DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that you have to increase your gains to get the full power of your amps? I am running JL Audio HD750/1 & HD600/4 and it seems my trucks stock system is louder. Granted I am a noobie when it comes to audio and I am using my OEM 2010 Subaru Legacu hu. But with 1300 watts of power, I shouldn't need to Max out my volume button with one car window down. Any input or advice please.:confused:

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
It's in the setup. Do your calibration at a lower volume and turn the gains on your amps down for calibration. By turning the amps down, the end result will be louder. Then of course you can turn the amps up by hand after calibration if it's still not loud enough. My stock HU goes up to 40 and with the 600/4 and 900/5 powering the system, I have enough power that I never have to take it over 20.

If you start with the amp's gains maxed out and do calibration at a very loud level you will end up with a system that's barely as loud as stock.

For what it's worth, I start with all gains below halfway except for the subs that are 1/3 of the way. This results in a louder sub after calibration. I also like to set the sub gain to where I have to boost the sub level on the MS8 because it also boosts the midbass.

·
4,981 Posts
sounds like improper set up on the ms8...more details? in about 8 or 9 of the dozen or so ms8s i have done...the amp gains have been barely above minimum and its quite loud :)

make sure your ms8's master volume is up...

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ Thank you for your input, but I'm not sure how to do this. My installer will be coming by soon to adjust and add/Takeaway equipment as needed. I have a new DD head unit so I am not sure if this will stay in my Legacy, or go into my Ram...

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,367 Posts
There are several threads on how to calibrate and tips/tricks on calibration as well, you may want to read them and try it yourself.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All great advice and if I weren't being faced with $36,000 worth of damage to my house currently, I would have the time. In this case being a father of four, business owner, employee of PBG,and active member of Church I barely have time to sneeze. :(

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have one Of the 8-9 cars that Bing referred to + I have the same JL amps.

I found that 2volts on the HD's is having the gain bottomed out counter clock wise or all the way to the left. Run your MS8 calibration @ 35-40 level - listen to it then adjust your gains if necessary. Ive never had to bring my gains up past the 9'o clock position for great sound.
Also remember to turn the MS8 volume up in the -9 to -6 range and you should be good!
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to say that you gentlemen are some of the most helpful people that I have been Blessed to know. For this I am grateful.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Your welcome, but I am just giving back what was given when I needed help :)

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Is it my imagination, or was my post about my MS8 breaking deleted?
Yes.
Please go start your own thread regarding the problem with your ms-8 and your hints over a possible seller issue.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my installer will be addressing my situation next weekend. In the meantime, I have purchased a set of Focal Polyglass components, new DVD dd head unit,new mono amp, new four channel amp,and Image Dynamic component speakers. With this arsenal in hand whatever does not go into my Legacy will be installed into my Ram. You guys with all of your great MS8 advice ROCK. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts