DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m an 18 year old and I just bought my dads duramax (crew cab). He had a somewhat decent sound system put in, but my teenage hooligan metallica addicted persona would like more. I’m not an audiophile, and I think the distorted loud stuff is dumb. I want the loudest possible setup I can without turning the entire interior into speakers, however I want to be able to actually listen to and understand the music still. I like quality stuff and I’m willing to pay for it. I was thinking subs and tweeters and mids (or highs and mids combo unit) in each door, as well as some extra speaker in the a pillar on the dash. I’m not fluent in audio language yet so bear with me. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,316 Posts
Don’t go deaf early.

The term”Stupid loud” is somewhat based in honesty… If you can be satisfied with something that is loud enough to cause hearing damage in an hour, then that will probablyy be enough. It does not need the power to cause hearing damage in 5 minutes.

And then a second benefit is that you can also save a few $ for another pursuit.

If it is somewhat decent, then maybe just add a sub and call it a day?
(Or figure out how to go from somewhat decent towards better)
That will take some measurements, or some listening in order to intimate what seems like it can be improved upon.

·
Registered
Challenger 392
77 Posts
I second what holmz said. Definitely don't go deaf early. I have some hearing loss between going to concerts and blasting music on longer drives when I was younger.

You can always start smaller by adding a sub then continue upgrading if you think you want more. I think a lot of pickups have space for under seat subs in the back if they are crew cabs. I don't know the specifics of your truck but it'll be loud having them close.

What did your dad have done to the truck? Maybe it only needs a slight improvement.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Agree with both posts above. We need more info about what has already been upgraded and what kind of speaker and sub locations and sizes you're working with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts