DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my OEM head unit is NAV, DVD, internal hard drive, Satellite, flip down face, Bluetooth phone/A2DP/AVRCP streaming, etc... its everything I need/want for a head unit, so I dont need to replace it.

The rest of the system is HAT fronts, SSA Dcon 12 sub, and an old school Sony ES amp.

Thats the background... here is the question

I am currently using an MTX RE-q because the OEM system strips out the low-low bass to protect the stock speakers. It works... and I dont have much to complain about, but it just doesnt work well enough for me.

So, I am looking for input from the DIY family on the Precision Power INT.5B vs the MTX RE-q.

IT looks like the INT.5B puts out a higher voltage (4v min/30v max vs 2v fronts and 4v sub)

But, does the PPI work better? is it cleaner? better "processing" of the bass restoration? - or does it even DO that? the PPI website is horrible at explaining what exactly the "OEM Integration Bass Processor" does.

I need to keep the cost down so buying a Cleansweep or MS-8 are not an option. I need something I can "set and forget" with no additional knobs or unnecessary controls (once tuned)

Thanks
-Ryan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesnt work well enough: It's noisy and doesn't boost any bass below 40hz.

Adding an inline EQ isn't a bad idea, I am sure that there isn't anything complex about the way they are stripping bass out of the system... Just a -xxdb.

The big issue is the signal noise...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you considered the Audiocontrol LC2i??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the LC2i doesnt have any kind of signal flattening (adding in the bass thats been stripped out by the OEM system)

but, if I do go with an EQ that doesnt have high-level inputs, the LC2i or the PG TLD22 would work well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the JL audio Cleansweep is looking appealing, though at 250.00 its more than I was hoping to spend.

The INT.5B looks like a better solution than the RE-q, IF it works the way I think it does - which is to convert the signals and allow me to EQ the bass back into the system - but since I cant find any info on how it works (PPI site doesnt tell me anything), I cant be sure.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
What about some diy and add in an miniDSP and a PAC for Hi level inputs.

And for $250 you can find an RF 360 or another full DSP unit.

EDIT: Also, is it possible some HU channels have worse problems than ohers and you can just use the better of the channels by splitting that signal?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about some diy and add in an miniDSP and a PAC for Hi level inputs.

And for $250 you can find an RF 360 or another full DSP unit.
Could you explain more about the DIY/miniDSP?

I guess I should mention that one of the "requirements" is that I dont lose my OEM volume controls - which can be done with the cleansweep, but its not really designed for it and doesnt work well (from my understanding, no personal experience)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT: Also, is it possible some HU channels have worse problems than ohers and you can just use the better of the channels by splitting that signal?
I have used all 4 of the channels and all 4 sound the same - though I have not measured them to be certain if fronts or rears are genuinely different...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The miniDSP is a software configured DSP unit that is quite versatile. If you really want to know more then read this http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...orum/80665-minidsp-excellent-alternative.html

I don't have much experience with OEM integration and am not sure why you would or would not lose remote volume control.
Wow - not sure how I missed all the fun with the miniDSP... I think that is a game changer right there.

if I am going to spend 250 on a processor - I might as well spend LESS!

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts