DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
101 - 120 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Light Screenshot Slope Font Line

Left sound with CLD in the pod. The blue is the new reading.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Managed to get the other side treated and sealed but ran out of lunch time before I could run any tests. I'll run out in a few and test on my break.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Looks like it pulled some reasonable out of the pods.
Think so? Awesome! That's an improvement. I still hear some buzzing from the pods when I ran the test tone, but I didn't get much chance to try anything else. I had to get those deadened before it got dark, which it will by the time I'm off work.

This is with my PEQ still set to pull a lot of that 200 - 500 Hz range down, so I'm curious to see how it responds with the EQ turned off. I'll try to test that in a bit.

I can try that waterfall sweep again, but I have no idea what I'm looking for on that in terms of resonance. What do you actually see when you're looking at that versus the pink noise?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The spectrogram might show this better but both are 3d plots. The show freq vs spl vs time. So when you play the sweep you expect the speaker to play the freq and stop. Any additional energy present after is cause by some type of resonance. Kinda like tapping on a sheet of metal and hearing the ring. Or like some musical instruments like symbols.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
The spectrogram might show this better but both are 3d plots. The show freq vs spl vs time. So when you play the sweep you expect the speaker to play the freq and stop. Any additional energy present after is cause by some type of resonance. Kinda like tapping on a sheet of metal and hearing the ring. Or like some musical instruments like symbols.
Ooooh, interesting! So, looking at the waterfall that I posted, time is the Z axis, so are we looking for the areas where the "front" of the graph if more forward than the rest, showing the sound is carrying longer?

Photograph Light Nature Rectangle Font

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
That looks a lot better with the deadener! Far smoother response

I will also say that you have what look like 5” drivers in enclosures that are way too small…

most 5” I’ve modelled are roughly 2.5l ish… grab a 2l bottle of coke and then compare to your pods volume, the sound will be very compromised in those for me

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
That looks a lot better with the deadener! Far smoother response

I will also say that you have what look like 5” drivers in enclosures that are way too small…

most 5” I’ve modelled are roughly 2.5l ish… grab a 2l bottle of coke and then compare to your pods volume, the sound will be very compromised in those for me
Oh I'm sure they are. They're just an easy plug-and-play (with slight dash modification) option to add some kind of enclosure. Standard in these Jeeps the speakers are free air. Not even IB, just free air suspended in brackets. It's awful.

There's no more room in the dash, which is why I'm considering doing something with the doors. They're basically hollow. My buddy suggested just cutting off the bottom third, tracing it in MDF, and affixing a speaker to it, though I'll guess that I'll need to deaden the heck out of the doors for something like that to work.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I ran outside and decided to listen instead of test. My notes:

1. The music feels fuller! Like was said earlier, there's more "meat" to the sound now.
2. The highs don't feel as dominant. They've always overpowered, and while it's still a bit present, it feels more balanced.
3. Rear localization of bass is significantly less, even with having the sub right behind me. The kick drums feel like they're back in the dash.
4. The bass is tighter, far less muddy.

A song that I enjoy that I kept hearing what I thought was rattling no longer has that rattle. It was bad enough that I would change the song, even though I enjoy it. I wonder what other songs I may notice this with.

Overall, a significant improvement. I'm going to run more tests later, but wow. Just wow.

Reactions: Holmz

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Would there be any benefit to deadening the outside of these as well? I have CLD I can spare.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
There's still some resonance, I think. Still buzzes a bit on some notes.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Would there be any benefit to deadening the outside of these as well? I have CLD I can spare.
Maybe

There's still some resonance, I think. Still buzzes a bit on some notes.
However if the resonance is somewhere else, then apply it there.

But how to find it usually the crux of the problem.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Computer Light Black Screenshot Font

All drivers.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Maybe

However if the resonance is somewhere else, then apply it there.

But how to find it usually the crux of the problem.
That's certainly the sticking point. Something is eating up that frequency. It's better, certainly, but finding it....
I think you need to do more of this.

I wonder if you're testing yourself into a hole.
🤣🤣🤣 You likely aren't wrong. I do listen and enjoy, but while I try not to be overly nitpicky I do want it to be the best I can get it, factoring in diminishing returns.

I have a long way to go. Once I get my new sub and box I'll need to start a deadening project. Now there's a hole....

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
The right side seems to have slightly more null.

Light Screenshot Slope Line Font

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Without the EQ.

Light Slope Screenshot Line Font

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
So it does appear sub phase could be playing a part.

Here are some measurements. I started at a 4.5 ms delay on the sub and worked my way back to 0. Sorry it's not a little more specific, I'm sort of rushing at the moment but I wanted to test the earlier mentioned hypothesis on sub timing playing a part.

Computer Slope Screenshot Font Line

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If you're evaling a single driver you should mute the others. Once the issue is resolved you can bring back in the other drivers and make sure they're in phase.

Best you can do to those pods is deaden them, add some poly fill, and make sure the speaker and speaker wire are sealed up tight. You can try bringing the response down above 200 to reduce the null a bit.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
If you're evaling a single driver you should mute the others. Once the issue is resolved you can bring back in the other drivers and make sure they're in phase.

Best you can do to those pods is deaden them, add some poly fill, and make sure the speaker and speaker wire are sealed up tight. You can try bringing the response down above 200 to reduce the null a bit.
Alright, that's what I'll work with.

It's EQ'd pretty heavy in that region, but I'll reset it tomorrow and try again to see if I can get a better result. I'll tinker with the crossover slopes as well. The ones I chose were to help the null, maybe I can find a better setup.

Now that I know what a resonance sounds like I'm noticing it a lot in the midbass region in different parts of the dash. Shy of taking my dash apart I'm not sure how to address them, so I guess I'll research how big a job that would be. I have a feeling that I'm losing a lot of bass there.

101 - 120 of 182 Posts