DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting 12's in my trunk this weekend. The back dash has stock 6x9's and I'm replacing those too. My questions is: with the 12's in my trunk and my 6x9's hanging down into the trunk, are they going to be damaged if I dont have my back seat folded down?

I'm thinking that if they are or if it's just going to make them sound like crap Ima just have my fiberglass friend build me some little enclosures for the 6x9's and mount those on top of the back dash.

Currently I have a ported enclosure in the trunk and there are times I think I can hear the stock backdash speakers being "pushed". This could just be me hearing things. It could be because the stock speakers are crap. It could just be the little plastic covers rattling here and there.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the enclosure I am planning to build this weekend for the subs will be sealed. but I also plan to tinker around in the future with a vented enclosure as well. if having those backdash speakers mounted and using the trunk as their "air space" is going to be an issue for either instance, I'd rather just take them out now while I am doing things.
And the car is a 1999 Dodge Avenger.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe there is a member here named Tspence who ran across a similar situation. He may want to weigh in on this one for you. A search of "Violent Bass Air" might help you in your endeavors.

Good luck!

:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got done reading that whole f'n thread. I'm trying not to fall over up here at work because I'm doing something other than my job. I think I'll have my fiberglass friend just make me some nice enclosures for the 6x9's and mount them on top of the back dash in the cabin. That will solve any possible problems.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i dont think it would be ur imagination, with the air being pushed and the soundwaves being produced will affect the 6x9 speakers if they are installed IB so to say as the back of the cone is exposed in the trunk

so when the bass pushes air in the trunk it may have a tendency to push the 6x9 upwards

u can always build a little enclosure around them in the trunk to prevent it but its not worth the trouble to do that to stock speakers

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Take out the rear deck speakers to allow more bass to enter the cabin of your car...

Spend the extra money on better speakers and an amp for the front...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts