DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought said 880prs on ebay, installed it myself (my fourth install which I know is nothing) and everything was working fine. I spent a week tuning it and I was the happiest I've ever been with a setup. Today I got a ipod adapter in the mail and I hooked that up and that worked too so I cleaned up and turned the ignition back on only to find the hu won't turn on. Of course my immediate thought was the fuses (I have all wires bound using connectors and electrical tape) in my car, which I checked several times, the fuse on the yellow wire on the harness, also fine, I'm unsure about the tiny fuse encased on the orange wire and the coil thing encased in a larger plastic box.

Am I missing something?

thanks guys

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 880prs. There is an internal fuse in the HU that is very sensitive. I have never heard of it blowing when messing with the ipad adapter. (I have it as well.) If all wiriing and fuses are correct (BTW buy a chead soldering iron and get away from the connectors and electrical tape) then I would bring the Hu to a local shop and give them 10 bucks to hook it up to their board to make sure it works. That way you atleast have a direction to go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would disconnect the deck's wiring harness from your car and the deck... Then I would check for resistance for the power, ground, acc wires. If they are all okay, I would test to make sure your car's radio harness is giving power by testing for voltage to the radio harness with the key turned on. Make sure you do this carefully so you dont ground the live harness wires... This can help you isolate if it's the deck problem, wiring harness problem, or your car harness not supplying power and go from there. Try to push the faceplate as well because the faceplate might not be giving good contacts to the deck... Goodluck and let us know what you come up with so we can help you out... Steven

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
The pico fuse that blows in these all the time is for the RCA shields, it will still work and you get noise issues from the amps. I don't know of an internal power fuse but there could be. You can use a test light to check for power and ground they are only a few bucks, or a cheap DMM you can find those at times for low as $10. I never turn mine off it comes on with the key. If you hold the eject button for a few seconds it runs the face out for removal, if it does that it has power. It may only work right after turning off the key or with it on, iirc after while with no power it will not do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was the pico fuse. I'm not using the on board amp and I was trying to keep things tidy so I bound all the speaker wires from the hu harness no knowing they would overheat the hu and short circuit the pico fuse.

live and learn. I've paid more for the price of knowedge,

in hopes to avoid making another post..is is normal for the mid lf to be raised of lowered in 6.25 increments?

cheers

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The so called "pico fuse" has nothing to do with the HU turning on, but good job fixing it anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts