Super 77 isn't so supper. Or I didn't apply enough in the tight spots... None of the parts have been installed yet, only sat in my office. In the places where the fabric was streached it has started to let go...

I need to re do thjem, any suggestions on a better adheesive to use thar won't bleed through fabric. Ill need it to do some carpet work on my box too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As it turns out... Super 77 isn't so supper. Or I didn't apply enough in the tight spots... None of the parts have been installed yet, only sat in my office. In the places where the fabric was streached it has started to let go...

I need to re do thjem, any suggestions on a better adheesive to use thar won't bleed through fabric. Ill need it to do some carpet work on my box too.
I used Weldwood contact adhesive and a bunch of cheap paint brushes. It's used for laminating countertops and stuff like that. I still had some 3m spray, so I used that on top of it. Brush it on both sides, and pray that you never need to take it off again. I might have some pics on Myspace, it's been forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts