DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum as Im new here. Please let me know the proper forum...

I haven't installed an amp/sub in more than 10 years...:eek: I recently picked up an amp, prefab box, and a sub for my car. Its a hatchback and the sub box will go in the back with the amp. The wiring and what not is pretty straight forward, but Im not sure what the best way to physically mount the amp. The last time I installed one, I just screwed it to the sub box. Is this ok, or should I build an amp rack of some sort? Right now its just one 10 and a four channel amp that Im going to use to power the front components and the rear sub. I don't have plans to expand any time soon.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
If you have some place else to mount it that wouldn't cause an inconvenience, I'd do that, otherwise if the sub box is solid I see no problem mounting the amp to it. I've done it before and never had an issue.

Some people might post here that the vibration will hurt the amp, but the box shouldn't be vibrating in the first place if it's built right, besides, the whole car is subjected to vibration anyway so I don't see what the fuss is about.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Come on you know you gotta have it mounted upside down with plexi to show off the 4 layer surface mount military grade epoxy coated circuit boards, on a motorized shelf, with color coordinated tech flexed cables and mood lighting. Otherwise it will never sound any good.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Where is CO are you? Is it going in a Jeep and if so what kind? A Wrangler may not have a lot of options, but in a Cherokee there are a lot more options.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Any more suggestions?
You don't really need any to be honest. If your sub box is solid and it's more convenient, mount it to the box. If it's not big deal to mount it off the box do that. If your sub enclosure vibrates, build or buy a better box.

Not to sound like an ass, but this forum is more for discussing more important things in depth then where to mount an amp.

I answered your question with what I thought was sufficient information.:)

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Where is CO are you? Is it going in a Jeep and if so what kind? A Wrangler may not have a lot of options, but in a Cherokee there are a lot more options.

For a Wrangler, I recommend the Sony XM class D series amps. They fit directly under the front seat where most amps won't.

That's where I put mine in my Wrangler. Plus, it's a Jeep, I didn't want an expensive amp in there, but the Sony isn't bad really. It may not be worthy of a full blown, comp system, but it is worthy of my Wrangler.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not going in the wrangler, its going in my GTI. The wrangler got its audio stuff stolen a few weeks back. Its a single 10 is a sealed enclosure. I also need to figure out how to properly secure the box so it doesn't move all around the trunk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.