DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Old School Showoff thread grows to epic proportions, I noticed that there really wasn't a proper thread to post up things like documentation, install pics, and supporting accessories from our old school past. I brought this up and I was challenged to start a new thread for these things, but at the time I really didn't have the motivation to do it. Right now, I say 'why not?', so I'd like to introduce the Official DIYMobileAudio Old School support thread.

In this thread I hope that we can get some insight into what it was actually like to be in an audio store back in the old days. There were lots of products that you could get by being an authorized dealer back then, but these things typically got given away or tossed out. Still, many people kept these items and I know theres more than a few guys here that have these items. This includes but ain't limited to the following:

- install/tech/owners manuals
- dealer only price sheets
- dealer promotional materials (signs and banners, POS signs, giveaways)
- dealer tech equipment
- T-shirts, jackets, hats, etc
- magazine collections
- ads
- personal pics of soundboards and demo rooms
- brochures
- anything else that doesn't fall under the typical "HU/speakers/amps/EQ" category but still is part of the Old School memory

I've seen bits and pieces of this stuff in photos in the Old School thread, and I get the feeling that theres a lot of it out there waiting for a proper thread. Here it is, post up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To start off, my dealer plexi from Proton:

Its dirty from sitting around drywall dust, and it has a scratch or two, but cleaned up it looks incredible.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No self-respecting Concord dealer in 1984 would attempt an install without their trusty Suppressor Selector:

It was most likely a repackaged Caltex tester, as they manufactured most of the noise suppression gear back in the day, even for Concord. Here's a complete collection of every NS piece listed on the front of that tester:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When using those sensitive old Concord HU's, you also had to look for a good ground. Not easy to do in some of the body-on-frame cars of the 70s, but it got a whole lot easier when unibody construction became widespread later on. Until then, you needed the official Concord Ground Loop Detector, shown here next to an early 500-series brochure:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you guys like it. The next chance I get I'm going to go through my files and definitely pull out some surprises for everyone. Confidential dealer pricing, ads from old-school era wholesalers, and vintage product brochures that are in new condition. Thats just scratching the surface...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Did you bury a old school car audio store and just dig it up? Haha

Old confidential pricing should stir some feathers.. actually, I'm curious what some of my old stuff was going for when dealers bought xyz quanity

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually you're not too far off the mark.

I began with a hi end store in the early 80s. I was there for a couple of years, and I learned a lot about audio, both home and car.

One day the store owner came in and announced he had decided to close down the car audio section because of low sales. They had a hard time convincing people to spend a lot of money on a car system. How things change...
They tore down the sound room and boxed everything up. I asked the owner what he was going to do with it all and he had no idea. So I asked him if I could take everything and try to sell it for him. I have no idea why, but he agreed.

I packed my car with thousands of dollars of high end car stereo gear and brought it home. I also boxed up every bit of the support gear and all the documents and sales brochures. I cleaned out all the file cabinets and even took the 2nd-tier distributor catalogs. I took company newsletters, I took signs and banners. While other guys had pics of bands, cars and babes on their walls I had posters showing the guts of a Rockford Fosgate Power series amp, and signs proclaiming that I sold Concord, NEC, PolkAudio, and NAD. I ran a hifi shop out of a closet in my house and was moderately successful pushing Denon, KEF, Proton, Concord, and RF on the world. I had the ultra rare ThugBug alarms, the predecessor to the VSE Derringer. But I was a bit ahead of my time. There was no such thing as credit for 20 somethings who wanted to boom their Escalades, not yet.
Eventually I sold most of the gear off, and threw out quite a bit of the documentation, mostly duplicates, but I kept the interesting stuff obviously. I wish I had kept everything now, but at the time I was tired of tripping over it and moving those boxes around.

So I guess you could say I am digging up a buried store. I've been hanging on to this stuff forever out of sentimental value. At one point I was determined to build a replica of a functioning old school hifi store in my home. This isn't as insane as it sounds when you think of the people who have built computer museums and complete functioning arcades in their homes. I've since given up on the idea, as I would prefer to look forward to some new projects. But my memories of this stuff will last forever.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have to do some kind of a trade for your Proton key chain. Thats one of the few things I don't have. Is that the black brushed metal tag or the plastic one?

·
Keepin' It Old School
1,028 Posts
Great idea for a thread and proof DIYMA needs a section dedicated to Old School gear...I have a TON of lit, ads, etc. I posted a bunch in the Vintage RF forums, but since they will be discontinued on 12/31/11, I see no reason not to repost them here...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Most people don't know that this ad was no marketing BS, they actually had the guy whack the PC boards with a rubber mallet..

After the 24 hour long burn in period, they would hook each board up to the diagnostics gear, and Bruce would wail on the test chassis with that very same mallet you see in the photo. If the meters moved - even a tiny hair - he would fail the board. Absolutely no BS.

What was his last name? My rep told me the whole story and I just can't remember his name.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This one is for Chuck :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks! Now I wish I hadn't thrown out my Thug Bug display setup. A full working Thug Bug set in black plexi. I actually installed it in a car a couple years later.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts