DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

right that the plan (thank you archutek for the input there)

the gear:

Now i have a few toys here, and shur one or two things undecided yet..

alpine hu ida-x001
streetwires 0 gauge
stinger rcas x2 streetwires x1
mtx txc 4.1 speakers (front end)
amps
amp mtx 81001
mtx 7402
phoniex gold distro
playstation2
aux input adapter for hu *on order*
in dash screen

160gig ipod classic
80gig external usb powered hard drive

2x vibe black air II 12"

i also have a vibe 1farad power cap!!:laugh: might just use it as a voltmeter
vibe sek-50 speakers here.. Car Audio Direct - Vibe SEK-50 - Speakers
i might use them somwhere as well lid of boot(trunk) maybe:confused:

budget for build is €0.00 at the min (currently unemployed recession)

the goal..
1. decent sound for minimal outlay aiming for sql and not make it look getto

the problems
1. i have no shed i live in apartment so work space i am sure that a few of you have had that issue in your installs and had to make compormises
2. limited tools and knowledge.. starting to figure out ohms, load, rms slowly but i am learning a lot on this forum

the car 1993 bmw 318is

today i went and got a cordless drill and a jigsaw that will help a bit:rolleyes:

your ideas and so on are appericated but i cannot change equipment at present due to finances

now i guess time to start with the questions?
sorry if some of them seem a little stupid to you

is is worth me getting a another run of 0 gauge and grouding at battery?
also is it worth ground the hu off battery?
mdf baffles.. if the speaker fits in standerd loaction is there a need?

i am certain to have more questions as this is a learning curve please dont be to harsh on the noob!:D

thanks for looking

Denis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Holy graphics Batman! Did you put the rear wing on to help with down-force for that 138 horsepower monster?

I love E36’s; I have owned a 318ti. But damn!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Holy graphics Batman! Did you put the rear wing on to help with down-force for that 138 horsepower monster?

I love E36’s; I have owned a 318ti. But damn!
No need to cut down the guy's car just because you don't like the spoiler.

I normally run power for my head unit from the fuse panel in the dashboard and I typically ground somewhere close by as well.

Running back to the battery for amp grounds may be necessary, I know it was on my last install, but it is worth trying without first especially if funds are tight. No sense in spending a bunch on wire if you don't need to.

MDF baffles are normally used when the speaker doesn't fit in the stock location, but with some BMWs I know they mount the speakers to the door cards, which is not an ideal mounting. If that is the case, you will want to use MDF or HDPE(plastic cutting board) baffles to mount the speaker to the metal inner door skin.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this post. I would suggest reading no further than my next two (2) sentences.

Good luck in your adventure. You seem to have collected some half-decent equipment there that should make for a pretty good system.

But... On that car...

the goal..
1. decent sound for minimal outlay aiming for sql and not make it look getto
What, you don't want the inside to look like the outside?

Please... KILL IT...

!!

It's HIDEOUS!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply dogstar.. speaker loaction for the mids is the kicks, perfect fit onto metal, i know what you mean about the standerd loaction of the bmw speakers in the doorcards.. which i was thinking of for the tweeters.. in the doorcards sealed.. this remains to tought about
the door cards are very thing on the e36.

i have seen the plastic cutting board baffles on a thread here i have never seen that before. its all a education to me

standerd hu ground is prob good enough so seems to well secure in the passanger foot well

spoiler and graphics are a bit of fun same with the airbrusing i dont think that they are gettho because they have been done to a good standerd. and i know they are not to everyones taste.. on that one i will have a laugh about always, with friends and other bmw owners who went the more euro look with there car and modificatons.

the car gets people talking here as well but everyone has there views and its my car and i will continue to do outlandish things as the funds allow.. but doing them to my taste.. and i do have diffrent taste:D and you wud in dread if i told you the winter plans for the car!! and 1 thing i do know is it always catchs peoples attention sometimes cause they go why! and others love it:laugh:

reasons for a 1.8 in ireland, tax and insurance is robbery here.. i pay near 900 for insurance and 560 for tax per year

as for the cars bhp.. a lot can be done with the m42, so far i have a decat, and i have the car chiped and remapped, high lift cams and i never really seen the point in a million bhp car that cant go around corners

stroker kits are very common here for them and superchargers are starting to make more and more of a apperance on this side of the ocean
best mods for 318is coupe i think are eibach suspension and a l.s.d. much nicer to drive than a 320 just what i think but if i had the money of course i wud have a m3

you can see the screen and hu fitted in these so at the min there is
so the plan is.

0 gauge down passanger side done
rcas and speaker wire in the center done

when i purchased the bits i have i did not allow fo things such as tech flex or sound deading i will purchase the sound deading at a later date

i dont mind investing a reasonable amount of money into other pieces for the install if you do think of anything?

a few random pics so far

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
after hitting a bit of a problem to day i was just checking that the amps were powering up and the 7402 is fine.. but noting even a light out of the 81001!

i have these amps a good while now and powered basic prefab boxes with them in diffrent cars.. i hope it has not bit the bullet:(

·
Registered
425 Posts
Im speechless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts