DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the internet is horrible! i've been amp shopping for my system for a few weeks actually looking for a pair of macintosh mcc404m or mc420m...

i came across this a few days ago and have been staring at the gorgeous pictures every day and then a few hours ago, i couldn't resist anymore. made a offer for $3k and the seller let it go.

RARE LUXMAN CM-2100 & LUXMAN CM-4050 Limited Edition | eBay
so now i'm $3k poorer but have a couple of rare amps...mixed emotions now and not sure if my wife will be happy when she finds out tomorrow, lol

they were going drive a set of morel elate limited edition 2ways but now i'm thinking of picking up something a bit more exotic from that damn exotic components thread...did i mention the internet is horrible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I talked to the seller and he is legit on another item, and yes the Internet is very evil. My wife said she would kill me if I bought those amps you bought from anonthny one. Keep us posted on how it turns out.:D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Those amps are f'n sweet! I have been ogling those for a few days myself! I hope you love them as much as I would have. These are top shelf amplifiers! Congrats!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
to each his/her own. but I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect here, lol. in a car audio environment, I dont see how a $1500+ 50W x 4 is gonna sound alot better than a $600 50W x 4. certainly wont sound 2 -3 x better.

hope you like em though..............and hope you stay married :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
to each his/her own. but I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect here, lol. in a car audio environment, I dont see how a $1500+ 50W x 4 is gonna sound alot better than a $600 50W x 4. certainly wont sound 2 -3 x better.

hope you like em though..............and hope you stay married :D
I don't think the law of diminishing returns works in this case... It's a Hobby To each their own, right? :)

Same could be said for a $15 casio watch and a Panerai watch. One doesn't tell time better than another.

Regardless, Luxman gear is awesome. I once had one of their full class-a home integrated amps at work and fell in love with it. It wasn't the most dynamic thing in the world, but oh boy, ot made some beautiful music.

Nice buy!!!!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I don't think the law of diminishing returns works in this case... It's a Hobby To each their own, right? :)

Same could be said for a $15 casio watch and a Panerai watch. One doesn't tell time better than another.

Regardless, Luxman gear is awesome. I once had one of their full class-a home integrated amps at work and fell in love with it. It wasn't the most dynamic thing in the world, but oh boy, ot made some beautiful music.

Nice buy!!!!
law of diminishing returns still applies, if you choose to ignore it, that is your choice, lol. as i said, it is his money, he can spend it the way he sees fit.

for me, I will buy a product that performs 90% as good as something that costs 3X as much. at that point you are paying for exclusivity and bragging rights, lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the comments guys. i've been out of the car scene for a couple years and i was not happy with the last system i built, but then, who is ever happy with their system, lol.

last system was built for car shows and i had to make a lot of compromises in SQ for "showiness" (aesthetic points) and sponsors' needs. like everything i do, it went completely overboard and the build got waaaay too complicated.

it looked a little like this:

it gets a lot of attention and wins a lot of car shows which it was meant to do, but too many compromises were made and the SQ is lacking

so after a couple years of "i hate how this car sounds," "i really need to build a new system," "i can't hear my music they way it's supposed to be heard," etc, etc, my wife finally had enough and told me to build a new one...and again i went overboard, lol

i dunno why but i've always been in love with the shape of a station wagon and have wanted to build one so about year ago i picked up 2001 audi s4 as the platform and everything went down hill. one thing led to another and a simple 2.1 stereo upgrade turned into another full blown car build.

the car sits like this right now patiently waiting for me to put the stereo together. painted from the chassis up and fitted with a OEM RS4 widebody conversion.

motor pulled, being bored and built with some big turbos

i'm doing it right this time, no sponsors and judges to worry about, but that also means it's taking a long time since everything is coming out of my pocket (or actually, at my wife's mercy, lol)

2011 has been a huge year for computer audio with a lot of research and breakthrough for low-jitter/asynchronous USB audio breakthroughs. i've been following the craze wanting to build a true hi fidelity home entertainment system around a mac-mini...then the idea hit, why can't i do it in the car? so starting about 2 months ago i started researching carPC and have decided this was the route i want to go with this new build.

the idea is a carPC pass audio through one of new low-jitter/asynchronous USB to S/PDIF devices to an Audison Bit-one. i had originally already decided the amps and speakers but in my search for the macintosh blue meters that i've always wanted, i ended up with these luxman amps.

i'll be picking up the amps in taiwan in two weeks actually, saving the $350 shipping price), because i'm taking a business trip there. the seller seems like a really cool guy is in really into high-end home audio. he's invited me to his home/shop to check out his setup. it's almost like destiny isn't it? looking for Macs, ending up with something totally different and making a new friend half way across the world...at least that's what i'm telling my wife! lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
btw, if anyone in the los angeles area has some test equipment, i'd love to hook these amps up and run some benchmark tests. is there anyone i can get in touch with?

·
Registered
138 Posts
law of diminishing returns still applies, if you choose to ignore it, that is your choice, lol. as i said, it is his money, he can spend it the way he sees fit.

for me, I will buy a product that performs 90% as good as something that costs 3X as much. at that point you are paying for exclusivity and bragging rights, lol.
While I tend to agree with this statement, I too did reach over and above what my initial budget was for stereo / audio.

What I have implemented is buy high quality used equipment that is in excellent condition. That way you dont take the huge depreciation hit and if it doesn't quite fit the bill, you can resell it later and not loose too much in the process (shipping).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Must be nice to have money laying around just buy some nice equipment. Goodluck on your build/marriage. =)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Holy crap those amps are stunning, I spend alot of time on Audio Karma and I see how much people covet those vintage luxman home amps but I had no idea they made car audio stuff to!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
two passions of my life after family and friends is cars and music. i can't stay away from any of these things for too long. i've been listening, playing, creating, performing music for almost as long as i can remember and i've been working on cars with my dad and friends for a good 25+ years as well.

i do admit i have a very understanding wife, who although doesn't share the same passions as i do, is very supportive of what i love. to be honest, without her support (physically, mentally, and financially) i would not be able to do what i love to do...so with that said, props to my special lady!

so any suggestions for components to run with these amps?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts