DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so ive been exposing myself to severe brain cramping and anxieties trying to find the "right" amp for my build:juggle:. As i'm looking through the classifieds i spot a tasty ppi art a404 from a resident on the forum, and i decide that's the one! the set up im planning on running is a 3 channel- 50w x 2 + 200 x 1, all in 4ohm. ive read the owners manual and it's saying that the two stereo channels would be in 2ohm, and the mono would be in 4ohm. The comps i was planning on using (id ctx 6.5) recommends 4 ohm, and the sub i have is 4ohm. what do i do? if i have to change to a different set of comps it will throw a wrench in my plans. if i look for a different amp, ill probrably shoot myself in the face trying to find the "right" amp AGAIN! please, for the love of god, give me suggestions...

·
Registered
421 Posts
You only worry about amps becoming unstable at lower impedences (ohms). Your amp can handle 4 ohm loads.

·
Registered
940 Posts
ok, so ive been exposing myself to severe brain cramping and anxieties trying to find the "right" amp for my build:juggle:. As i'm looking through the classifieds i spot a tasty ppi art a404 from a resident on the forum, and i decide that's the one! the set up im planning on running is a 3 channel- 50w x 2 + 200 x 1, all in 4ohm. ive read the owners manual and it's saying that the two stereo channels would be in 2ohm, and the mono would be in 4ohm. The comps i was planning on using (id ctx 6.5) recommends 4 ohm, and the sub i have is 4ohm. what do i do? if i have to change to a different set of comps it will throw a wrench in my plans. if i look for a different amp, ill probrably shoot myself in the face trying to find the "right" amp AGAIN! please, for the love of god, give me suggestions...
What do you mean 2ohms is "recommended" for the components? They should have a rated impedance, and you would want to match that to your amplifier. If that amp is not stable at 2ohms, and that component set is 2ohm nominal, then you (probably) cannot use them together.

Component set;
impedance: 4 Ohms
RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts

Amp;
4 x 50W @ 4 ohms (0.02% THD)
4 x 100W @ 2 ohms
2 x 200W @ 4 ohms bridged

EDIT: I looked up that component set and amp(make sure the specs are right, everything I found on a a404 was a 4ch amp, not 3ch), and you should be fine. Run each side(sides being left and right) of the component set from one single channel; bridge the other 2 channels into 1 and run the sub off of that. Good to go.

Only issue with that is whatever you are running for a sub needs to present a 4ohm load to the amp however it is wired.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, im gonna break this down as best i can;

the manufacturer states the amp (ppi a404)will produce 50watts x 2 @2ohms PLUS 200watts @4ohms.

the specs on the id ctx 6.5's are :
# RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts
# Peak Power Handling: 200 Watts
# Frequency Response: +/- 3 db 58hz-22khz
# Efficiency @ 2.83 volts: 93dB
# Impedance: 4 Ohms

can my two stereo channels (50watts each, at 4ohms) work with these speakers?

·
Registered
940 Posts
ok, im gonna break this down as best i can;

the manufacturer states the amp (ppi a404)will produce 50watts x 2 @2ohms PLUS 200watts @4ohms.

the specs on the id ctx 6.5's are :
# RMS Power Handling: 100 Watts
# Peak Power Handling: 200 Watts
# Frequency Response: +/- 3 db 58hz-22khz
# Efficiency @ 2.83 volts: 93dB
# Impedance: 4 Ohms

can my two stereo channels (50watts each, at 4ohms) work with these speakers?
Is this the amp you are looking at?

Precision Power A404.2

This is a 4ch amp that can be ran in 3ch mode, but it is not just a 3ch amp. You are basically combining 2 of the 4ch's to utilize it as a 3ch.

And component set?

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=6201

If so, then you will be able to do like I told you earlier...

Run each side(sides being left and right) of the component set from one single channel; bridge the other 2 channels into 1 and run the sub off of that. Good to go.

Only issue with that is whatever you are running for a sub needs to present a 4ohm load to the amp however it is wired.[/B]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, the amp is an A404 art black series, and yes it is a 4ch. im absolutely, 100% positive (looking at the owners manual) the amp in the three channel setup- the two stereo channels will run in 2ohm. my question is; will the impedance recomendations of the comps handle the 2ohm load?

·
Registered
940 Posts
no, the amp is an A404 art black series, and yes it is a 4ch. im absolutely, 100% positive (looking at the owners manual) the amp in the three channel setup- the two stereo channels will run in 2ohm. my question is; will the impedance recomendations of the comps handle the 2ohm load?
I really do not think that is how it is going to happen, if that's how the manual reads, then I'd like to take a look at it. The speakers are what determine what load the amp "sees", the amp does not "put out 2 ohms", the amp "sees" a 2 ohm load from a 2 ohm speake/4ohm load from a 4ohm speaker.

With that said, if you run that amp in 3ch mode and use the component set you have(and hook it up the way I mentioned), each of the channels(on the amp) hooked up to a component set would "see" a 4 ohm nominal load, and the single channel (on the amp) for the sub would "see" a 4 ohm nominal load. The single sub channel is actually 2 single channels (on the amp)operating on a single 2ohm nominal load each.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I really do not think that is how it is going to happen, if that's how the manual reads, then I'd like to take a look at it. The speakers are what determine what load the amp "sees", the amp does not "put out 2 ohms", the amp "sees" a 2 ohm load from a 2 ohm speake/4ohm load from a 4ohm speaker.

With that said, if you run that amp in 3ch mode and use the component set you have(and hook it up the way I mentioned), each of the channels(on the amp) hooked up to a component set would "see" a 4 ohm nominal load, and the single channel (on the amp) for the sub would "see" a 4 ohm nominal load. The single sub channel is actually 2 single channels (on the amp)operating on a single 2ohm nominal load each.

MadMax is absolutely correct, I've had the A404 you will have no problems if you do as he has pointed out. Run front two channels to components and rear two channels bridged to sub! Buy the amp and enjoy PPI goodness!!

Here is link to owners manual

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That 404 is a nice amp. I had the 404.2.

50w x 4 @ 4 ohms
100w x 4 @ 2 ohms
200w x 2 @ 4 ohms

Just run the front two channels in stereo and bridge the rear. So you'll be doing 50w x 2 & 200 x 1 @ 4 ohms.

Btw don't pay more than 175 for that amp. You can get a ax404 with a built in crossover on ebay for a not selling price of 200.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That 404 is a nice amp. I had the 404.2.

50w x 4 @ 4 ohms
100w x 4 @ 2 ohms
200w x 2 @ 4 ohms

Just run the front two channels in stereo and bridge the rear. So you'll be doing 50w x 2 & 200 x 1 @ 4 ohms.

Btw don't pay more than 175 for that amp. You can get a ax404 with a built in crossover on ebay for a not selling price of 200.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the seller is asking $200 shipped. So, im figuring an extra $25 to have it shipped; isnt bad considering it cost my brother $11 to ship a paperback novel to me from NJ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts