DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've been getting static noise from my right side component speakers. The static noise turns into a whirring sound when i press the accelerator.

Noise is present even when the speaker wires are disconnected from the amp, so I've ruled out the amp and HU.

The noise also changes when i move the passive crossover mounted in the dash, so I'm guessing it's coming from the passive crossover? The only position it doesn't make a noise is when it's hanging freely and far from everything else below the dash, which is not ideal. Is there any way to shield the crossover? Normally people would shield the cables, but I've never heard of shielding a crossover.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there not another convenient place to put it? Splicing and adding additional wire seems a simple enough solution

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
That's an option, but the crossover is quite big as it's a 3-way, so there is limited place for me to mount it. So I'm just wondering if there are other methods I might not be aware of.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I'm sure there is but I think it'll be cost prohibitive considering the materials and coverage vs finding a place to put it. If letting it hang down is enough to stop whatever it is that's bleeding into the circuitry, I'd try my best to go that route. Perhaps moving it to under the seat isn't that much work? Just extra wire

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had a similar issue (years ago) with a 2-way Focal passive crossover.
Crazy as it sounds; I wrapped the crossover with butyl sound deadening (Dynamat) and that seemed to isolate the interference.

Reactions: danny87

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar issue (years ago) with a 2-way Focal passive crossover.
Crazy as it sounds; I wrapped the crossover with butyl sound deadening (Dynamat) and that seemed to isolate the interference.
Foil layer was enough to block it? Wouldn't think it would if it was that strong but I've been wrong plenty

Must have been the foil layer of the dynamat. I'll see if wrapping it in aluminium foil would work. If it doesn't, I'll relocate the crossovers. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use a copper sheet and copper sleeves on and around my power cables and crossovers and speaker/ rca cables. This helps to KILL noise from things like the a/c vent controllers and ecu’s and other Electrical control units inside a dashboard and all around a car power system environment
You can buy this stuff cheap off of eBay and other sites

And if that stuff does not work. My little friend goes in and takes care of what’s giving me the d/c noise problems
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is weird, but i just turned the crossover upside down and put it back on the same spot, and the noise is gone. So i guess i dont have to wrap it or relocate it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This is weird, but i just turned the crossover upside down and put it back on the same spot, and the noise is gone. So i guess i dont have to wrap it or relocate it.
That kinda sounds like some component is loose inside the crossover.

Reactions: F150Man and danny87

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's near it?

Loads of cables. I'm not sure what cables are they, but it's a mess in there. I'm guessing whatever was causing the noise is probably something in the upper half of the crossover. So when i put it back upside down, it's slightly further away from the cables.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I use a copper sheet and copper sleeves on and around my power cables and crossovers and speaker/ rca cables. This helps to KILL noise from things like the a/c vent controllers and ecu’s and other Electrical control units inside a dashboard and all around a car power system environment
You can buy this stuff cheap off of eBay and other sites

And if that stuff does not work. My little friend goes in and takes care of what’s giving me the d/c noise problems
Lol

How does that work?

Many RCA cables have foil and stranding around the conductors already.

It must be doing something to the electrical field, as most materials allow the magnetic field to permeate them. So most do little for magnetic fields.

·
Registered
342 Posts
It works great. I have a meter that can point out any electromagnetic field coming from cables and I’ve done test before and after, and it does block any EMF & REF noise
I’m sure I have the wrong phases listed
But I’m sure you get it
They really help with non shielded power cables. As most are not shielded and to buy them cost a ton of money and this work around looks cool and works 100%

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
It works great. I have a meter that can point out any electromagnetic field coming from cables and I’ve done test before and after, and it does block any EMF & REF noise
I’m sure I have the wrong phases listed
But I’m sure you get it
They really help with non shielded power cables. As most are not shielded and to buy them cost a ton of money and this work around looks cool and works 100%

Are you tying one end or the ithe r or both to ground?

I don't doubt a shield on a non shielded cable could made a difference, but I would be more surprised on an already shielded cable.

A copper or stainless sleeve around RCAs can also prevent dogs from chewing them.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You're getting cross talk from a noisy power feed somewhere. Have you tried re-routing the speaker wires? You may have them zip tied to a noisy power feed. I wouldn't go the shielding route quite yet. May be a simpler solution. But, if you do want to shield it wrap it in this:

Then solder a ground wire to the copper shield you created and tie the loose end of the wire to a good chassis ground.

Ge0

Reactions: danny87
1 - 19 of 19 Posts