DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
So I did as you suggested, the sound was clear, not loud, but clear, so I think we are on the right track. Can you give me advice on the best way to get that one pair of Audio outs on the HU to run 4 speakers and a small sub through an amp or amps?
Usually say the left channel would go into a DSP, or an old skool active crossover to get woofer, midrange and tweeter bands out as separate channels.. and maybe a sub woofer channel.
Same story on the right channel.

The woofers and tweeters go into a 4 channel amp for a 2-way.
In a 3-way a 6 channel amp,services the woofer, midrange and tweeter.

The subwoofers are often goto a mono amp.

But there a few ways to skin a cat.

If you have passive crossovers then a two channel amp is used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Usually say the left channel would go into a DSP, or an old skool active crossover to get woofer, midrange and tweeter bands out as separate channels.. and maybe a sub woofer channel.
Same story on the right channel.

The woofers and tweeters go into a 4 channel amp for a 2-way.
In a 3-way a 6 channel amp,services the woofer, midrange and tweeter.

The subwoofers are often goto a mono amp.

But there a few ways to skin a cat.

If you have passive crossovers then a two channel amp is used.
Fantastic, cheers mate.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So I did as you suggested, the sound was clear, not loud, but clear, so I think we are on the right track. Can you give me advice on the best way to get that one pair of Audio outs on the HU to run 4 speakers and a small sub through an amp or amps?

Most (but not all) 4 channel amps will are built to receive a Left&Right RCA input from the headunit. Then through a button on the amp, you can decide if you want the amp to output 2 channel or 4 channels. So, with just Left&Right RCA from your headunit can have the option to play 4 Speakers out of the amp.(or 2 speakers).

So, If you Purchase a pair of 6.5 coaxial speakers (each coaxial speaker has a woofer&tweeter), that pair would use up 2 channels on the amp. Then you could use the other 2 channels for the sub(s).

Even though a coaxial speaker has 2 speakers (woofer&tweeter), it comes from the manufacturer wired as just 1 speaker, so a single coaxial speaker uses 1 channel.

Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
1 sub bridged, uses 2 channels. Or 2 subs, 1 channel each per sub.

I have never used or owned a 6 channel amp, but I bet you could find one that will take a Left&Right RCA input from Headunit, and output it to 6 channels.

With a 6 channel amp you could hook it up like this:

Front Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Front Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Rear Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Rear Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Most (but not all) 4 channel amps will are built to receive a Left&Right RCA input from the headunit. Then through a button on the amp, you can decide if you want the amp to output 2 channel or 4 channels. So, with just Left&Right RCA from your headunit can have the option to play 4 Speakers out of the amp.(or 2 speakers).

So, If you Purchase a pair of 6.5 coaxial speakers (each coaxial speaker has a woofer&tweeter), that pair would use up 2 channels on the amp. Then you could use the other 2 channels for the sub(s).

Even though a coaxial speaker has 2 speakers (woofer&tweeter), it comes from the manufacturer wired as just 1 speaker, so a single coaxial speaker uses 1 channel.

Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel

I have never used or owned a 6 channel amp, but I bet you could find one that will take a Left&Right RCA input from Headunit, and output it to 6 channels.

With a 6 channel amp you could hook it up like this:

Front Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Front Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Rear Left coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
Rear Right coaxial speaker, uses 1 Channel
That's really clear, thanks a lot man.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just make sure the Amp you purchase has 'Crossover' capabilities...You will need them for the Sub(s), without Crossovers, the sub will receive a full signal, and thats a bad thing.......

·
Registered
2013 VW CC
464 Posts
Just replacing factory speakers with aftermarket does not always sound better. A lot of the time it does not actually. WhAt car does she have? Does it have a upgraded sound system possibly from the factory?

Factory speakers almost always have more midbass and swapping them for anything aftermarket just because it’s aftermarket and “better” could sound like garbage and have no midbass.

Are the factory speakers mounted in pods or enclosures? In newer cars A lot of the time they are.

·
Banned
338 Posts

·
Banned
338 Posts
Just a heads up, those cheap chinese headunits are notorious for having very low output voltage on the RCA's so i would shy away from using "Y" splitters if the amp requires more than 2 rca inputs... UNLESS you use a line driver which at that point you may as well just get a new Headunit

·
Banned
338 Posts
Here's a higher quality Alpine amp that is 5 channel and has 2 channel input

I would highly reccomend considering 5 channel amps as they generally have a larger dedicated subwoofer channel instead of bridging two smaller channels on a 6 channel amp that may not have as much power :)

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
Just a heads up, those cheap chinese headunits are notorious for having very low output voltage on the RCA's so i would shy away from using "Y" splitters if the amp requires more than 2 rca inputs... UNLESS you use a line driver which at that point you may as well just get a new Headunit
Why is that?

I think that one could have a hundred splitters and not see a voltage drop, as the splitters are not "splitting" the voltage.

·
Banned
338 Posts
Why is that?

I think that one could have a hundred splitters and not see a voltage drop, as the splitters are not "splitting" the voltage.
You are right, you are not actually splitting any voltage, but there is only so much power or wattage in the outputs of those RCAs and you are splitting the power into half. Its an analog signal. I forsee higher gains on the amp and more noise introduced considering the outputs are known to be low on those heaudunits. I have personally had issues with this using multiple Y splitters with my gain having to be turned up and hearing hiss.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
There is ño power or wattage going through them to speak of.
There is just voltage.

The output impedence is typically around 600 ohms (and higher and lower).
The input impedence of most amps is in the 10-100 kilo-ohms.
So the current is 1/10000 to 1/100k of an ampere at 1v which is 1/10k to 1/100k of a watt...

·
Banned
338 Posts
Well in that case there are a couple more amps I will offer up that you will need "Y" connections with... Im cruising Austrailian ebay i will post them shortly.

·
Banned
338 Posts
@Kiwi - This is a classic choice right here. I believe its similar quality as the NVX JAD or Polk PA 5 channel. Great amp but will require one set of y splitters unless ran in 3 channel mode

·
Registered
345 Posts
Typical 5-channel amplifiers have a input switch that lets you drive all channels from a single pair of RCAs

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
@Kiwi - I will find a couple more for you if i can. I found this on Amazon.AU
FYI: New Zealand is the country where the Kiwis live... but the flag looks similar.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts