DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So since I started my build with a JL HD900/5 in a "stealth" sub box that fit in a cubby hole in my 2008 Audi A4 (0.6cu ft), I haven't been happy with my bass output. Which put me through various stages with a craigslist slash 1000/1v2 and now on to a JL HD1200/1. The 1000/1v2 had a dodgy switch and I figured there was something wrong with the output.

The sub is an Alpine Type X SWX-1043D. I am on my 4th enclosure, and my first ported (to Alpine datasheet spec). Tonight I went out and bought a replacement sub thinking it might be the sub which after hooking up I am going to take back tomorrow. I thought maybe the sub was defective.

I set the levels with a voltmeter to 1000W but it's exactly the same as the one before, nothing to blow my mind. Boomy but not loud. I have to set the gains with a -10dB 50Hz tone to even hear it over my comps. I can tame the boominess by dropping off the EQ at the bottom end (I have a bit one) which I'm guessing is to counteract the cabin gain? But I still have to have it at full gain to be able to actually hear it and even then it sounds muddy for sure.

I've tried adjusting the X-Over between 30 and 150Hz and different slopes but my main concern is the actual output. My expectation is that I would have to dial back the sub level for normal listening..

Basically.. Am I doing something wrong? What's the solution? Different sub? Larger sub?

I guess I was expecting with a 1200W amp and the Type X that I shouldn't be worrying about output.

FYI Boston pro60se's at the front from a bridged HD600/4, tweets and rears off another HD600/4.

Cheers!
Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do you have the input switch on low,.6v to 2v? I read somewhere before I bought mine that some people with high output heads were putting it on the high input switch?

·
Registered
117 Posts
My R12 plays loud off the HD 900/5,even with the gain all the way down,in phase or out. Of course if the dvc's were wired in series,on his X,that's an 8 ohm load and the 1200 would only put out 600w. Still plenty. If the X had the wires crossed,the VC's could be counteracting each other. his setup should be + to + and - to - for a 2 ohm load.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it hooked up to the "Low" input, sub in parallel for a 2 Ohm load. Tried switching polarity. Even with the sub isolated (polarity doesn't matter) it's not crazy loud. Will have another stab at it tonight. I have a sub in my B&W home theater system and that thing sings!

I am 3 different amps, 2 different subs (same model), 4 different enclosures into this..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wow Dave,that is a tough nut to crack. It looks like you've done everything right. Can you hook up the X to your home amp? Good power supply in the car? wires and ground points etc? Just shooting in the dark here,but 3 amps all with the same issues? Strange.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I think what rod was asking was "are the VC that you have wired parallel wired correctly?" you are sure that you have both + and both - wired together? if you accidentally wired one coil backwards, you will nearly cancel each other out and get almost no output. a DMM cant tell polarity. even backwards, it will still read 2 ohms.

one other thing that comes to mind, do you have a sub-sonic filter set? maybe it is set too high?

·
Registered
117 Posts
MB, the HD1200 HP filter is 30hz or off. I don't know what a "bit one" is,so don't know if it has an ss filter,nor do I know where his sub signal is coming from. My cheap Pioneer has f/r/sub rca out's,so that's how I have it hooked up. Maybe he's getting his signal somehow off a high passed front channel rca?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the Pioneer AVIC-130BT. One stereo RCA pair going to the bit one (DSP).

Sub channel from the bit one has an adjustable LPF filter on it.

Sub amp has LPF disabled and subsonic 30Hz subsonic filter is on.

Type X sub has 2 jumpers to connect the voice coils in series or parallel. I buzzed out the + and - they are connected together.

I know I am getting good signal as I can measure the voltage when I put the 50Hz tone through it.

I'm going to try tonight to up the gains and listen out for distortion instead of doing the DMM method. See what happens..

Thanks for the replies. Nothing obviously wrong then.. :S

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
check your bit one and make sure you dont have a sub-sonic (HPF) set on the sub channel that it higher than 30hz. just as a sanity check.

·
Registered
117 Posts
wow,I was gonna say check the amps filter switch or for the proper input RCA jacks,but this is the 3rd amp,all of which are different configurations and it's still quiet. So those can't be it,SO,must be time for a new car..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow,I was gonna say check the amps filter switch or for the proper input RCA jacks,but this is the 3rd amp,all of which are different configurations and it's still quiet. So those can't be it,SO,must be time for a new car..
Haha that's how I feel. I've swapped everything out except for a different sub, though the Type X gets good reviews everywhere and I currently have 2 of them acting the same.

Kinda wish I had never taken the stock system out!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Other option: sell the type x and try another sub from the classifieds. You may just want too much from a single 10" sub. You could get some more cone area and thus more output.

What are the box specs exactly?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other option: sell the type x and try another sub from the classifieds. You may just want too much from a single 10" sub. You could get some more cone area and thus more output.

What are the box specs exactly?
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

That's the box.

Single 10" cutout
1.65 cu.ft of airspace after port displacement
Tuned for 34Hz
3/4" MDF and 1" thick mounting baffle
9" mounting depth
OEM style charcoal carpet
Standard spring-loaded terminal cup for easy connection
Your choice of two-tone front panel
External dimensions: 29" x 14" x 14"

Alpine datasheet:

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you believe the box spec's,it's about 1/2 cubic foot too big. Alpine says you need 1' net and you've got 1.65 - maybe .1 for the sub. Stick some paperback books in there and see how it sounds..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you believe the box spec's,it's about 1/2 cubic foot too big. Alpine says you need 1' net and you've got 1.65 - maybe .1 for the sub. Stick some paperback books in there and see how it sounds..
Will this affect the port tuning?

·
Registered
117 Posts
As mentioned,yes it will change,upward though,and since the output is low already,what can it hurt,before you go buy that nice Lexus you've had your eye on?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Has to be your box, I've heard a couple type x subs and there awesome to say the least.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can pick up a 10w7 in a specced ported box for $300 from someone on craigslist tonight. What do you reckon? And sell the Type X. That's an alright deal right and he can hook it up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts