DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you already know, I've had some bad experiences with the STX 6 SQ amplifier. I've also read several comments from posters here saying that these amplifiers get extremely hot and that their sound quality is really not all that. Dealing with John or Scott with Zapco will make you want to stab yourself in the eyes with forks. They're very slow to respond and when they do... Theyre total smart asses. I just found out tonight, not only does this amplifier not like being bridged under a 4-ohm load but channels 5 and 6 are designed for low pass only and will only play up to a 1000 hz. This greatly disappoints me to the maximum level. I spoke to John and Scott on the phone about what I was wanting with my system and I specifically told them I wanted an active two-way system to where I can bridge channels 1 through 4 for the mid-range drivers and channel 5 and 6 for the tweeters. I made this very very clear to them. Guess what? They sell me the fucking amp anyways. This wasn't miscommunication I was just ill-informed.

Right now, I'm having no issues with my amplifier being bridged because it's an 8ohm driver. once you put a 4-ohm driver in there after 5 minutes of playing loud it'll overheat and go into protect mode. After years of being heavily involved in cardio but never doing it as a profession, I never gave Zapco a chance. when I finally do, look what happens. I'm not happy with them at all. Their customer service sucks and they made a mediocre amplifier that they refuse to take responsibility for. Yes, I had Scott tell me to install fans in my trunk to keep the amp cool. What is this 2001 MB quart qsd 216 era? All I'm being told is just to send the amp back but we already know the amps don't like being bridged under a 4-ohm load and now finding out the channels 5 and 6 is meant for low pass only. And... You hear floor noise in the speakers. I've never owned any amplifier that was full range for my front stage where I heard floor noise. This amp you do. If some of you are curious, the install in this car is excellent. The only bad component in this system is this 6 channel amplifier made by Zapco. It doesn't matter if I send the amplifier back and they put all top-of-the-line capacitors and resistors in the amp , it's still not what I need. They misinformed me and I've lost all respect for them. Buyers beware, stay away from their budget friendly class A B amplifiers. They are trash. I should have went with Arc audio class d full range. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I just did a build with these amplifiers and all was good until I drove outta town (2 hour drive) yesterday. Right before I got to my destination....the 6 channel cut out. I’m guessing because of heat. Guess I won’t be driving that car longer than an hour anymore. If I go outta town I’m driving something else lol.

And what really sucks is....I’d usually just buy some different amps and sell these....but I like the way my amp rack looks, and I don’t wanna have to pay to have the whole amp rack redone for different amps lesson learned as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did a build with these amplifiers and all was good until I drove outta town (2 hour drive) yesterday. Right before I got to my destination....the 6 channel cut out. I’m guessing because of heat. Guess I won’t be driving that car longer than an hour anymore. If I go outta town I’m driving something else lol.

And what really sucks is....I’d usually just buy some different amps and sell these....but I like the way my amp rack looks, and I don’t wanna have to pay to have the whole amp rack redone for different amps lesson learned as well

Send Scott or John an email and let them know the issues you're having and make it very clear to them that you're not happy at all. This really pisses me off that they're not taking any type of responsibility. I guarantee you, this amplifier will not be in they're line next year.

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what if it is
If it is... they need to add a big disclaimer and make it very clear that this amplifier is to not be bridged and that channels 5 and 6 are meant for subwoofer midbass duty only.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm sorry about your experience... I had zapco AP150.6 and never had an issue. They do like to run hot.

Scoot was always responsive on FB to me, but it took some time sometimes.

I'm sorry for your frustration.. hope you get something resolved. If not, put it up for sale and simply get Arc as you stated or Audio Control 1200.6

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it is... they need to add a big disclaimer and make it very clear that this amplifier is to not be bridged and that channels 5 and 6 are meant for subwoofer midbass duty only.
Looks like ch 5/6 has a full pass filter. From what I can remember you are using a dsp, so I'm not sure why you would be using the LP on the amp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
I thought Amplifiers that are "Full Range" cover the entire spectrum and should be fine for subwoofer work
Perhaps there are Subwoofer only type amps and these would be a better choice.

Zapco like many other Amplifier Brands does not need to state which Channels are meant for what, don't control how you match which amp to which speaker.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like ch 5/6 has a full pass filter. From what I can remember you are using a dsp, so I'm not sure why you would be using the LP on the amp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
John told me it has a full range and an LP but he said you cannot override the amp playing higher than a 1000hz on channels 5 and 6. Kind of defeats the purpose of even having a full range switch.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
OK.

1.) Can you show us the amps birth sheet?
2.) Can you show us photos of how you have it installed?

Big factors in the equation to me.

ge0

·
Registered
865 Posts
i had some zapco amps while back... they ran good but i wasnt impressed. never had issues and i pushed em pretty hard.

·
Registered
972 Posts
install install install, next question

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why not just move your tweeters to channels 1&2 and bridge the other 4 for the mids? Then you don't have to worry about the filter on 5 & 6.

·
Registered
972 Posts
if channel 5/6 are only playing upto 1000hz you would have blown your tweeters and they would have sounded like a55 from the moment you turned it on, you said so yourself that the install is excellent and it sounded great, hmmm

·
Banned
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if channel 5/6 are only playing upto 1000hz you would have blown your tweeters and they would have sounded like a55 from the moment you turned it on, you said so yourself that the install is excellent and it sounded great, hmmm
I have Tweeter blocker capacitors installed. 47 mh capacitors to be exact

·
Registered
972 Posts
You trying to be a smart-ass saying to work this time homeboy. Excellent install

View attachment 269133
smartass, well if you call the speaker feeds twisted like a pretzel and the power/ground with frayed wire handing out the screw terminals an excellent install than it clearly doesn't take much to impress you, homeboy

1 - 20 of 223 Posts