DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
61 - 80 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,244 Posts
That null is in almost every test measurement, in an open vehicle. I’m curious about a panel resonating. When I built my IB floor baffle there was a small spot that was resonating creating a null somewhere around 60-80hz. I braced it and it’s cured. I’m taking about a 16” by 6” area in 3/4 mdf screwed to the floor.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk

I knew I had this marked picture, I may have mentioned this to you weeks ago but it’s a thing.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
That null is in almost every test measurement, in an open vehicle. I’m curious about a panel resonating. When I built my IB floor baffle there was a small spot that was resonating creating a null somewhere around 60-80hz. I braced it and it’s cured. I’m taking about a 16” by 6” area in 3/4 mdf screwed to the floor. View attachment 316581
I knew I had this marked picture, I may have mentioned this to you weeks ago but it’s a thing.
It would make sense. If not that I'm all of ideas. You did mention that before, I just hadn't put it together with the null. Probably an oversight on my part.

I'm home, about to walk out and test it after I search out a tutorial.

Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Okay, at 180 I hear things rattling. Honest to God it sounds like the speakers themselves are trying to rattle out of the pods.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Okay, at 180 I hear things rattling. Honest to God it sounds like the speakers themselves are trying to rattle out of the pods.
Feel around and press hard against all surfaces. When I found that spot in my IB baffle I put my emergency jump box thing on top and measured again and it was a lot better.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
You can do a sweep measurement to see if there is a resonance on the waterfall plot.
Hmm, not sure how to do that. I've seen the waterfall option on REW but haven't fiddled with it. I'll pull it up and look for the sweep option.

Even the windshield, don’t those jeeps have a flat windshield?
Tried the windshield, the dash, all around the speaker pods and the speaker itself. The only thing that's helped slightly is pressing hard on the metal surround of the speaker, but it was just a slight improvement. I swear it sounds like something's rattling around in the speaker or pod. Would the speaker wire vibrating in the pod be enough to cause a null that severe?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hmm, not sure how to do that. I've seen the waterfall option on REW but haven't fiddled with it. I'll pull it up and look for the sweep option.

Tried the windshield, the dash, all around the speaker pods and the speaker itself. The only thing that's helped slightly is pressing hard on the metal surround of the speaker, but it was just a slight improvement. I swear it sounds like something's rattling around in the speaker or pod. Would the speaker wire vibrating in the pod be enough to cause a null that severe?
Na, it’s a floorboard or footwell or cargo area or door if anything.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Aren’t the doors flat?
Very. And completely hollow. I'm trying to figure out how I can make the RTA just run without doing averages so I can see if pushing on anything actually impacts what the microphone is picking up, just not having any luck

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Nevermind, figured that out. Testing now

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

this is a room measurement but it should get you started. he also covers some stuff for the waterfall plot. Saves me from typing...

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I looked at some pictures of jeeps, those doors are suspect as hell
Oh I'm sure they're trouble. I had a suggestion today to cut off the bottom of the inside panel, trace it out on MDF, and mount a speaker on the door panel that way, but my first thought was "I will have a crap ton of problems with that space." Still tempting.

I just tested with me outside the vehicle pressing on the door and the mic held at where my listening level would be. No change. However, as I lowered the mic towards the seat the null got even worse.

this is a room measurement but it should get you started. he also covers some stuff for the waterfall plot. Saves me from typing...
Hey, I'll take that video and appreciate it. Wouldn't expect you to type out a manual for me, though in many ways you already have 😁

Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just by chance, have you tried measuring with all doors open? I’d be surprised but maybe it’s a null from the dimensions in between the boundaries. It’s a long shot as there’s the whole top open but give it a shot while you are setup to measure.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Photograph Light Rectangle Font Slope

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Just by chance, have you tried measuring with all doors open? I’d be surprised but maybe it’s a null from the dimensions in between the boundaries. It’s a long shot as there’s the whole top open but give it a shot while you are setup to measure.
Got it! Doors open:

Light Black Font Screenshot Slope

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Don't know if it matters, but I tried the mic from the back passenger position and the null is worse.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Just for some additional data:

I normally have the polarity of both woofers reversed. Here are tests with them both normal, left only reversed, right only reversed, both reversed.

Light Font Screenshot Slope Line

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The effect on the null are minor, but the best is both reversed.

61 - 80 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.