DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Trying! I don't want anyone to feel like they're wasting their time helping me. I appreciate yours and everyone else's input into this. It's how my system sounds as good as it does, even if it could use improvement

I played with it for a few minutes with the sub directly behind me, but not with it back in the cargo area (ran out of time on my break and had to run to a class right after work). I'll try moving it back to the cargo area tomorrow and testing.

Thing is... I really like the way it sounds there. It's ridiculous propped all cockeyed and firing half into my seat and half into my console, but holy heck I didn't realize the sub hit so hard. My eyes bobbled, literally distorted my vision a bit. I love it. I'm not just a bass chaser, the overall SQ is so much better there.

The vibration in the arm rest pulls the sound stage down, which I thought was interesting. If I had my arm up I felt the bass more up front, but when it was resting my mind was start interpreting it coming from the rear. But, still, wow.

I'm unsure. I didn't get enough time to really draw any conclusions. I was actually setting the delay by ear (I'm going to tape it tomorrow) and running the RTA, which I how I noticed the null increasing as I adjusted (I would restart the RTA every few seconds so it wouldn't just be a wonky average). I'm going to test it more, this is just a strange observation.

Tomorrow:

Set the delay correctly and test.
Move the delay around and test.
Move the sub to various locations in the cab and test.
Move the sub to the cargo area, test while adjusting the time delay.

Should I be measuring with the mids and sub playing, just solo sub, both?

Also, is there a way to tell REW to do a rolling average? Like five averages and then roll off the oldest as you go? I think it would be helpful when I'm just sliding the delay around.

Gah, if I could make the bass sound this good when the sub is in the cargo area I would be happy.
I haven't completely read this thread, so forgive me if I'm off base.
If you have a 180 hz null with midbass and sub playing, wouldn't it be logical to try an all pass filter at 180 hz on one of those 3 speakers?

Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Welcome!

I don't think the TuN software is capable of doing an all pass filter. I don't recall seeing it, and some googling didn't get any positive results. Is not that fancy .
Ok, sorry, I just kind of skimmed through the thread.
Maybe try some additional delay somewhere, 5.555 ms is the wavelength at 180 hz, so maybe add 0 - 1.388 - 2.777 ms somewhere to see if it helps.

Reactions: MercuryFlint

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Ahhh, glad to have that confirmed before i tried it. Just seemed to be a bad move, unless I plan on nearly permanent speakers.

So anything that is soft will do it? Okay, I'll see if the hardware store is open tomorrow .

The leak is around the speaker where it meets the pod. I've felt the air move around it, but I always dismissed it as the air moved by the outer face of the woofer. As soon it was pointed out to me I realized. To be fair, I had mostly inspected it before sealing the wires, so I'm sure that's forcing more air out of the gaps with it being sealed.
They sell cork gasket material at Autozone in the performance parts section.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
With smoothing at 1/6:

View attachment 318069

Is there a pattern to these dips that indicate a single issue, or is this just what you would normally expect from the crazy acoustics of a vehicle?
Those are probably normal. I have a nasty dip around 90 hz too, even with just subs playing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.