1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much everything else sorted out except how to get the factory
head unit to switch on the JBL MS-8. I have been told there are devices that
measure voltage draw from the HU and they can be used to trigger on and off
auxiliary devices such as amps or processors??

I have tried using a multimeter to check output from the factory HU, the
switching is done through data , I could not find a positive current turning on
or off by switching the HU on and off.

I have heard Stinger makes one?
(I have not found the correct terminology, or model number)

What is the correct terminology/name for such a device?
Are there companies other than Stinger (if in fact they do make such a thing?)
that makes these?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Does your cigarette lighter work when the key is in the off position? If so, that'll save you some time.

If not, then you have to look under the dash and find switched 12v. Use a Scotch Lock, ghetto up a fuse of some sort, and run primary to your processor. Shouldn't take more than 30min.

If you want to get really fancy you can use the 12v switched to energize a relay. Very handy if you're using several amps along with a processor or two.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
There should be a switched accessory wire somewhere in the car. Tap into that. (a relay may be necessary)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I could easily have either an on / off switch that I manually flick on an off coming off an auxiliary,
or also hard wired when the car auxiliary is on.

However my express goal is that when the head unit is on, the processor and amps are on,
and when the head unit is off, everything is off - just like a bought one!

Does your cigarette lighter work when the key is in the off position? If so, that'll save you some time.

If not, then you have to look under the dash and find switched 12v. Use a Scotch Lock, ghetto up a fuse of some sort, and run primary to your processor. Shouldn't take more than 30min.

If you want to get really fancy you can use the 12v switched to energize a relay. Very handy if you're using several amps along with a processor or two.
There should be a switched accessory wire somewhere in the car. Tap into that. (a relay may be necessary) .
Thank you both for your very valid suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts