DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
121 - 140 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I do want to say that I appreciate all of the help you all have given me so far. It means a lot. My system sounds so much better than when I installed it a few months ago 😁

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

Now that I know what a resonance sounds like I'm noticing it a lot in the midbass region in different parts of the dash. Shy of taking my dash apart I'm not sure how to address them…
You have trying tones right?

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I presume he means use a tone generator off your phone to play sweeps on individual drivers, it’s a great way to find those annoying resonances or driver issues 👍🏼
Ahhhh, hadn't thought of doing it with the individual drivers. Cool cool. I'm going to spend some time today fighting resonance and chasing rattles, so I'll try that 😁

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Light Screenshot Slope Line Font

I'm trying to reduce the overall amount of EQ. It gives me no headroom to tinker later. Getting there.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Something like this may help the too small enclosure:

Oh that's really cool!!! I might have to get a pair.

I did have a suggestion quite a while back about trying to make a pair of the Dayton RS-150s fit (6", but apparently they may still fit), but if I can't make those fit this seems like a good option.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Photograph Light Screenshot Font Line

Looks like I still have resonance in those ranges. Going to try deadening a little more of the pods and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Photograph Light Screenshot Font Line

After deadening the outside of the pods.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Light Font Screenshot Line Slope

Screenshot Audio equipment Font Line Slope

Yellow line is after the additional deadening. Helped a bit!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I presume he means use a tone generator off your phone to play sweeps on individual drivers, it’s a great way to find those annoying resonances or driver issues 👍🏼
Yeah…what ^he^ said.
(My dumdum doppelgänger.)

Reactions: Jheitt142

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Yeah…what ^he^ said.
(My dumdum doppelgänger.)
😆😆😆

Okay, can't completely kill that resonance at 180 Hz. I have CLD on the inside and outside of the pods, total coverage inside, almost total coverage outside. Still vibrates. Unless anyone has any other ideas for it I think I'll have to find a way to either move the drivers or go active 3-way with the midbass bandpassed at 100 - 200.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Overhead pods..

You could try fiberglass milkshaking the pods. That would stiffen them up a ton.
I've got a spare amp to test out the overhead pods, just waiting for my wiring kit (should have it tomorrow). We'll soon find out 😁

I'll Google that. I'd rather be able to address the issue without building new enclosures at the moment, though eventually I'd love to put in more up-front drivers.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Is it possible that it could be something else shaking away?
I wish it was, but when I pulled the pods the rattle followed. I had them sitting in my seats and still rattled.

There is certainly some movement in the dash, but I think the big frequency-sucking guilty party is the pod. Maybe with the CLD and doing the milkshake Lithium mentioned would be enough to stiffen them into subservience.

·
Registered
1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
Interesting! Any particular recipe you'd recommend for this application? I've read a few things and it seems like everyone has a different preference, but none of the articles were specifically for strengthening/deadening an enclosure, mostly for sealing boxes or to create to a smooth painting surface.

what do the pods mount to? could be losing some there as well
They're mounted Inside the dash to the factory speaker brackets. They're just held with four screws.

121 - 140 of 182 Posts