DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new headunit, wired 4 new door speakers, a new 4 channel amp, and put my two old amps and two old subs back in the car. The headunit powers on, as well as all three amps, and none of them turn on in protection mode. No sound comes out either subs, or door speakers. We moved the ground wire, still nothing. We plugged the RCA's from my headunit into my brothers working 4 channel amp, and sub amp; both his speakers, and sub play sound. We took my sub amp out, and hooked it up to his ground, power, etc., and it played his sub perfectly. We touched a 9V battery to all of the speaker wires, and both subs and all four door speakers pop. We are all completely mind f**ked... please help! :knife: :rifle: :hanged:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RCA's from headunit were tested and worked on working amps/speakers, gain is good, fuses good. We plugged in a home theater system to all door speakers, and they play loud as shit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Older brother (aka the one who's installing all of this) here - aside from the fact that it wouldn't be easy to get a picture of all the wiring going to the amps, I can assure you it is all done correctly. 0ga from batt -> dist block, 4ga power to all 3 amps. 4ga ground from 3 amps -> dist block ->0ga chassis ground. Power run on opposite side of vehicle from the RCAs. All amps turn on, none are in protection mode, all fuses good.

What blows my mind the most is one of the mono amps - the amp works in my car, the sub pops when a 9v is touched to the wires, the RCAs are working...but when you combine the 3 together in this Trailblazer, you get nothing. Tried using RCAs from a headphone splitter plugged into a phone, nothing that way either. Also know that setup is sending RCA signal, that's what I had plugged into the home theater setup to test the door speakers.

This is completely mind-f*cking me and a buddy who was an installer at Mobile One for years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, in case it helps anyone:

Head unit - Pioneer AVH-P3400BH
Front speakers - Alpine "Type R" 6.5" component
Rear speakers - Alpine "Type R" 6.5" coax
Subs - Alpine "Type R" 12" (new model, 1000w RMS)
4 channel - Hifonics ZRX1000.4
Mono - Alpine MRP-M850 (x2)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Again, does your HU have a RCA on/off setting within the menu or setup options? Sorry if you think you are repeating yourself...I can't tell by your answers. This has nothing to do with your RCA cables.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Again, does your HU have a RCA on/off setting within the menu or setup options? Sorry if you think you are repeating yourself...I can't tell by your answers. This has nothing to do with your RCA cables.
I don't believe it does, but either way, the RCAs are sending a signal. We backed the truck up to my GTO, and hooked the RCAs up to the amps in my car and they played through my car. RCAs/head unit aren't the issue.

Grab a meter and start checking the signal path. How are the RCA cables traced?
Signal going into the amps, nothing coming out. Not sure what you mean by how they are traced.

I'm pretty sure the 4 channel is bad, haven't had a chance to put it in another vehicle to test it though. I just don't understand the mono - it works in my GTO, but doesn't work in the Trailblazer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant are the mono amps running off of the 4 channel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No? The remote wire runs first to the 4 chan, then to the 2 mono's, but thats the only connection, other than they are connected to positive and ground distribution blocks

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Get a phono to RCA cable and test the amps in question with your phone.... if the HU is sending signal (confirmed) and the amps arent amplifing, something is obviously wrong with the amp(s)...

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get a phono to RCA cable and test the amps in question with your phone.... if the HU is sending signal (confirmed) and the amps arent amplifing, something is obviously wrong with the amp(s)...

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

We did this to all three, and nothing. We also took one of the mono amps out, and hooked it up to wiring in the GTO, and it works fine, but back in the trailblazer, nothing...none of this makes any sense... :knife:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1slowgto - I wonder if any of your amps are actually bad. I am leaning towards no. The reason being that you have 3 amps that all look to turn on yet no sound from the speakers. What is the chance that all 3 went bad and acted the same way? Very little since one of them is different then the other 2 and one of those 2 has been proven to work.

You have already proven the HU and atleast 1 set of RCA's are not bad.

Something in that install went wrong somewhere. It could be something that looks correct but due to the vehicle itself, is not correct. Perhaps your ground is just good enough for the amps to turn on but not quite good enough for the amps to produce much if any sound. You will still show 12v-14v but current will be limited. Kind of like trying to test a large amp off of a very small power supply. You will have just enough current to power the amp on but not enough for it to make much if any sound. This could explain why all amps have no output in the TB. Basically it has to be related to the TB and the install no offense.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Remote turn on current may not be sufficient being that it is split up,try jumping your b+ to the remote on the amp and see if that does the trick
Remote on is ma's worth of power and the amps have already turned on. This should have zero effect on the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is the voltage of the remote and power wires at each amp?
Key on engine off the amps see ~12.7v and the remote is around 10v, with the truck running the amps see 14.7ish and the remote sees 12v or a little over.

1slowgto - I wonder if any of your amps are actually bad. I am leaning towards no. The reason being that you have 3 amps that all look to turn on yet no sound from the speakers. What is the chance that all 3 went bad and acted the same way? Very little since one of them is different then the other 2 and one of those 2 has been proven to work.

You have already proven the HU and atleast 1 set of RCA's are not bad.

Something in that install went wrong somewhere. It could be something that looks correct but due to the vehicle itself, is not correct. Perhaps your ground is just good enough for the amps to turn on but not quite good enough for the amps to produce much if any sound. You will still show 12v-14v but current will be limited. Kind of like trying to test a large amp off of a very small power supply. You will have just enough current to power the amp on but not enough for it to make much if any sound. This could explain why all amps have no output in the TB. Basically it has to be related to the TB and the install no offense.
No offense taken, we came here for help and any idea is worth trying at this point. I was honestly thinking the same thing about the ground - we moved it once, but the body of the truck may just suck for grounding stuff, especially a couple thousand watts RMS worth of amps. I need to take the 4 channel out and test it in another vehicle, but I have finals this week and don't have much time to courtesy of studying. I may also take the Optima Red top I have sitting in the garage and see if I can put it back there and use it as a ground, to see if that changes anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts