DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Landrover Discovery with the 4"components factory. The 4" face each other directly at the thigh of the driver and passenger. The tweeters face down towards the driver and passenger croch.

I have the new PPI 3 way component set that will be powered by a Zed Audio Gladius.

Heres the kicker(not the brand:) I have an JBL MS 8 now also. Formally I was going to build kick panels or do pods on the dash.....but now that I have the MS8 do I really need to do that???

WOuldnt the processor do its crazy magic and set the stage?? With the processor my new plan was to install the tweeter and mid in the factory location and put my midbass under my front seats facing the dash.

What do you Audio Genius think about that approach???
:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your MS8 will not be able to correct all of the ways your sound quality will be affected by placing your midbasses in that position. It can adjust the time alignment to correct differences in how far each speaker is from your ear, but you will probably still be able to perceive that the sound is not coming form the same direction as your mids and tweeters. Your MS8 also has an equalizer to adjust the tonal balance, which may help correct problems with having your midbass speakers facing off-axis, but for the best sound quality you generally want to design your system to need as little equalizing as possible.

Even with the MS8, I think you'll get better imaging with the midbasses in the kick panels and with the tweeters and mids in dash pods.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were to drop the crossover point on the mid bass to say 200hz to 50hz do you still think it would be as big of an issue? Being that it's non directional?

·
Registered
17,874 Posts
A processor can only do so much when the drivers aren't placed good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I were to drop the crossover point on the mid bass to say 200hz to 50hz do you still think it would be as big of an issue? Being that it's non directional?
You could low-pass your midbasses at ~80 Hz to improve your imaging, although at that point they'd really just be little subwoofers. I'm not familiar with those PPI speakers, but I would guess that you wouldn't want those little mid drivers trying to play down to 80 Hz.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
This should work regardless...

mid bass in kicks or door
mids in upper door or pillars
tweets in sail panel or pillars

I have settled on midbass in kicks, mids in pillars and tweets in sail panel. running it 3 way like this, you can afford to turn your mids/midbasses off axis and aim your tweets slightly toward you, or where ever works for you.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the same set going into my C5 Corvette. The midbass drivers will be low and all the way forward in my doors. Damn near at the front edge of the kick panels. I'm going to angle them towards the listeners as much as possible. The 3" mids will be right above them in the doors and angled towards the listeners as well. I should be able to get a decent On-axis angle with them but certainly not 100%. The AMT tweets are in 2" wood spheres. The will first be mounted just off the a-pillars and be able to rotate. Once they are dialed in I will either leave them as is or build eye sockets into the a-pillars for the tweeter spheres to rest in and be able to rotate much like an eyeball.
I have the RF 3sixty.3 for dsp duty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts