DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Background: I had an MB Q4.150 for about 2 months and then it randomly blew channel 2 and popped my tweeter just a few weeks ago. Then this below...

So I hooked up the Onx4.125 today and all was good with it. Played around with the 360.2 software for awhile and took a break. Well I just went out to play with the EQ and level match speakers on the L/R just for practice so I'll have a good idea when I put the cx62 mids in. Well I turn my car on and I get the same **** that's been happening for as long as I can remember. I don't know if it's these crummy Maxxsonics amps doing it or if my gains/voltage are too high and it's making it do this..but I'm getting a whine that increases in tone. Almost like a 1kHz- 6kHz tone played..but it's with the volume on 0! It's easily audible. I can't figure out what's doing this but I've been having trouble with this for as long as I can remember. Do you think its the amp or possibly my gains/voltage being set too high. My gains are set to ALL the way down and my 360.2 output levels are just short of halfway down also (about -10 to -12db for tweets and mids, respectively).

Anyways, I hear that and then I put my foot on the gas on accident and hear audible static come from the tweeters (maybe mids also but I heard tweets loud and clear). I'm not sure if this was a function of me pushing the gas pedal..but as you can figure...that's a problem if I'd ever like to move the car lol. I shut it down immediately and I think I'm going to unplug the tweeter RCA's until I can get a CAP to protect them just in case something ****ty happens like my Q4.150 popping the tweeter due to a bad channel.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if this belongs in here or in General...mod can move it if you want

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sounds like a run of the mill ground loop with a little alt wine thrown in for flavor.
Ground sanded to bare metal? If unplug the rcas at the amp does it go away or stay the same?
Im can tell for sure that the mb's have gotten a rep for ****ing up tweets and all kind of weird ****.
I myself had alot of issues with static and a random pop. switched amps one afternoon while trying to figure out what the hell was going on and with my old jbl back in all wa good.
So do a little trouble shooting and if you can't figure it out it's most likely that ****ty ass maxxsonics ********.
They make it seem so good for the money though it seems crazy not to go with one when your on a budget though. If only they would get their **** together.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a run of the mill ground loop with a little alt wine thrown in for flavor.
Ground sanded to bare metal? If unplug the rcas at the amp does it go away or stay the same?
Im can tell for sure that the mb's have gotten a rep for ****ing up tweets and all kind of weird ****.
I myself had alot of issues with static and a random pop. switched amps one afternoon while trying to figure out what the hell was going on and with my old jbl back in all wa good.
So do a little trouble shooting and if you can't figure it out it's most likely that ****ty ass maxxsonics ********.
They make it seem so good for the money though it seems crazy not to go with one when your on a budget though. If only they would get their **** together.

Area was sanded down to bare metal. Using the same ground for both amps and it was a ground for something from the factory. So technically I have 3 things grounded to the same area...and both amps are from the same grounding location. Is that normal or does that need to be fixed?? The whole increasing whine is really weird. I assume that's the ground "loop"

Yeah after having it pop my tweeter already..I don't want to do that again. Might just sell it and move on. :mean:

Anyone else know this problem??

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
post 11http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/105023-mb-quart-onx4-125-amp-these-speakers.html thats all i got for now.
Jst type in mb quart and do a search i believe all have been in the geberal q part of the forum.
Does the pdx have any problems with? you might not be able to hear it through the subs but they might still be moving when you pause your hu and if you cant see it put your hands on the subs gently there might be slight vibrations and that would most def lead be to believe that you have a ground loop.
If not then try and swap out amps if the problem goes away sell that ****.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Well I planned on unplugging RCA's to see if the problems goes away like you said. If it doesn't...I'll unplug them until I can figure out wtf is going on as I can't pop another one. So the subs will move even with no volume if I have a ground loop problem?? I'll check that

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I just read the thread on Tweeter Caps... but I'm still a little confused. I will be running the Maxxsonics onx4.125 (125 @ 4ohms) for my tweeters so I'd like to protect them as my last MB Quart q4.150 popped a tweeter. I want to make sure I get this correct so I'm coming to you all...and I truly appreciate the help!!

It'll be crossing the ID xs28 tweeter anywhere from 3kHz to 3.5kHz and likely using a 24db slope (I have 12db available also from the 360.2 but I figure the higher slope is better on a tweet). SOO...since I'm using a high slope, I can just half the x-over freq. and pick up a cap that is recommended when I put those #'s into the "the12volt" website??

@ 3kHz.... I'm getting a 13ufd cap
@3.5kHz... I'm getting a 11ufd cap

Correct??

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wait...I think you're supposed to plug in 1/2 the value of the x-over you will use into the12volt calculator. That gives me a cap anywhere from 22-26ufd for these x-overs. Hopefully that seems correct. I just want to make sure there's nothing that will change SQ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts