DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking of ditching the active game and going back to normal speaker sets. What's out there nowadays? I haven't bought anything besides raw drivers for about 5 years now, so I'm totally out of the loop.

It seems like running active allowed me to dump a lot of power to my mids/tweets, and I was able to get them pretty loud while still remaining clean as hell. I'm wanting to get a new HU with ipod hookup and don't want to drop the money on a new active deck. I'm just wanting to dumb it down a little, I guess, and want to snag a sweet set of 6.5's that I won't have to really mess with a whole lot. Keeping the mid/tweet in the same location is a plus so I won't have to worry about doing t/a for two speakers on each side. The Dayton "fullrange" 6.5's are appealing, but I haven't really looked too hard.

The main thing I'm worried about is loudness...I do love to crank some music every now and then, and I imagine I'll be a little disappointed if I can't do it like how I can right now. I figured I can run a beefy coaxial and still be able to use my Arc MEQ30 to fine tune my curve and use some sort of simple t/a to get the stage right(maybe an extra 500ft of wire on the left channel? :D).

I know it's a long post, but offer up any opinions...I'm all ears.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If you search the forums, there is a lot of feedback about Hybrid Audio's Imagine speakers. They are convertible between coaxial and component setup, and they are meant to sound great in coaxial installs.

Other higher end speakers that are available as coaxial-only or convertible speakers:

JL Audio C3
Image Dynamics XS
Massive Audio CK6

Except for C3, I think there is a lot of feedback about these speakers on audio forums.

·
Registered
438 Posts
For some reason, CDT doesn't get much love on this forum, BUT the first CDT set I ever heard was the braxial set, and it was pretty amazing for a "coax"; it's actually a convertible set, I believe that's the term. I think the factory retail prices are on the ridiculous side, but I think there are some deals out there if you wanted to try them.

From their site:
http://cdtstore.com/braxials.htm

Example from Woofers etc store:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3081-ef-63-cdt-audio-65-braxial-speaker-set.aspx

There are tons of good sets out there and I'm sure many may give you better choices, but I figured I'd get ya started!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm more afraid that I'm going to miss the imaging that I get by running active, being able to locate everything as if I were watching the band playing on stage. Has anyone gone from active back to passive? If so, how did you do it, how did you like it, and do you have any regrets?

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I'm more afraid that I'm going to miss the imaging that I get by running active, being able to locate everything as if I were watching the band playing on stage. Has anyone gone from active back to passive? If so, how did you do it, how did you like it, and do you have any regrets?
Considering that you want to use coaxial speakers, if they're time aligned with each other, I think imaging should be alright. With coaxial speakers, each speaker acts as a single point of sound source. With components good imaging is more difficult because the speakers can be far away from each other. The only possible issue with coaxial setup is probably with sound stage height. With coaxial speakers, specially in standard locations, I think it will drop a bit.. Another issue is with the top end frequency response. Some tweeters can have bad dispersion off axis.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Considering that you want to use coaxial speakers, if they're time aligned with each other, I think imaging should be alright. With coaxial speakers, each speaker acts as a single point of sound source. With components good imaging is more difficult because the speakers can be far away from each other. The only possible issue with coaxial setup is probably with sound stage height. With coaxial speakers, specially in standard locations, I think it will drop a bit.. Another issue is with the top end frequency response. Some tweeters can have bad dispersion off axis.
Well I'm hoping my MEQ30 can handle that pretty well as far as being able to tame peaks and at least make it seem smooth. The image dropping a little shouldn't be a big issue, my door locations aren't that low anyways. Right now my height is really nice with the tweets in the a-pillars, as far away from me as possible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, I have heard several installs with them, and I really think they sound "THAT GOOD".
I have a set running passive for now and they are VERY impressive. I time aligned using the tweeter distances from my head and the staging is wide and deep. Singers, bass, and drums right where they should be. I have 150w per side and they sound REALLY good!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Boston Pro, Pro-SE or SPZ. I also think Focal makes some nice Coaxes.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
If you search the forums, there is a lot of feedback about Hybrid Audio's Imagine speakers. They are convertible between coaxial and component setup, and they are meant to sound great in coaxial installs.

Other higher end speakers that are available as coaxial-only or convertible speakers:

JL Audio C3
Image Dynamics XS
Massive Audio CK6

Except for C3, I think there is a lot of feedback about these speakers on audio forums.
CDT makes some nice passive systems, as well as DLS, the scandanavians sound fantastic passive but your looking at 800$ in pieces, they dont sell it as a set you have to buy the compoenets.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have a set running passive for now and they are VERY impressive. I time aligned using the tweeter distances from my head and the staging is wide and deep. Singers, bass, and drums right where they should be. I have 150w per side and they sound REALLY good!

I can see why TA can give you an improvement in SQ. Some time alignment, even if its a little off off, is still better than no time alignment. However, if you time align by distances, shouldn't you be using distances from the woofers to your head, since the frequencies where TA is most useful are played by the woofers? Next, it's probably better to set TA by ears instead of using distances.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next, it's probably better to set TA by ears instead of using distances.
I set my t/a by ear, because if t doesn't sound good by doing formulas and such, why keep it that way? And yes, t/a on the mid is much more important. Level matching the tweeters makes a bigger difference than t/a, in my experience.

·
Registered
126 Posts
JBL P662 -- not very well known, but is a very nice coaxial. Can take high power and sounds clear at higher volumes. Not titanium domes, so some of the well-known JBL tweeter harshness is not there. Good T/S parameters for door mounting.

If you shop carefully, you should be able to snag a pair for aroun $80.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts