DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i've got a fiberglass enclosure (can't modify it much) that is about .44 ft^3 right now before displacement. I know the 10" sub i have in there is hurting it requires .9 ft^3 now i can modify the mounting plate for say a 8" sub. i have a N2 that does [email protected] ohm [email protected] and [email protected] ohm. What would be a good match up the Sundown E8 is about .07 displacement but i might be over powering it. The SA-10 is about .14 displacement but needs .65ft^3 so that is pretty much out! So a 8inch sub or a 10 with a small enclosure reqs. Give me some advice guys!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Hey guys i've got a fiberglass enclosure (can't modify it much) that is about .44 ft^3 right now before displacement. I know the 10" sub i have in there is hurting it requires .9 ft^3 now i can modify the mounting plate for say a 8" sub. i have a N2 that does [email protected] ohm [email protected] and [email protected] ohm. What would be a good match up the Sundown E8 is about .07 displacement but i might be over powering it. The SA-10 is about .14 displacement but needs .65ft^3 so that is pretty much out! So a 8inch sub or a 10 with a small enclosure reqs. Give me some advice guys!!!
You should be fine with an SA-8. Just adjust your gains properly and you'll be good to go. Otherwise, two subs that work very well in small sealed enclosures include the Dayton HO 10 (which would work quite nicely in that enclosure), and the Arc Audio Arc10.

A used IDQ10 V2 would also work well if you can find one.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the sa-8 or the e-8?
I haven't modeled them individually, but I can't see why they both wouldn't work.

Granted, I'd prefer a 10" sub due to cone area being larger.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
thats true but running the dayton at 4 ohm means i can only drive it with 200rms
Good point. I guess we can scratch that one off the list.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
lol and the arc says its ideal in .65 same as sundowns 10
Yes, but if its anything like an IDQ V2 (which everyone is saying it is), it should work wonderfully in that box size.

I can model it for you if you'd like. Give me the following dimensions and I'll get a frequency response for you.

height of center of driver above floor (or where you predict it will be)
distance from box baffle to the wall behind it
distance from center of driver to the nearest side wall
distance from rear of trunk (against tail lights), to the firewall in feet
what car this is going into

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1the driver will be approx 8.5-9 inches off the floor of the trunk.
2box baffle to wall is 5 inches
3from the center of the baffle to the closet wall is the rear 5 inches or to the side wall 9 inches
4 the trunk to firewall is approx 10 feet nine inches
it's in an 2007 audi s4

Just to visualize there is a storage cubby on the passenger side in the trunk thats where this box is mounted! thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You should look into the TC Sounds Epic 10. It would work in that small a box and can be wired down to 1 ohm to take advantage of your amp. Post impressions if you go with it!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Alright, got a few subs modeled for you. Check the filenames. I took off an approximation for subwoofer displacement.

For the most linear response, I like the Sundown SA-8 and E8 the most.

For more output, I like the SA-10 and TC Epic 10.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Wow I wish I knew how to read these a lot better then I obviously do
What do you have questions about? Those are frequency response graphs that show an output level at a given frequency. For sound quality, the more linear the graph is, the better. Large curves and peaks are undesirable because that causes one frequency to be louder than the other.

It depends on what kind of music you listen to. If you listen to rock for example, the lowest frequency of a bass guitar is 41hz. You won't have much use for frequencies below 41hz if you don't listen to synthesized music such as rap, techno, hip-hop, dubstep, etc. If you do, you'll use down to the high 20's. Some people prefer a heavier bottom end (20-40hz) for that reason.

What exactly are your expectations, and what kind of music to you primarily listen to? It seems that any of the subs I modeled will sound decent.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I listen to rock hip hop and pop. I know basically all around Music. I would like something than can be as loud as possible in the little enclosure as needed I'm running rainbow components up front and some rk6's in the rear and want to finish rounding out the sound

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I listen to rock hip hop and pop. I know basically all around Music. I would like something than can be as loud as possible in the little enclosure as needed I'm running rainbow components up front and some rk6's in the rear and want to finish rounding out the sound
In that case, out of the options I've modeled, pick either the TC Epic 10 or the Sundown SA-10.

I would personally go with the SA-10.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts