DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, great site here. I'm installing my two-way front stage but I'm having a hard time deciding on a sub that fits best for me.

The hard part is it's a regular cab truck and I've got the following parameters:
- SQ Primary to blend with my CDT 07's
- 10"
- wedge box optimally .4 cubes but I'd grudgingly go up to .5 if it gave me a standout sub.
- mounting depth 5" TOPS.
- I have 240 watts to run it.
- up to $150

It seems I need a Dayton HO that'll perform to it's optimum on the HF power.

I also like the idea of a Peeless XLS Autosound (830514) for the mounting depth of 4.20" but enclosure size is .5 -.75 cubes.

Opinions on others or affirm that either one of those would be damn good choices?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
174 Posts
its not going to hurt the sub to run it with less than optimum power unless your clipping it hardcore. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything better than the HO at that box volume.

You missed the sale, but another option is two tang band 8"s they only need like .2cu ft each. If your amp is 2ohm capable that would work well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't so much concerned about hurting it as giving up a relatively large amount of output compared to something rated lower.

Perhaps I should be asking myself why I'm reluctant to go with two 8's instead. I guess I was thinking simpler the better. I could do 2 ohms on the sub channel - I think it's regulated (NEXT VRz 5.500). What would be the tradeoff going to 2 8's?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wouldn't think of it as giving up output, its more like having extra capability you arn't tapping into. A subs output isn't based on how much your giving it vs what its rated (a 200watt sub @ 200watts isn't nessesaraly louder than a 600watt sub @ 200 watts)

That has to do with the sensitivity. the higher the sensitivity, the louder the driver is with same amount of power. the HO and HF both have a rating of SPL: 87 dB - in other words with the same amount of power, they would both be about the same loudness. of course many other factors apply, but I hope you get the idea...

I'm not exactly sure how the 10 would compare to the 8's, as I've never ran either driver, but I know you would have more cone area with the 8's and running 2 ohms would run 240 to each sub instead of 240 to one 10". (also note running more power than the subs are rated for isn't bad either if you set the gains right, just ensures you never clip em.) I don't think you'd be looking for more bass in either case in a single cab pickup.

I'd get the 8's if I were you I think, it makes sence in your application and would work well with your amp. Well, First I'd verify your sub channel can handle 2ohms...

-Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts