DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 10" subs hooked to a 500/1 amp. the subs are 4 ohm each, since they are hooked to a mono amp does this mean they are now running at 2 ohms each

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have 2 10" subs hooked to a 500/1 amp. the subs are 4 ohm each, since they are hooked to a mono amp does this mean they are now running at 2 ohms each
Well that depends on whether or not you wired them in series or parallel and whether or not they are single or dual voice coil. Search around for how to wire series and parallel. Series will give you 8 ohms and parallel will give you 2 ohms. BTW that amp puts out the same power for 2-4 ohms.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that depends on whether or not you wired them in series or parallel and whether or not they are single or dual voice coil. Search around for how to wire series and parallel. Series will give you 8 ohms and parallel will give you 2 ohms. BTW that amp puts out the same power for 2-4 ohms.
since the amp is mono i ran one speaker wire from one to the next, and then up to the amp, they are single voice coil, i am trying to figure this for tuning, to set the gain voltage

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
It is buried if you will ...

1] mobile audio
2] support
3] tutorials

you get the idea { gotta keep digging }:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not too sure but by your brief description, it seems like you wired them in series, which would mean 8ohms seen by the amp so you're not getting the most out of it.

the 500/1 is stable down to 1.5ohms I believe, so you need to wire the subs in parallel to get a 2ohm load. So what you need to do is take the + of sub A and hook that up to the + of sub B. Do the same for the -. Then hook up the + and - of EITHER A OR B (not both) to the amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts