DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there DIYMA,

I give you fair warning, I'm new to all this stuff (probably obvious :D). Anyways, the setup:

-98 Civic
-Polk MM6501's up front
-DXi690's in rear
-Alpine MRV-F300
-Pioneer DEH-something HU

The issue is the 6501's. They sound like crap - as if I put paper cups around the woofers, tossed 'em in the doors and called it a day. Absolutely no mid bass and the mid range in general sounds...hollow?

My EQ is flat, I don't have any bass boost or loudness settings turned on, and the crossover is set to 80 hz at the amp (will be running a sub).

The lack of mid bass is probably due to the grand canyon sized access holes in the doors, but any idea on why they sound so bad otherwise? Could it be the plastic spacers I'm using? Or will sealing up the doors fix everything? This is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would start by verifying polarity. Use the fade to just play the front speakers. Then use the balance to play just the passenger speaker. Is the bass improved? If so, then slowly adjust the balance so both front speakers are playing. If the bass decreases as u move the balance toward the middle, 1 of the front speakers has reversed polarity.

If the front bass sounds better w/ both speakers playing, slowly turn the fader towards the rear. If the bass improves here, then there is a polarity issue between the front and rear speakers.

If none of this testing reveals any polarity issues, then the problem is probably due to the back of the speakers not being sealed off from the front of the speakers. The next more likely possibility (and may also be a contributing factor) is a flimsy mount.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fading/balancing the speakers didn't effect the bass. I went through and checked the wiring again though to be sure, and it's fine. :worried:

Guess it could be the mounting of the speaker. It's really solid but I've read that plastic isn't the best option. Sealing the door should also help, just didn't expect it to sound so bad beforehand.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Seal the doors. The MM 6501 will give you plenty of bass once the doors are sealed.

·
Wave Shepherd
2,403 Posts
My EQ is flat, I don't have any bass boost or loudness settings turned on, and the crossover is set to 80 hz at the amp (will be running a sub).
After verifying your polarity is correct ...

If you are not running a sub right now, you are missing the frequencies below 80hz. Try turning the crossover off and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After verifying your polarity is correct ...

If you are not running a sub right now, you are missing the frequencies below 80hz. Try turning the crossover off and see what happens.
Yeah the polarity is fine. I just tried turning off the crossover and it did help with the "low end", but I never planned on running really low frequencies to them.

So far everything point to the doors not being sealed though. I'll get that taken care of and post an update soon! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What do you mean sealing the doors? Just wondering if it would be easier to make some sort of pod for the speaker.

Your issue sounds just like my brother's blazer, also with polk speakers. I made absolutely sure the polarity is correct and they are all ran off a JL xd700/5. Still have zero midbass. Its ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
What do you mean sealing the doors?
The lack of mid bass is probably due to the grand canyon sized access holes in the doors, but any idea on why they sound so bad otherwise? Could it be the plastic spacers I'm using? Or will sealing up the doors fix everything? This is driving me nuts!

Seal the doors so that the large as grand canyon holes in the door don't cancel the front and rear wave thereby robbing you of your low end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean sealing the doors? Just wondering if it would be easier to make some sort of pod for the speaker.

Your issue sounds just like my brother's blazer, also with polk speakers. I made absolutely sure the polarity is correct and they are all ran off a JL xd700/5. Still have zero midbass. Its ridiculous.
A lot of cars have big holes in the door to access the window regulators, locks, etc. Sealing them up is supposed to improve mid bass.

As for pods, I did get some foam baffles for protection from water. I thought I'd try them as a pod of sorts before I cut out the bottom half. What a stupid idea that was...they pretty much stopped the woofer from being able to move unless the foam flexed with it :laugh:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yeah for sure, I know about the holes, but I was wondering how you would seal them up. Would it be easier to make a pod or seal the door?

Could you fiberglass the foam baffle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah for sure, I know about the holes, but I was wondering how you would seal them up. Would it be easier to make a pod or seal the door?

Could you fiberglass the foam baffle?
It'd probably be easier to make a nice rigid baffle, but I don't know if the speakers are designed to be in a small enclosure like that. That and I don't have the materials to make them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts