DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Noob advice please

2K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  lankfordcodi 
#1 · (Edited)
I had a bit of a search around, but just got more confused, hopefully someone can share a bit of knowledge with a newbie question, or point me to a thread, thanks in advance.

I am wanting to help my daughter upgrade the audio on her first car, its a little Mitsubishi. Anyway she has gone ahead and purchased one of those double din Head Units, the only important feature to her being bloody Apple Car Play. So the first problem I see is that it only has one set of RCA outputs, that I'm guessing are LF, and the standard ISO 16 pin plug.

Soooo this is what I'm thinking, please let me know if this will work, or if indeed there is a better way.

Firstly replacing the 4 x 6.5" speakers with much higher quality ones. I have an adaptor to plug the cars existing wiring harness into the 16 pin ISO, so I'm thinking that I will run the front speakers off of there, and run RCA's out of the one HU output to a 4 Chan Amp, and run the rear 6.5" speakers, and a small 10" sub off of that.

So can someone please tell me if this will work, running fronts of the ISO and rears and sub off the RCA outputs, or have i got this completely wrong?

See less See more
#5 ·
Its hard to guess that you will get front speaker output from your ISO 16-pin... but if you do, than your plan will work.

The RCA on the back of the head-unit are Full Frequency Left channel & Full Frequency Right channel. If you plugged those 2 RCA's into a 6-channel Amp, you could play your Front Left&Right, Rear Left&Right and Sub(s).

#8 ·
^^ This could be true. I had not considered that. The RCA's on the back of your HeadUnit could be ONLY Sub Output, and may not be Full Left&Right outputs.....

#16 ·
I thought the both sides of the Tasman spoke a similar language?

They sell the RCA to 1/8" and 1/8" to RCA at whatever the Dick Smith shoppes are called in NZ.
You will likely need the one that goes from the phones ear phone port with a male plug at some point... so you might as well get both when you are at the shoppes.

#25 ·
Just make sure the Amp you purchase has 'Crossover' capabilities...You will need them for the Sub(s), without Crossovers, the sub will receive a full signal, and thats a bad thing.......

#27 ·
Just replacing factory speakers with aftermarket does not always sound better. A lot of the time it does not actually. WhAt car does she have? Does it have a upgraded sound system possibly from the factory?

Factory speakers almost always have more midbass and swapping them for anything aftermarket just because it’s aftermarket and “better” could sound like garbage and have no midbass.

Are the factory speakers mounted in pods or enclosures? In newer cars A lot of the time they are.

#28 ·
#29 ·
Just a heads up, those cheap chinese headunits are notorious for having very low output voltage on the RCA's so i would shy away from using "Y" splitters if the amp requires more than 2 rca inputs... UNLESS you use a line driver which at that point you may as well just get a new Headunit

#31 ·
Why is that?

I think that one could have a hundred splitters and not see a voltage drop, as the splitters are not "splitting" the voltage.

#30 ·
Here's a higher quality Alpine amp that is 5 channel and has 2 channel input

I would highly reccomend considering 5 channel amps as they generally have a larger dedicated subwoofer channel instead of bridging two smaller channels on a 6 channel amp that may not have as much power :)

#33 ·
There is ño power or wattage going through them to speak of.
There is just voltage.

The output impedence is typically around 600 ohms (and higher and lower).
The input impedence of most amps is in the 10-100 kilo-ohms.
So the current is 1/10000 to 1/100k of an ampere at 1v which is 1/10k to 1/100k of a watt...

#35 ·
@Kiwi - This is a classic choice right here. I believe its similar quality as the NVX JAD or Polk PA 5 channel. Great amp but will require one set of y splitters unless ran in 3 channel mode

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.