DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I retract my earlier statement. There are some songs where it's definitely muddier. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending some time tuning this weekend 😆

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
This sounds so much better. I didn't know what I was missing when it came to midbass.

Light Font Screenshot Software Technology

These are my current settings, set by ear. I'm taking a break from my drive and tinkering. I'll run REW tomorrow to get some actual data, but so far, wow.

I changed the BW to L-R slopes. I was using BW as they were really helping with the null, but changed these since it's universally recommended to start with L-R and I figured it was worth a shot. Seems to have taken some of the muddiness out of the bass.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Rectangle Slope Font Line Screenshot

Amazon misdelivered my hammer crimper, so instead of playing with wiring as I intended I decided to deaden the speaker bar and polyfill a bit. Afterwards I did some quick tuning.

So far I haven't followed any official guides for tuning an active 3-way. I'm just doing what I did when I was intro-tuning a 2-way: tuning left, tuning right, then together.

After playing with crossovers, slopes, phase, and a little EQ, I've managed to get it here. The bass is overall much better, tighter instead of boomy. I find that I'm turning up the sub a lot less now, I think I was compensating for the lack of midbass by cranking that bass knob. I still have a bit of a dip at 180 - 190 , and now this dip at 90. I'm not sure if I should try to find a way to fix those dips or just EQ down at 130 and 270 to flatten that area.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
With smoothing at 1/6:

Rectangle Azure Slope Font Screenshot

Is there a pattern to these dips that indicate a single issue, or is this just what you would normally expect from the crazy acoustics of a vehicle?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
With smoothing at 1/6:

View attachment 318069

Is there a pattern to these dips that indicate a single issue, or is this just what you would normally expect from the crazy acoustics of a vehicle?
Those are probably normal. I have a nasty dip around 90 hz too, even with just subs playing.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Easy why to tell is to take near field measurements of individual drivers.

I'd guess <1000Hz or so would be cabin modes and >1000Hz is stuff like comb filtering from reflections. I'm just guessing at 1000Hz, not sure what the cutoff is actually.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Easy why to tell is to take near field measurements of individual drivers.

I'd guess <1000Hz or so would be cabin modes and >1000Hz is stuff like comb filtering from reflections. I'm just guessing at 1000Hz, not sure what the cutoff is actually.
Ahhhh, makes sense.

I'll try EQ'ing down to smooth those peaks a bit. That dip at 550 is a little disconcerting as well. Though in my vehicle I guess a dozen cabin mode issues are to be expected.

181 - 187 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.