DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished triyng to re adjust my gain levels to hopefully get more dynamics and no gain hiss.....well turns out i blew one of my Tweets, one of my LPG 26's.

Well this is what happened.....Was always told to turn HU up as much as possible, till it clipped and well on a 4k hz sine wave i guess 70/80 is clipping, well my gains were all the way down and well 70 at 4khz blew it, gains down.

Not really sure what i did but i know now 4khz at 70/80 on the tweets was clipped and never even turned up the amp at all, and tone then nothing from the right.....left was fine, or seemed that way.....

Well i guess its time to order another set. Be it mainly because i got them for $5 together....And the L one has a dent in the cone under the grill strange but anyway......I'm pissed.

Anyone care to help me figure out how to appropriately set my gains right.......without blowing another tweet.....this makes me so mad.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,946 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tweeter. I hope I did not cause you to blow your tweeter. I posted about gain settings in your post earlier.

What CD was you using to do the gain setting with. I really do not like to use sine waves. With sine wave it is hard to hear destoration, while I really can't hear it with them. I just use a well record CD (music CD) that I know very well and listen for anything that sound unnatural. Turn the unit up very slow very slow. Also what head are you using and what is the max volume setting on the unit. I looks like to goes pretty high (80). Also what is the power rating on the amps. Is this a all active setup or passive.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
i never use frequencies passed to my tweets for gain setting... usually do a 1khz sine for that job.

sine waves and music also have different power consumptions (sines being continuous)... which is probably why you fried it (depending on amp power)

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow you guys are nuts using sines. Just use music. Thats why it happened a sine wave will send MUCH MORE power and giving them no time to cool off because the power is constant. With music the power is lower and is not constant.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the responses, just not too happy, but i guess you live and learn lol.

This is an all active setup.

I have 40rms @ 8ohms available for my tweets.....HU is a 8053, and Amps input max is 5V. I was playing a sine wave to set my amps just to under distortion, which i obviously failed misserably at. My goal was to increase overall headroom abilities, and get louder, as my gain settings were not set proper the first time i set them, and i was afraid of running my HU any higher than the place that i set it before, which really wasn't that loud, which was one of my goals, to play the overall system louder if needed.

I played the sine waves just way too loud and my HU was clipping the signal i guess and it just fried the tweet, what i wonder about though is how the other one survived.....because it still works fine. So i'm not sure what the difference was. But both of them were previously used and may have had some problems i didn't know about, but i have a brand new set coming from madisound in a few days....this time i must set them right. I wish i could find someone with an osc. and use it.

I have used music in the past but always found that i couldn't get to distortion levels when listening to music, or i just couldn't hear it so thats why i was trying sine waves.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
distortion is simply when it stops to ONLY get louder but begin to sound different in the process until it's painfully obvious... if that makes sense

·
Registered
34 Posts
with a sine wave you were probably sending a TRUE 40w to your tweeters which is A TON
OF POWER. With music sure they can handle 100w amp easy. But a true 40w is ALOT of power.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well i should be getting my new 26's in mabey Wed or Thurs. I hope. So what ways should i go about setting my gains, to make sure that i do not do the same thing and get the clearest, cleanest signal possible, with plenty of headroom.

Is there anyway i could measure my HU's Voltage to see when i hit 5V, and then match my amps to that voltage, As my Amps can only accept up to 5V. I think my problem was not that of my HU, but the voltage that my HU was sending was above 5V, proboly somewhere around 6.5-7V, and the amp can only take up to 5V, so the amp could have been clipping anyhting above the 5V max. Is this a possibility, and if so how can i limit my HU voltage output to 5V and get that reading correctly?

·
Registered
530 Posts
hey demon sorry to hear about your loss ,with my 8053 i tune it with vol control on 70 max still clean on most recordings ,every set up is diff. but have had many amps driven with the deck and 70-72 seems about clipping piont regardless,ive never measured but in reality with music its not all that important,tune by ear with music or safer you can turn up your vol controll and use your ta gain controll to decrease each ch. you would like -ps press the vol cont in and hold to defeat the loud func.i couldnt find it! good luck

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words, i truely feel like i've lost something.........Odd but true.

I just don't understand how i clipped it so easily at 70 and without touching the amps at all it fried. I should have my new 26's so i'm going to be very careful with setting my HU volume this time, at this volume even with the amps gains all the way down, the music or tones are very audible, and i never heard it clip at all, untill i was using the tone, then it was too late.....

When i reset them i'm not sure if i'm going to use a tone or not, if i do, i'll take it from 0 on up really slow listening for any forms of clipping, when i hear the clipping i'll back it off. say 62, back it down to 60. Then start with my amps gains one by one. What would be a better tone to use to get my HU to just below clipping, or would music be better, i find music and clipping or distortion hard to hear, thats why i decided to use a tone this time.....I'm getting really nervous about getting my brand new 26's in, i'd be incredibly mad if this same thing happens again with them. I just need to be easy and take my time.

The TA level matching i've been using. The loudness fxn i always keep off.

·
Registered
530 Posts
to be honest, like the rest said i dont think it was the clipping ,but the cont sine wave digested by the tweets, and at 4k crossed over have to consider the hp slope involved 12 db?hope all goes well with new set,sorry about the loudness comment ,i purchased mine used without a manual and took me some time to find it!!

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tweets range is from 3.15k on up at a 18db slope. So i think the note was in there range easily. Its all cool about the loudness thingy, i never really read the manual to find stuff, just played with it, and its simple to use.

So you think it could have just fried because of the constant sine, and not because of clipping, is that the jist of it, i just thought it was severely clipped.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts