DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I would like to say that I love this forum. Currently I am running CDT 6.5 Eurosports and I hate the low end on these speakers other wise they are great. I was not planing to start looking for a new midbass until I saw this clip http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/BostonAcoustics/pro6.5.1.wmv and now I am on the hunt :D . I have been looking into the Extremis, Lotus, and the old Boston Pros (the ones in the clip). I am loving the low end specs on these speakers but how much high end range and clearity would I be giving up? I dont want to pay over 215 for both speakers shipped. By the way I will be selling my eurosport set.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How much power you got? All my usual recommendations i'm sure someone will chime in and mention so i think i'll stray and mention something different. CDT 07, right now don is selling them at dirt cheap prices. (if you qualify to his requirements of course ) At this price you can easily resell them for higher 6months or so from now, ( or at least get your money back ) High sensitivity (91-92db if i remember right ) And it's up there with the other 6-7 in it's price range in terms of output / clarity.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nah it comes out to about the same price actually, but the real winner is it's resell value. You could definitely buy and resell it for quite a profit if ya wanted to.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to be giving them 110 @ 4 ohms. From what I have read is that the G18rnx/p have deeper mid bass than the 07's.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can't imagine the Seas g18's having more midbass than my Seas excel w18ex001's. I've A/B'd the w18 and the cdt and the cdt had more output. You'll have to realize that the cdt's are 4 ohms vs g18 are 8 ohms, and that the cdt's are more efficient than the g18's.

Maybe i'm biased since resell value is a big part of my decision making. I hate losing money..whether it be off the batt or long term. Mobile audio is addicting and we all change equipment every season it seems...just sucks to be taking a fat hit everytime you go to resell. i almost gurantee you'll be happy with either...no question about that.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you big time! I bought my cdts used and I am going to sell them for the same price that I bought them and get the mids. I have always wondered about the Extremis though. Whatever I decide to get I am thinking of getting friday. I will be crossing them over at either 80 to 90 @ 24db.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Very good point about the resale value. I didn't know that Don was selling them so far below their msrp.

But driver to driver, the CDT is the same measured efficiency as the Seas G18RNX/P and W18 Excel. I think they're rating at 2 watts, or they fudged the numbers a bit. It's definitely not over 88dbwm though.

Output wise, the w18 has quite a bit more throw than the CDT 07. And the G18's have a bit more throw than the w18's. The difference isn't even close, it's quite easy to see just by moving the cone with your hand.

·
Registered
242 Posts
npdang said:
Very good point about the resale value. I didn't know that Don was selling them so far below their msrp.

But driver to driver, the CDT is the same measured efficiency as the Seas G18RNX/P and W18 Excel. I think they're rating at 2 watts, or they fudged the numbers a bit. It's definitely not over 88dbwm though.

Output wise, the w18 has quite a bit more throw than the CDT 07. And the G18's have a bit more throw than the w18's. The difference isn't even close, it's quite easy to see just by moving the cone with your hand.
Thanks for clearing that up, and Stop teasing! lol i think i might have to try out the G18 in the future then.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
wow I too loved m 07's (even though I took a hit on resale but I tend to sell low LOL )

man where in the heck can I order these g18's?? screw it Im going to run two per side lol

woops just found em solen has em in stock--though they are costly

2way this three way fierglass work sucks :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info. I most likely will be purchasing those speakers soon. How long does it take to ship them?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Solen's out of stock... I know cuz that's where I get mine lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
you should be able to find BA pros for your budget. I sold the whole set for that price.

I have the same Euro and the midbass is definitely not low but ok. I'm too tired of changing them out again. gonna work on other parts of the system. good luck

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How did you like the Bostons compared to the eurosports?
Right now my setup is
Pioneer Carrizzeria Tweets
Eurosports
8Ib4s
IDMax

But I am going to add some rear fill and make the 8ib4s my front subs instead of mids and replace the eurosports with a good mid bass speaker. So that I can get better imaging with my midrange/midbass.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have started to look at the focal 6W4311 for a good friend of mine and I was wondering what you guys think about those.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts