DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up an IB wall(trunk baffle) in my 98 Civic. I noticed that there is a vent in the trunk behind the wheelwhell on the drivers side.
Technically I need to seal it up, but I was curious to know what purpose it normally served. Anybody?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I am finishing up an IB wall(trunk baffle) in my 98 Civic. I noticed that there is a vent in the trunk behind the wheelwhell on the drivers side.
Technically I need to seal it up, but I was curious to know what purpose it normally served. Anybody?

If I'm not mistaken it serves to let the interior cabin breathe when the doors/windows are closed.

Think of it this way, for air to come in, air must go out...so if you fire up our air conditioner and there wasn't an easy vent for air to leave, it would find another way out and the A/C would also have to work way harder

·
Registered
393 Posts

Do not seal it up !

if it's black and it may have a flapper it's to let Mositure out

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
Do not seal it up !

Plz My has been sealed up since dec. and no problems at all.

My last car it was sealed up also and never a problem. I don't have a problem with air escaping out and doors do not hurt my ears at all when closing with it sealed off so I dont know what everyone is talking about. I do know the flaps do open though when you close doors.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do not seal it up !

Well, it is black and it does have a "flapper". I figure I can seal it up and if it causes problems I can unseal it.

It has occurred to me though that with all the different trunk builds we see done, this hasn't really been much of an issue.

Maybe the potential for people to store gas and the like has lead automakers to vent the trunks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Why do you think you would need to seal it up for an IB install? Quite the opposite is true, IB means INFINITE baffle, meaning, ideally, NO enclosure be behind the sub, and if your trunk had vents all over it to the outside of the car it would be even better for IB. A giant sealed trunk is not IB, it is technically a very large volume sealed box.

I see zero reason to ever seal it up (mildew and mold take longer than a month to grow btw, so moisture could be an issue down the line) just seems like more work for zero gain.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Shadowfactory is right. It doesn't do any harm at all in an IB configuration. Ironically, if your trunk is completely sealed off from the passenger compartment, the vent is already not doing what it is intended to do. In my experience even a "perfect" seal allows some air to pass between the spaces. If the flapping noise bothers you, you can quiet it with a thin layer of CCF.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I would think for IB purposes, leaving it open would give the sub an inconsistent trunk volume for the cone to spring against while playing. Since it's not really IB but a big sealed box. Just a thought though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would think for IB purposes, leaving it open would give the sub an inconsistent trunk volume for the cone to spring against while playing. Since it's not really IB but a big sealed box. Just a thought though.
so with enough ventilation would it not then become a true IB?....curious as there seems to be a couple different views on this.

Personally I dont want my sub to "see" my trunk space, so I left the vents open.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
so with enough ventilation would it not then become a true IB?....curious as there seems to be a couple different views on this.

Personally I dont want my sub to "see" my trunk space, so I left the vents open.
With enough ventilation yeah, but my concern would be if its somewhere in between.

I see it like putting a speaker on a big test baffle and putting a seal box on the rear of the driver. If you take off the back panel of that box then the change to the sound won't be any different then if it was being run IB on the test baffle, but if you drill a 1/2 inch hole in that box? Will it change the sound in a bad way compared to if it was properly sealed?

Dunno, just a though.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
With enough ventilation yeah, but my concern would be if its somewhere in between.

I see it like putting a speaker on a big test baffle and putting a seal box on the rear of the driver. If you take off the back panel of that box then the change to the sound won't be any different then if it was being run IB on the test baffle, but if you drill a 1/2 inch hole in that box? Will it change the sound in a bad way compared to if it was properly sealed?

Dunno, just a though.

Well When my IB gets done I will let you know my results I am going to run 3 jbl gti's in my car which is 16.5 cubic ft. Each gti will use at least 5 cubic ft in order to get 3x the vas. My vents are takin out followed by dynamat extreme then added on top of that is expanding foam and sprectrum. So I know mine is sealed off for sure. Anyhow if mine sound bad I will be back on here to comment in the future to let everyone know how it did.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you think you would need to seal it up for an IB install? Quite the opposite is true, IB means INFINITE baffle, meaning, ideally, NO enclosure be behind the sub, and if your trunk had vents all over it to the outside of the car it would be even better
Definitely makes sense. I guess with the fixation of sealing the back wave from the front, I was getting sealing crazy.

I know Eric Stevens and the ID guys prefer to call it a "trunk baffle". I think I read that this is because it is in effect never true "infinite baffle" in a car.I think the enclosure volume relative to the vas of the sub determines if it will act as IB.(Maybe 2x vas?)

I hope some of the old school guys can clear this up.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I took the rubber seals out of mine, when I had my subs in a sealed box. They would make noise that drove me crazy. So mine are wide open. I think if their only purpose is to relieve the air pressure, then a good sealed IB setup will render them useless anyway.

I wouldn't seal them up, but I'm curious if they serve any other purpose that would influence me to putting the rubber seals back on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts